Prodigy for IOW

Guest Red Day

See the top story on efests shows the Prodigy headlining IOW.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/09/090121a.shtml

Pendulum and Ting Tings also playing.

Take it bands playing at IOW don't play Glasto ??, or at least not headliners. Prodigy not playing will disappoint a few folks who were hoping for them on the other stage.

Edited by Red Day

See the top story on efests shows the Prodigy headlining IOW.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/09/090121a.shtml

Pendulum and Ting Tings also playing.

Take it bands playing at IOW don't play Glasto ??, or at least not headliners. Prodigy not playing will disappoint a few folks who were hoping for them on the other stage.

It's unusual, tho not impossible, for headliners of a major fest to play another fest that is seen as directly competing. Because of IoW and Glasto's dates being close to each other, and their geographical locations being close-ish to each other) then IoW would very probably prefer (if not demand) that their headliners don't play Glasto. On (just) that basis, it's unlikely (tho not impossible) that Prodigy will play Glasto.

I believe (tho don't know for sure) that there's other 'issues' that exist between Prodigy and Glasto, which by itself makes their appearance unlikely (tho it's of course possible that these issues might get resolved one day).

I believe that Ting Tings have been lined up for months for Glasto, and fully expect them to appear. Festivals are less restrictive (other than Glasto - they're not restrictive at all) on what the undercard acts can also do than they are over headliners, so them playing IoW wouldn't necessarily rule them out of Glasto. Also, the fact that they'd have been very likely to have agreed to play Glasto before IoW approached them means that IoW would have to accept this or choose to not book them.

Cheers Neil.

In Scotland there does appear to be major 'issues' with bands being allowed to play any other Scottish festival if they are signed up for T in the Park, and that includes almost every band regardless if they're first on one of the smaller stages.

Spoke to someone involved in a smaller Scottish festival and he was saying it's like hitting your head against a brick wall trying to secure a reasonable line up as most bands jump at the chance of playing T and then sign the agreement not to play elswhere in the country.

Cheers Neil.

In Scotland there does appear to be major 'issues' with bands being allowed to play any other Scottish festival if they are signed up for T in the Park, and that includes almost every band regardless if they're first on one of the smaller stages.

Spoke to someone involved in a smaller Scottish festival and he was saying it's like hitting your head against a brick wall trying to secure a reasonable line up as most bands jump at the chance of playing T and then sign the agreement not to play elswhere in the country.

Ideally, no festival would allow the acts its booked to play anywhere else that might impact on its own sales.

With the likes of the major fests except Glasto, I believe that they pretty much insist on restrictive clauses for a big chunk of their acts. They're able to have the bands accept this condition because those bands see the prestige of playing a major fest as worth more to them than playing other competing fests.

However, an amount of pragmatism has to get mixed in. If a fest (say T in the Park) wants a band that has already agreed to play elsewhere (say Rock Ness) then they'd have to accept that or not get the band.

And they have to take a different view again with Glasto. Because of Glastonbury's prestige nearly every band wants to play it, and would quite possibly turn down an offer from another fest if it ruled them out (even despite Glasto paying poor money in comparison).

Luckily, and which gives things a bit balance, Glasto doesn't announce it's lineup until a short time before the fest, meaning that ity doesn't impact on other fests as greatly as it might do.

(this is a situation that came about for different reasons than that, but I reckon it would now make things difficult for Glasto if it was to return to announcing it's line-up around the same ti as the other fests).

Sheesh, I'd never thought about the other festi tie in, I was hoping that The Prodg would be doing the circuit and play Glasto as well as IOW, they need to play Glasto as I was a complete numpty and didn't get ticktes in time for them playing my home town!!!

fingers crossed anyway

Ideally, no festival would allow the acts its booked to play anywhere else that might impact on its own sales.

With the likes of the major fests except Glasto, I believe that they pretty much insist on restrictive clauses for a big chunk of their acts. They're able to have the bands accept this condition because those bands see the prestige of playing a major fest as worth more to them than playing other competing fests.

However, an amount of pragmatism has to get mixed in. If a fest (say T in the Park) wants a band that has already agreed to play elsewhere (say Rock Ness) then they'd have to accept that or not get the band.

And they have to take a different view again with Glasto. Because of Glastonbury's prestige nearly every band wants to play it, and would quite possibly turn down an offer from another fest if it ruled them out (even despite Glasto paying poor money in comparison).

Luckily, and which gives things a bit balance, Glasto doesn't announce it's lineup until a short time before the fest, meaning that ity doesn't impact on other fests as greatly as it might do.

(this is a situation that came about for different reasons than that, but I reckon it would now make things difficult for Glasto if it was to return to announcing it's line-up around the same ti as the other fests).