Extremely large tent

Guest bibligal

Hi,

We have a choice of two tents for this year. One is an enormous Wynnster Apollo 16 (16 people that is) and the other a rather respectable Khyam 6 man. My question is: Is it very selfish to take the large tent? By large, I mean four large bedrooms and a living area you could park a Zafira in comfortably. Having the extra living space means that our extended family group can gather with us if the weather is not so good. The smaller one is obviously okay, but not great if the weather turns. We plan to get to Glastonbury on Weds morning about 10am, and will no doubt get a spot, but what will fellow campers think of the excessive 16 man tent?

Be brutal. We can take it!

J

Hi,

We have a choice of two tents for this year. One is an enormous Wynnster Apollo 16 (16 people that is) and the other a rather respectable Khyam 6 man. My question is: Is it very selfish to take the large tent? By large, I mean four large bedrooms and a living area you could park a Zafira in comfortably. Having the extra living space means that our extended family group can gather with us if the weather is not so good. The smaller one is obviously okay, but not great if the weather turns. We plan to get to Glastonbury on Weds morning about 10am, and will no doubt get a spot, but what will fellow campers think of the excessive 16 man tent?

J

I'd say the biggest potential issue with a 16 man tent is trying to get the thing up and down.

Even if it's dry and with a few of you working on it, you'll likely lose several hours of your Wednesday and Monday. If it was wet, then it'd be torture. But it won't be wet.

I don't think many people will actually object to you taking a tent of that size, but you shouldn't expect much in the way of sympathy or help..

There's usually about 8 of us. We go for 8 2-man tents and a gazebo in the middle for several reasons.

1. Lighter, everyone can take their own.

2. It's better sitting under a gazebo than in a tent.

3. Cheaper.

4. Easier to put up.

5. Everyone gets their own space.

I'd say the biggest potential issue with a 16 man tent is trying to get the thing up and down.

Even if it's dry and with a few of you working on it, you'll likely lose several hours of your Wednesday and Monday. If it was wet, then it'd be torture. But it won't be wet.

I don't think many people will actually object to you taking a tent of that size, but you shouldn't expect much in the way of sympathy or help..

There's usually about 8 of us. We go for 8 2-man tents and a gazebo in the middle for several reasons.

1. Lighter, everyone can take their own.

2. It's better sitting under a gazebo than in a tent.

3. Cheaper.

4. Easier to put up.

5. Everyone gets their own space.

We had the same predicament last year. We decided to take the bigger tent (12 man with living area) We got there early on weds so not a problem when it came to space for it. Although we felt a bit sefish when putting it up to our neighbours, I cant tell you how glad they were when it was pissing down on the thursday night and blowing such a gale that sitting under thier gazebo wasnt an option. There was enough space for loads of us in there!

If you take it just go make friends with the people around them and offer dry space for things and shelter if it rains. They will be fine I am sure!

Hi,

J

We had the same predicament last year. We decided to take the bigger tent (12 man with living area) We got there early on weds so not a problem when it came to space for it. Although we felt a bit sefish when putting it up to our neighbours, I cant tell you how glad they were when it was pissing down on the thursday night and blowing such a gale that sitting under thier gazebo wasnt an option. There was enough space for loads of us in there!

If you take it just go make friends with the people around them and offer dry space for things and shelter if it rains. They will be fine I am sure!

I would have loved a tent with a middle bit where you could stand up - possibly not a 16 man tent mind you but the space is fab, and all I really wanted to do was hang up my wet rain coat to dry!

It seems much easier with more little tents, but wouldn't several smaller tents + a gazebo actually be bigger than the 16 man tent. Am I just having a lack of perspective day :lol:

Edit: Just googled... what a beast!!

Edited by verrymerry