Best Glastonbury performence (since 1990)?

Guest alframsey

Which one?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite?

• Johnny Cash-1994
    • Orbital-1994
    • Pulp-1995
    • Podigy-1995
    • Radiohead-1997
    • David Bowie-2000
    • Roger Waters-2002 (thought i'd throw this in as i remember it being amazing!)
    • Paul McCartney-2004
    • MUSE-2004
    • Levellers-2005
    • Iggy & The Stooges-2007
    • Leonard Cohen-2008
    • Kings of Leon-2008
    • Jay z-2008

Being a Glasto Newbie I can't in all conscience vote for anything but Jay-Z on that list, was a great gig though I'm not mad about his music (!). Leonard Cohen was good too. Not a life-changing moment like Faithless '02 looks like on Youtube! If it leaves me buzzing just watching a grainy online vid then it must have been electric being there, I am so jealous of all you guys who saw it! Please please Faithless back this year!

For me in '08, Reverend and the Makers doing Heavyweight Champion in John Peel was up there, great tune and the crowd was really into it. I caught Kosheen doing All in My Head after Jay-Z finished and that was fabulous too. FLC were great, and I liked Jimmy Cliff's opening line: "Hello Glastonbury London England"!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many newbies (circa 08) are voting in this poll?

i know i wasnt there but it's very difficult to believe that Jay Z was on a par with many of the acts listed.

not only that, the fact that one the greatest bands of all time were on at the same time on the other stage and people are still voting for bling rap astounds me :D

still, i suppose different strokes for different folks, but had i been able to make it, nothing could have persuaded me to miss Massive Attack. :O

how many newbies (circa 08) are voting in this poll?

i know i wasnt there but it's very difficult to believe that Jay Z was on a par with many of the acts listed.

not only that, the fact that one the greatest bands of all time were on at the same time on the other stage and people are still voting for bling rap astounds me :D

still, i suppose different strokes for different folks, but had i been able to make it, nothing could have persuaded me to miss Massive Attack. :O

I can't believe no one's mentioned Brian Wilson. I've done, dunno, 11 or 12 Glasts and I've never seen anything like that.

The circumstances, weather, crowd and setlist made it better than anything I've ever seen before or since, and the guy who (literally) surfed over the crowd - what a f**king Glasto legend. And there was the Banksy tent floating over the Pyramid. And he began the set with a tribute Phil Spector - what a moment!

Basement Jaxx were decent that evening too, the Chems are always good, and I've got fond memories of the Cure back in 95 too.

Oh, and Moby was brilliant on the Pyramid too.

Edited by Homer

I can't believe no one's mentioned Brian Wilson. I've done, dunno, 11 or 12 Glasts and I've never seen anything like that.

The circumstances, weather, crowd and setlist made it better than anything I've ever seen before or since, and the guy who (literally) surfed over the crowd - what a f**king Glasto legend. And there was the Banksy tent floating over the Pyramid. And he began the set with a tribute Phil Spector - what a moment!

I remember having real doubts about which way it would go, but as soon as he came on and started with "And Then He Kissed Me" it was like nothing else I've ever seen.

I'm usually really dubious about people who cry at gigs, but I bizarrely kep semi breaking down while I was singing along because the man is such a f**king legend and it was so good. I think it was also a combination of the sun being out, bring with a big group of mates together, and everything coming around after the flash flood (I was also pretty pissed).

Slightly strange behaviour but, hey, the proof is in the pudding.

Hehe, I don't disagree with you Tugger2k, it was awful to miss Massive Attack, but in the way that always happens at Glasto I had to choose, and I went with JayZ for a number of reasons - firstly it was a triple bill on Pyramid of Manu Chao, Amy Winehouse then him, and I was right near the front (almost close enough to be punched, haha), secondly there were rumours of "friends" joining him on stage - Chris Martin, Beyonce etc (didn't actually happen, oh well), and finally as a result of Gallagher's ill-thought-out comments it had become almost an anti-racism ticket, or at least supporting every kind of music belonging at Glasto. Frankly I didn't know anything about his music, and still don't - it's not really my cup of tea, but there was some good showmanship with the video intro leading into JayZ swaggering out on stage playing Wonderwall with the crowd singing along.

Here's to hoping I'll be facing some "terrible" clashes this year too!

Edited by Tugger2k

Stupid poll

none of the following

Faithless 02

Doves 02 other stage closing set Sunday

Electric 6 possibly the biggest crowd ever at Other Stage then having the bottle to do Gay Bar & High Voltage first so the crowd could f**k off!!!!

Coldplay 03??? 1st time pyramid

Kasabian 07 what a set!!!!

Fun Lovon Criminals

Franz Ferdinand again other stage

Twang headlining JP 07

Candi Staton 08 Jazz World

Eddie Grant 08 Jazz World

Proclaimers 08

The Music 03

Edwyn Collins Park Stage 08 possibly the most emotional set I have ever witnessed at Glasto

So many fantastic shows yet you pick possibly the worst of Glastonbury apart from Bowie in 2000 & KOL last year. Roger Waters was probably one of the worst things I ever saw at Glasto followed by boring wailing bloody Radiohead in 03 jesus there is so much more to Glasto than the pyramid headliners you know!!!!

Can't vote on this until Faithless are added ... and it would appear a number of others agree

.. not a 'stupid' poll but just ill considered

Very few of those on your list are amongst the most often quoted 'seminal' Glastonbury moments ( I know they may not necessarily be the 'best') ... but Faithless 02 are one of them

If I had to vote only from your list it would be Bowie

Hehe, I don't disagree with you Tugger2k, it was awful to miss Massive Attack, but in the way that always happens at Glasto I had to choose, and I went with JayZ for a number of reasons - firstly it was a triple bill on Pyramid of Manu Chao, Amy Winehouse then him, and I was right near the front (almost close enough to be punched, haha), secondly there were rumours of "friends" joining him on stage - Chris Martin, Beyonce etc (didn't actually happen, oh well), and finally as a result of Gallagher's ill-thought-out comments it had become almost an anti-racism ticket, or at least supporting every kind of music belonging at Glasto. Frankly I didn't know anything about his music, and still don't - it's not really my cup of tea, but there was some good showmanship with the video intro leading into JayZ swaggering out on stage playing Wonderwall with the crowd singing along.

Here's to hoping I'll be facing some "terrible" clashes this year too!

Has it been decided that '99 had no redeeming acts?

4 from that year:

Manics - 10 ft away from Nicky wire skipping with a rope in a flowery dress

REM - perfect , sat back up on the hill and soaked it in

Jurassic 5 - phenomenal

Super Furry Animals - dusk, sunny, great atmosphere, then someone tried to drive a vw van through the MIDDLE of the crowd! Needless to say the van got about 50yds in then got an absolute battering...

Omg - We have 5 months to go and I can't believe how addicted I am to efestivals already. I normally try and hold off until a couple of months before Glasto before reading about it as I can't take the excitement!!

I only started going in 2007 so can't really vote on that list. I expect I would have been loving faithless and orbital but obviously I wasn't actually there...

The Who in 2007 has been the best Glasto performance for me. Utterly amazing.