Dave Gilmour..

Guest Sam Crawley

So on some of the other sites Dave Gilmour has cropped up as a rumoured play for this year, though I'm not sure what this is based on. So here's what I imagine... now they're friends again (cough) after Live8, Dave mentions this slot he's booked to do over a pint with Mr Waters, who says, "Hey Dave, why don't I come along and play with you?". Pink Floyd at Glastonbury, I will have died and gone via the Stone Circle to heaven!!

Madge, the Boss et al will never quite cut it for me when I've got this dream playing on my mind, hehe!

So on some of the other sites Dave Gilmour has cropped up as a rumoured play for this year, though I'm not sure what this is based on. So here's what I imagine... now they're friends again (cough) after Live8, Dave mentions this slot he's booked to do over a pint with Mr Waters, who says, "Hey Dave, why don't I come along and play with you?". Pink Floyd at Glastonbury, I will have died and gone via the Stone Circle to heaven!!

Madge, the Boss et al will never quite cut it for me when I've got this dream playing on my mind, hehe!

I must say, i am always a little disapointted every year when i realise there is very little chance of Pink Floyd playing Glastonbury. Ive seen Dave and Roger, along with Rick and Nick respectively. But it will never be the same unless i see the 'whole' band up there (obviously without Syd and Rick). I saw them at Live8, and i will die a happy man simply because of that, but i think Glastonbury would be the perfect setting for them!!!

And there has been some sightings, i admit last year during october and november of David, Roger and their respective 'teams' dining together. So i remain hopeful!!!!!

I think anyone who thinks that should watch this and reconsider the statement.

<youtube 1 2 3>

I was there at the show that night and that was one, if not the best thing I've ever seen played live. truly staggering.

Edited by DaveMac

David Gilmour, a resounding YES! Seen David Gilmour in Glasgow a few years ago touring 'On An Island' and I'd pay double just to see that show again. Pink Floyd with Waters though, NO! And my reason for this is the passing of Rick Wright. With Rick (R.I.P) passing I feel any glimmer of hope of Waters taking the stage with the Floyd again has vanished.

Thanks for that ralph250 - excellent example of David Gilmour's musical abilities, along with the late GREAT Richard Wright R.I.P.

I loved 'Echoes' from the 70's and was glad that David Gilmour resurrected it in the last few years.

I think it would be my 'Desert Island Disc' :) - The 'Live in Gdansk' version is also sublime btw.

I missed the Albert Hall concert alas - looked a great show - you were very fortunate to see him.

I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd at Earls Court on the Wednesday in '94 - best concert of my life !

Anyway anyone who thinks David Gilmour is not a master musician in his own right needs their head examining.

Roger Waters is a great musician too btw. I saw him twice in 2002, once at Glastonbury but given the choice of watching him or David Gilmour I would chose DG every time ! :)

If David Gilmour came to Glasto I would be first in line to see him but with Rick's departure it is unlikely to happen but I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

A reckon a lot of people would be glad to see such a guitar legend as David Gilmour perform at Glasto at least once.

In 43 years of following Pink Floyd et al I have only once ( Live 8) known Dave Gilmour go back on something that he has said about the way PF is run. That was after massive pressure from Geldorf and the threat of publicly balming DG for not allowing the Live 8 performance ... you only have to look at he footage and subsequent interviews to see that he was not 1005 happy with the Live 8 scenario

He ( the company actually) does 'own' the name and therefore has control over how it is used ...he has said recently in 2 separate contexts that following the death of Rick that 'Pink Floyd'

1) have ceased to exist

2) will NEVER play again as a band ....no change to the situation that presently exists

I also know someone who is high up in a company that is intimately involved with Dave and talks with him frequently .... DG is adamant they will NEVER EVER play again under the Pink Floyd name .... mainly as a mark of respect to Rick ..who was after all a founder member

Many many times in that past few years DG has said that he is now 'DG and friends' and NOT Pink Floyd

There are 100s of issues related to the Gilmour / Waters relationship that continue to be debated today on the many PF forums ...strangely enough mainly by people who have never seen them live or were not even born when PF started!!

