90% of tickets sold for Glastonbury Festival

Guest mike99

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before around 2000, it used to be really easy to get a ticket for Glastonbury up to a week before. It's only recently that the festival sold out in a mater of hours. So last year was actually a move back to the norm.

Add to that, the increase in capacity has obviously had an effect.

Regarding the changing demand for tickets, I think there are a few factors involved:

Firstly, the option of jumping the fence disappeared in 2002. Everyone who wants to go must now buy a ticket. This wasn't true at all pre-superfence.

Secondly, Glastonbury used to be pretty much ignored by the mainstream until about ten years ago. Throughout the 00's it became incredibly cool to be able to say "I'm going to glasto", and ticket demand went through the roof. Last year that all changed, the media all suddenly started slagging the festival off and it suddenly became cool to say "Glasto has lost its mojo" => ticket demand has dropped again because people didn't want to appear uncool :lol:

Thirdly, there are loads more festivals now than there were ten years ago, so there is a lot more choice.

Do we think that if it were to use the same selling method as the past two years it would sell out instantly

dunno, good question

Prince (but he'll never play)

Maybe the Rolling Stones. Possibly, but I'm not that convinced

The Faces (if they reformed)

I really can't think of any stadium size bands that do it for me. I don't know, I'm going to go through my music tonight and ponder it a bit more

dunno, good question

Prince (but he'll never play)

Maybe the Rolling Stones. Possibly, but I'm not that convinced

The Faces (if they reformed)

I really can't think of any stadium size bands that do it for me. I don't know, I'm going to go through my music tonight and ponder it a bit more