Glastinflation

Guest TomfromStroud

I was out with friends the other night, and when conversation turned to the 1st February payment deadline I was surprised to hear that everyone else was considering not paying the full balance for their tickets when the time comes and taking the hit for the £10, despite the cracking line up.

The most common gripe was the price, and the above inflation price rises which the festival has continued every year, so I thought I would conduct a short study into how prices have risen in the ten years I have been going.

1999 - £83

+£6 (7.2% - Actual rate of inflation 1.5%) - notional inflationary 2000 price £84.25

2000 - £89

+£8 (£4 a year - 4.4% - Actual rate of inflation 2.25%) - notional inflationary 2002 price £88.09p

2002 - £97

+£8 (8.2% - Actual rate of inflation 1.8%) - notional inflationary 2003 price £89.67

2003 - £105

+£7 (6.6% - Actual rate of inflation 2.9%) - notional inflationary 2004 price £92.27

2004 - £112

+£13 (11.6% - Actual rate of inflation 3.0%) -notional inflationary 2005 price £95.04

2005 - £125

+£20 (£10 a year 8% - Actual rate of inflation - 3.0%) - notional inflationary 2007 price £100.83p

2007 - £145

+£10 (6.9% - Actual rate of inflation - 4.3%) - notional inflationary 2008 price £105.16p

2008 - £155

+£20 (13% - Actual rate of inflation - estimated 4.1%) - notional inflationary 2009 price £109.48

2009 - £175

I know this is going to be controversial, and I am the first to admit that the Government's measure of inflation isn't exactly the best, but I just wonder how high (relatively) the price can go before it becomes prohibitive. I also buy into the whole "it's five days so when you even it out and include all the bands it doesn't seem so bad idea".

I'm still planning to go and am frantically trying to woo those who aren't sure with phrases like "best festival in the world" or "weekend in the countryside" or, more worryingly, "britpop revival" but I thought it was worthy of debate. I also know the festival has expanded in terms of attractions but it has also expanded in terms of numbers.

I am also aware that Glastonbury struggled to cover it's costs last year, not least due to the oil price driving up fuel costs, but it does strike me that you can't keep putting ticket prices up beyond inflation indefinitely. Simple economics means that you have to stop somewhere.

Edited by TomfromStroud

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its got to the point now where I would rather pay £150 for the ticket then have to pay £25 for all the stuff you get on the gate (reading style).

I assume they keep the price as low as they can, but £175 is expensive for a music festival, no matter how you look at it.

Especially now half my friends are running off to eastern europe purely because of the price.

Edited by LostRiot

I have to say, I generally agree with this. £175 feels like an awful lot to pay this year, especially once you add on the associated booking costs too (are See Tickets taking two booking fees of those of us who chose to reserve, then pay in full later? If so, that is mega cheeky).

Having said that, the inflation at Glastonbury doesn't worry me quite as much as at other festivals because a. there's so much more going on there and b. the profits go to charity, rather than into some big company's pockets.

There's definitely a limit though, and people who haven't been through the wonderful experience of Glasto will see the price as a real barrier.

One thing I don't understand is the lack of a presale immediately after the festival. I always buy my Reading Festy ticket that way. Essentially they sell a limited number of tickets for next year's festival at this year's price. I like paying so early because I don't have to worry about finding the cash later on, and it feels like you save a few quid too.

I really think Glastonbury should do this. It'd help them sell out by capitalising on the buzz created by the TV coverage and the feel good factor everyone has coming home from the fest (assuming it's not been an '07-style mudbath), and it might make us feel a bit less ripped off. It also gives them a few quid in the bank early on.

Edited by johnmcga

One thing I don't understand is the lack of a presale immediately after the festival. I always buy my Reading Festy ticket that way. Essentially they sell a limited number of tickets for next year's festival at this year's price. I like paying so early because I don't have to worry about finding the cash later on, and it feels like you save a few quid too.

I really think Glastonbury should do this. It'd help them sell out by capitalising on the buzz created by the TV coverage and the feel good factor everyone has coming home from the fest (assuming it's not been an '07-style mudbath), and it might make us feel a bit less ripped off. It also gives them a few quid in the bank early on.

However there is a dynamic to this that is different to other Festivals. ME and GFL have always catered for families and individuals who for financial reasons may need extra time to save up for tickets. Pre booking idea this year is about as close to after event Pre sales as we are going to get.

If the price was held and the tickets went on sale, there would be cries of elitism and making the less wealthy pay more because they do not have the readies at that time.

At the moment with everybody paying the same, with the same chance of getting a ticket, then GFL and ME can always respond to any accusations of selling out.

Just my view.

It is getting a bit out of hand, but the festival is still good value for money at the moment.

If £20 is the average gig ticket for a reasonably successful band, and lets say each festivalgoer watches 10 bands of that size then that works out at £200.

If £10 a night is the price to put up a tent on a camp site then that is £50 if you stay for the whole thing.

If you paid for the guide (and all the other bits and bobs) and to do all the other things there (cinema, theatre, smaller bands, kids field, poetry readings, silent disco etc etc etc), that could well be worth at least £50 if not £100.

Not to mention the atmosphere and chance to meet new people and experience new things, which you can't really put a price on (but lets just say £50 to make the total a nice round figure)

So Glastonbury is potentially worth £400.

BUT

No one weekend is worth that much because anything could happen (you could get ill, widespread sound problems, tent washed away etc) and a low price is needed to be worth the risk.

If the price continues at the same rate is has for the last ten years then expect to be paying £200+ in 2012, £300+ in 2017 and £400+ in 2020. Hopefully the prices will never ever reach that high.

Considering demand is well down on what it was during 05-07, they would be extremely unwise to increase the price for many more years. Certainly, when the current lease runs out they should really consider downsizing the site and thus ticket numbers, so it can accommodate for a furture boom.

Expenditure, the fence probably being the most expensive part of the festival, is the key

Looking at it from a slightly different viewpoint you could fix the "correct" price at 2009 and say Glasto was an absolute bargain in the 1990s.

I still think £175 is excellent value for money and didn't have to think twice before reserving a ticket. It's difficult for me to say where I might draw the line next year - but I know if it's anything under £200 I'll be going.

I think next year we will see a review of the costs verses festival popularity.

If they have problems with ticket sales this year then they must look at there overall budget to keep costs down.

Festivals like every business must be looking at there cost base to try and reduce the overheads and on costs. If it means that we loose specific parts of Glastonbury to cost then they must reduce the ticket price accordingly or at least its inflationary rise. If this hits popularity then they are in trouble.

I would also say they are looking at the break in 2011 as a god send as at least they can ride out the storm and build back popularity for 2012. When I guess they will charge £200

isnt V worst @ £200+ this year?! aint it also smaller than glasto with less bands?!

anyhoos all festivals prices will increase and think the cost of glasto is a bargain considering the size of the site, along with the booklet things and whatever u get, as well as untold amount of bands, e.t.c...

what strikes me as ODD is how V presale sold out with the new £200 + cost...

average gig is £20-50 depending on venue and scale of the band... along with travel there n back aswell as fees e.t.c and food. so a £20 gig plus maybe £5 max travel and food and ur looking at £30-35.... so £30 x 6 is £180...

a 5 day camping festival with untold bands playing, aswell as other things like comedy e.t.c and ur quids in!!!!! on the grand scale of things u get an AWFUL lot for your money especially considering it's like £40 just to see KOL or the Killers at the 02 for an hour or so.

think about it...