For what it is worth ...IMHO Dave Gilmour is better at doing a wider range of PF music than RW ... but RW is probably better at doing his 'own' stuff ...but his versions do miss DG and sometimes Nick Mason

I also believe that DG's recent output to be much better than RW's and that DG ( with Nick and Rick) has developed 'Pink Floyd' music far more than RW has with his performances

..... and personally I still find it difficult to forgive RW for letting his ego nearly destroy the greatest band in the world ..ever...bar none

In 43 years of following Pink Floyd et al I have only once ( Live 8) known Dave Gilmour go back on something that he has said about the way PF is run. That was after massive pressure from Geldorf and the threat of publicly balming DG for not allowing the Live 8 performance ... you only have to look at he footage and subsequent interviews to see that he was not 1005 happy with the Live 8 scenario

He ( the company actually) does 'own' the name and therefore has control over how it is used ...he has said recently in 2 separate contexts that following the death of Rick that 'Pink Floyd'

1) have ceased to exist

2) will NEVER play again as a band ....no change to the situation that presently exists

I also know someone who is high up in a company that is intimately involved with Dave and talks with him frequently .... DG is adamant they will NEVER EVER play again under the Pink Floyd name .... mainly as a mark of respect to Rick ..who was after all a founder member

Many many times in that past few years DG has said that he is now 'DG and friends' and NOT Pink Floyd

There are 100s of issues related to the Gilmour / Waters relationship that continue to be debated today on the many PF forums ...strangely enough mainly by people who have never seen them live or were not even born when PF started!!

For what it is worth ...IMHO Dave Gilmour is better at doing a wider range of PF music than RW ... but RW is probably better at doing his 'own' stuff ...but his versions do miss DG and sometimes Nick Mason

I also believe that DG's recent output to be much better than RW's and that DG ( with Nick and Rick) has developed 'Pink Floyd' music far more than RW has with his performances

..... and personally I still find it difficult to forgive RW for letting his ego nearly destroy the greatest band in the world ..ever...bar none

1) have ceased to exist

1) have ceased to exist

just look at the body language between them - these are not men comfortable in eachothers company.

it will never happen again.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FL0Tezc6A

best thing about this for me was my mate was working as a studio booker at the time, i got to see them both rehearse. it was mental, at one moment we were listing to DG & co playing comfortably numb, then we walked over to the other shed and RW was playing it as well - very cool, very bizarre!!

Edited by Tugger2k

just look at the body language between them - these are not men comfortable in eachothers company.

it will never happen again.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FL0Tezc6A

best thing about this for me was my mate was working as a studio booker at the time, i got to see them both rehearse. it was mental, at one moment we were listing to DG & co playing comfortably numb, then we walked over to the other shed and RW was playing it as well - very cool, very bizarre!!

yeah, i had good time for a couple of years while he was there - id get a phone call in the afternoon from him saying "such and such are in the studio fancy coming over"

gilmore, waters & radiohead were all very good.

not quite as good as Bonham Jr, Jones, Page & Plant tho :lol:

Strewth !!!***!! ....just looked at the You Tube video

I was there but had absolutely no idea it was being filmed !! ... even got my car in!!

I live with 3 miles of Bray Studios and often get in via the back door ... saw both

DG and RW but did not realise they actually met

PS... to the above post ... nobody can do the vocals on Comfortably Numb as well as Roger!! ...and NOBODY can do the guitar as well as DG

Strewth !!!***!! ....just looked at the You Tube video

I was there but had absolutely no idea it was being filmed !! ... even got my car in!!

I live with 3 miles of Bray Studios and often get in via the back door ... saw both

DG and RW but did not realise they actually met

PS... to the above post ... nobody can do the vocals on Comfortably Numb as well as Roger!! ...and NOBODY can do the guitar as well as DG