Going to Glasto early?

Guest Paul ™

Posted this in the MFG, however thought I would copy it over to here.. just to guage interest as too soon to make any firm plans :)

Hey,

I know it's very early but just wanted to gauge the interest in any pre-Glasto activities this year.

Last year quite a few of us met up on the Tuesday night in the pub for pre-Glasto drinks and a drunken climb of the Tor! :)

/index.php?showtopic=97536&hl=oaks&st=0">Last years thread

Some stayed in hostels, B+B's and some camped.. and at night we all met in the Riflemans Pub!

We camped in the Old Oaks Campsite which was ok, only thing was they don't allow big groups to book, so we all ended up spread across the site.. but for 1 night it did the job.

Nearby there is also the Isle of Avalon Campsite though not stayed there and heard it has mixed reviews.

Anyway no doubt there will be the same happening this year, with talks of some people going down and spending a few days locally before heading to Glastonbury town for the Tuesday night.

Last year, Avebury was mentioned for the spending the Summer Solstice, which is on Sunday 21st June at 5:45am this year.

There is a campsite near Avebury which might be ok, pretty sure it is the nearest one anyway.

I am planning on going down on the Saturday, stay near Avebury for a couple nights then head to Glastonbury for the Mon/Tue nights.

I know quite a few people expressed an interest in meeting up on the Tuesday again, but who is up for a few more days in the area?

And who is up for the Tuesday night?

:)

Edited by Paul ™

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found these pictures from Avebury last year. I'm getting just as excited about the summer solstice as I am about Glastonbury. I've always wanted to go (to a summer solstice celebration) but never really had the chance and didn't really fancy it on my own anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/ima...8_gallery.shtml

Just found these pictures from Avebury last year. I'm getting just as excited about the summer solstice as I am about Glastonbury. I've always wanted to go (to a summer solstice celebration) but never really had the chance and didn't really fancy it on my own anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/ima...8_gallery.shtml

I'm afraid I won't be joining in early as a good night's sleep is the best thing for me before the festival (Boring I know - sorry!)

Anyway, back to the first mention; the Isle of Avalon campsite in Glastonbury I believe gets booked fairly early for those days before the festival, so you may want to phone and book soon. I've stayed there twice, just for a couple of nights each time and it's fine - does the job. The tenting area is a straight forward field; no kids play area, and the owners are miserable, but the loos & showers are good and clean.

So there's my mini-review if you're interested!

Anyway, back to the first mention; the Isle of Avalon campsite in Glastonbury I believe gets booked fairly early for those days before the festival, so you may want to phone and book soon. I've stayed there twice, just for a couple of nights each time and it's fine - does the job. The tenting area is a straight forward field; no kids play area, and the owners are miserable, but the loos & showers are good and clean.

So there's my mini-review if you're interested!

Put me down for going to avebury too, I'll camp wherever the majority are going from the saturday.

and if anyone needs a lift I can pick anyone up from anywhere from Reading to avebury/glastonbury.

Avebury stone circle is hundreds of years older than Stonehenge. Plus you can walk right up to the stones without having to pay an entrance fee like at Stonehenge and its open 24 hours a day all year round. Personally I think Avebury is much more intresting than Stonehenge.

I would love to go Avebury this year with everyone but not sure if I can get all the time I need off work for it yet! But I will definatly be in Glasto town area on the Tues!

Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice is a no no as far as i am concerned. it is so controlled that it is now a "come and enjoy the event , but on the Government's Terms" type of do. i used to love to meet everyone at Stonehenge, or trying to get to Stonehenge.........................

I suspect that the next time I go to Stonehenge for the Solstice will be when "They" say we can't go there anymore ..............................

Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice is a no no as far as i am concerned. it is so controlled that it is now a "come and enjoy the event , but on the Government's Terms" type of do. i used to love to meet everyone at Stonehenge, or trying to get to Stonehenge.........................

I suspect that the next time I go to Stonehenge for the Solstice will be when "They" say we can't go there anymore ..............................