Camping in Campervan field?

Guest Late

This year there will only be 4 of us going, but 2 will be in a campervan. We really want to camp together so is it possible to pitch a small tent in the campervan field?

Has anyone seen this done?

Thanks

That will be no problem at all. They normally allow 1 tent per campervan (the tent pitching behind the camper).

Our group, a couple of years back, took 3 campers and 5 tents! No problem as long as you are not blocking a fire lane.

No, it won't block the lane and even if you did they would just ask you to move your tent so that it doesn't. Stop worrying!

There will be plenty of room for your tents. We had more tents than campers when we did it and we weren't the only ones. Oh I forgot to add that we also had all the awnings open and a gazebo!

It's not very big so will easily fit a tent behind it which is good news.

My only other concern is how safe it is in this area being outside the main fence? Has anyone ever been robbed or had their tent invaded in this area?

Thanks

I have stayed in the campervan fields every year since 2003 and have never had any problems. There is usually a big group of us (4-5 campervan/caravans and 5 tents). The stewards are usually pretty cool and even help you out so that you can all camp together.

Touch wood but never had any problems with people robbing or anything. There are usually stewards doing rounds and there is always loads of people around anyway. It is a thouroughly nice place to be and i would never camp on site again. Just make sure you dont lose your ticket, pass out or wrist band!

See you there!!

Yeah definately. Its pretty quite. You still get noise drifting up from the site, particular Lost vaguness and the new area that is there now, but i quite like that.

Last year i had to go back up to the camper after the fratellis on friday due to back pain (and im only 25! Doh!) and sat outside with a beer listening to Franz Ferdinand on the Park stage as it was drifting across. Was pretty nice.

The answer to the first two is "depends which particular campervan field you're in" (sorry!). I've never been in a field with a slope myself, but you see you some vans on The Hill Of Death (which I'm not even sure is an official camping field) precariously levelled against all odds. I've never had to use the levelling blocks myself anyway.

I've never been more than five minutes walk from PGC either, despite never being in the closest fields. You could end up further away, but not significantly so. In my experience the distance to your campervan from PGC (Hill Of Death notwithstanding!) is less than the distance to PGC from wherever you decide to call it a night.

There are food outlets in the campervan fields but they're largely of the burger van / bacon roll variety (I guess because most folk cater for themselves, because they can), don't expect the riches and variety you get inside the fence.

The last two or three years the Hill of Death field has been used strictly for staff parking, not general public customers. However, the very top on the flat part of the same field has been used for overflow public campervans. All other campervan fields are flat or very nearly flat.

Regards to security, imo its alot more secure than within the fence these days. Because theres no wandering large crowds in these fields anyone else sticks out like a sore thumb and the ever present security will be hassling them like a flash. Not always a plus point if its the fourth time you've been stopped and searched and its only Friday afternoon! Still thats the price you pay for camping in a cosy secure field.

Edited by Cooter