Glastinflation

Guest TomfromStroud

Still tho I must say I would love to go to the States and do a festival out there for the lols! Alot of my fave bands never play the UK and seem to only leg around the US.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£175 over the year is less than 50p a day for 3 days unlimited entertainment

when you consider the likes of madonna charge up to £80 a ticket for a stadium gig then the value is immense

glasto has never been about what bands are on the line up and will/should never be

Good Post.

It's going to be very tough for me and the GF this year.

I agree that the whole 5 day thing is a valid point but it does seem to be going exponentially up.

I also have a grievance with the whole 1st of feb payment date.

I know weve all had time to save for it, but just after crimbo and new year does not help with the payment, esspecially in 2009's economic climate.

I realise the ticket agency will need time to process the 'non-paid' tickets but seeing as they didnt usually go on sale until april i still feel that they could give us another month to get our finances sorted.

The key question for me.... Is it worth £175 for everything you get.... Yes, yes and yes!

Is the price really all that much higher? What is the average rate of inflation since 1999 ?

EDIT : Just read it properly... That is quite a jump.

Begs the question...does glasto offer to much ? Cost has jumped partly due to a much bigger offering...

No doubt council interference has driven costs as well due to extra security etc etc etc

Edited by oafc0000

Yeh I think that is a tad unfair.

If you read my post from earlier I don't think the Jan date was well thought out.

Jan was always going to be difficult and I also did not have the money at hand in October.

If the deadline was pushed back to March then for one my Council tax finished this months so that would have been diverted to pay for the ticket. (don't know if this is the same as everybody else?)

So personal circumstances and have dictated when it can be paid and to be fair Jan 31st Sucks.

Also I am not sure I want five days of bands and music either. I am sure a lot of you do and that's great but for me the first two days were all about getting settled in, getting drunk and what not with mates and random people. Finally when Friday does come along a chilled time was had by all.

£175 over the year is less than 50p a day for 3 days unlimited entertainment

when you consider the likes of madonna charge up to £80 a ticket for a stadium gig then the value is immense

glasto has never been about what bands are on the line up and will/should never be

Up until 2008 the argument could be used that the price was too low because tickets were in incredible demand. An increase in the number of tickets available and a slight decrease in demand (thanks to 3 years of rain) meant this wasn't true anymore.

The fact that tickets have been on sale for a few months now without selling out suggest that the price won't be going up again and that we should expect a decrease in numbers in the future.

For what it's worth I think it's exceptional value because I can't think of a weekend I look forward to more. What price do you put on that?

A few comments

- It is expensive, but if the festival only ran at evens last year it is hardly surprising. One answer would be to cut a couple of the smaller stages, but how much difference that would make I really don't know.

- If you break down the 175 for the amount that you get, it becomes less expensive. I will definitely be seeing Springsteen, and probably Blur as well - that must be almost 100 at least. Add to the fact I will see at least another 20 bands over the three days, and the fact that you cannot put a price on "discovering" 2 or 3 new bands (which I almost certainly will do), and it becomes a much fairer price.

- The easiest way to sort this out would be to carry on with the deposit system next year, and then knock paying the full amount back to late Feb/early March. That way, they should be able to release 50% of the line up before then - if the line up really does look that bad to some people, they then have the informed option. That leaves the rest of March, April, and the first couple of weeks of June to shift any leftover tickets, which should still be plenty of time.

At £175 it is becoming a fair chunk of money, but still good value if you add up what you get for it and compare to the costs of one-off gigs etc, or other lesser festivals.

As mentioned above the costs of Glasto have gone up far more than the normal inflation of your shopping basket so understandable that the price will too. I don't think it is yet at a level where it will struggle to sell out on cost grounds.

What I think and hope might be the case this year is that the exorbitant food and drink prices might at least be frozen if not reduced. Many will be arriving with a bit less cash than previous years, and the traders should realise that. I suspect a lot more people will be bringing their own food and drink too.

i think the extent of the crunch has really hit some people, certainly me.

i lost my job before christmas, am now struggling to find work, and not really sure i'll be able to find the money by the end of january. it's pretty depressing, as for some years now glasto has been the highlight of my year. i think if the economic situation hadn't got as bad as it has, then i would have moaned about the 20 quid increase, but been ok to pay it. as it is, i'm not sure if i can do it now. i may have to give up the 10 quid now, and hope that by april i have some money.

the price has also completely ruled out mates coming who were tempted after last year, which is a real shame for me.

At £175 it is becoming a fair chunk of money, but still good value if you add up what you get for it and compare to the costs of one-off gigs etc, or other lesser festivals.

As mentioned above the costs of Glasto have gone up far more than the normal inflation of your shopping basket so understandable that the price will too. I don't think it is yet at a level where it will struggle to sell out on cost grounds.

What I think and hope might be the case this year is that the exorbitant food and drink prices might at least be frozen if not reduced. Many will be arriving with a bit less cash than previous years, and the traders should realise that. I suspect a lot more people will be bringing their own food and drink too.

I think that's a very good point about the food and drink, I would imagine more people bringing more booze in this year and less drinking in beer tents/on-site bars. The ticket price is what it is, but spending money for when you're in there can be reduced quite a lot.
Edited by Al the CAT

Reading through this (very good) thread, that was what I was thinking - the value for money of the ticket is not in question, but how much will people realistically be spending on site this year?

Do you really need the inflatable armchair / she-pees / designer wellies? Can you wait 10 minutes to get back to the tent and boil the kettle for a brew or get one while you're passing the snack-shack? Is getting a Pieminister pie better value than the noodles / Yorkshire Pudding / hog roast stall over there?

I think by the time June rolls around there'll be a lot more savvy shopping (but not Zavvi shopping) as we all nip the purse strings in. Everyone will be different, but compared to a weeks break anywhere else in the UK, Europe or elsewhere it's still excellent, and as always it is what you make it.

Al.