The Glastonbury 2009 Flag thread

Guest Paul ™

So as the summer time approaches and the nights start to get lighter, it's time to start my new flag

After 2 years, 16 festivals and thousands of miles it's time to retire the old flag (it will remain in the loft ;))

DSCF0184.jpg

Since the website has had a facelift, I thought I might go for a fresh new look. Needs to be eFestival related but not focusing on the logo if not required (or if Neil doesn't agree).

So any ideas folks?

Plain flag, materials, etc are all easily got so give it your best thoughts :P

I think you should just have - Paul™

I did used to have a CND peace flag (bought my own, not the ones sold at Glastonbury) but it was stolen at Reading Festival :'(

So, I'm wondering what to have now. Should it be a traditional peace flag or something more creative?? I'm tempted to wait for the lineup and have a bands logo on a flag.

Hi Paul,

Was just thinking does the flag have to be so traditional and a bit plain?

How about a longish flag; not necessrily rectangular - like you see at the Jazzworld stage etc and make the flag background material a bit more colourful? e.g. Sunburst, rainbow etc

Hope this is not too heretical ;)

Good luck with your project I'm sure you will have lots of useful suggestions and an excellent new eFestivals flag at the end of it. :P

I am all good with flags between acts to meet up with friends etc... But flags at the front of the Pyramid Stage blocking peoples' view and generally being an inconvenience... Just so that at the next dinner party you can point out your flag on your sky+ recording of that MOR headliner is freaking pointless. Put the flag away during the sets, personally i loved it when Ian Brown burnt some ones flag at whatever Glasto it was, it may have been from some political reason, however the action was good.

I am all good with flags between acts to meet up with friends etc... But flags at the front of the Pyramid Stage blocking peoples' view and generally being an inconvenience... Just so that at the next dinner party you can point out your flag on your sky+ recording of that MOR headliner is freaking pointless. Put the flag away during the sets, personally i loved it when Ian Brown burnt some ones flag at whatever Glasto it was, it may have been from some political reason, however the action was good.

I love having a flag by my tent, but I honestly couldn't be arsed to lug one around with me all day just to wave it around by the stage and get on telly!

Each to their own and all that, but I just don't get it. Besides, I'd probably just end up poking someone in the eye with it, or losing it after one too many at the Brother's bar.

Do they release figures for flag-related injuries at Glastonbury? I bet there are a few!

After 2 years, 16 festivals and thousands of miles it's time to retire the old flag (it will remain in the loft ;))

After 4 glastos I bought my first flag last year, (well first pole and two flags amazed at how cheap it was) however due to the high winds during Neil Diamond and a slightly inebriated girlfriend (ahem) my proud somerset flag blew off the top never to be seen again, (despite said inebriated girlfriend insisting she would find it and disappearing into the crowd!)

Anyway I was thinking about a bit of self design as well this year and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on where to get decent materials and also whether its easy enough to do! ;)

Also whats the best way of fastening them to the ground as i'm thinking about just having a campsite based one this year

I painted my own flag last year - I think it came out quite well: http://flickr.com/photos/johnmcga/25847585...57605648124920/

Got the flagpole and flag from http://www.skyblueleisure.co.uk/ - good service and fast delivery.

Got some fabric paints from Hobbycraft (make sure you get opaque, waterproof ones) and blew up a picture I got off the internet.

A lot of tracing later and I had the outline drawn, then I just filled it in with paint.

Be warned that it takes longer than you think to paint. Also, the flag material is thin so the paint does seep through, sticking to anything on the other side of the flag (or damaging your floor / table).

I just used the included stake to fasten the flagpole to the ground. Went in no problem and stayed up all weekend. Might be a different story in waterlogged ground though!

Edited by glasto_mongrel_2008

Yeaaahhhhh!!!! A flag thread, am officially excited about Glasto now, had much fun flag-making beofre last year. What an experience!! I love the excitement/stress of flag making!! Oh the possibilities for a new one! :D

Skyblue are the bets and fast delivery too!

Paul.....it won't be the same without your flag, but I am sure that you'll make your new one ace!

:D

Everytime I go to post a picture it comes up "Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed", never had this problem before as have posted a few pictures in the past. I'm using http://www.imageshack.us/ and have always copied the "Show image to friends" link :D

Have I forgotten how to do it right? :D