Veterans - best place to camp?

Guest Glazieyes

There's a big crowd of us heading over, 25 in fact all glasto (Not Festy) Virgins.....

Looking for a concensus here, where is the best place to camp???

We were gonna stay in the tipi's but have been well priced out of it at £750 per tipi, unfurnished!!

So what we are going to do is take an advance party over on the Wednesday to put up our tents, hope to be there around midday (Flights arriving into Bristol around 10am all being well).

Where do you reccommend?

Some where near the action, on a hill (don't wanna get flooded - IT WONT, I KNOW THE SUN IS GOING TO SPLIT THE TREES ALL WEEK/END)

Whats your views? Any and all are welcomed!

I read elsewhere that you were hiring a van? Are you picking it up at the airport? I would say if you arrive at ten, then have to pick up a van I would think you would be lucky to have parked up by 1pm, allowing for traffic once you get near to the site. Then you have the walk to get to your pitch to follow!

How many tents are you sharing between 25? A lot of the camping areas fill up pretty quickly so if you want to put many tents together you may have to settle for one of the more outlying camping fields. I know that where I camp (Kidney Mead near to the Jamaican tent) has always filled up pretty quickly and even by lunchtime it can be difficult to get space for more than three 3 man tents together.

Good luck! :lol:

PS I don't think I'm a veteran though, this year is only number 5 for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I read elsewhere that you were hiring a van? Are you picking it up at the airport? I would say if you arrive at ten, then have to pick up a van I would think you would be lucky to have parked up by 1pm, allowing for traffic once you get near to the site. Then you have the walk to get to your pitch to follow!

How many tents are you sharing between 25? A lot of the camping areas fill up pretty quickly so if you want to put many tents together you may have to settle for one of the more outlying camping fields. I know that where I camp (Kidney Mead near to the Jamaican tent) has always filled up pretty quickly and even by lunchtime it can be difficult to get space for more than three 3 man tents together.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

PS I don't think I'm a veteran though, this year is only number 5 for me. :rolleyes::lol:

well iv been going for _____ years (cant remember, look at my sig) and i think the best place to camp is just above the pyramid. there you are near all the action, loos, food, and you wont get flooded.

the only thing is that there is a long way to walk to the stone circle if ur not used to it, but im lazy and i could manage it. if u stay at the circle all day too then its definately worth it.

also, u can hear the pyramid from ur tent if u camp in the right place, an if u camp near the edge you can have ur camp fire facing it, and can have a beer sitting in ur chairs watching the bands =)

camp near where u think you'll spend the most time/where you'll be last at night.

in 07 by looking at the lineup i knew i was going to be at the pyramid a lot so we camped nearish the pyramid.

in 08 we camped up the road from the other stage. this for us was a really good location, cus its down the road from the park area and flags. up the way from the other stage and dance village and not too far from jazz.

the only bugger was it was pretty far away from shangri la and trash city... but then you dont really mind walking back to your tent after you've had an absolute blinder of night!

I really wouldn't worry about it, nowhere floods anymore, don't camp near the edge of an area (near a walkway) while easy to find, the tents here always get covered in mud/trampled, so just pick an area/stage you want to be near, thats quite near a good landmark so you can find it (not so easy at night) and camp a good 10 meters at least from any walkways/main throughfairs and you will be laughing! arriving mid afternoon will probably count you out of the "best" areas, but as none of you have been to G before i really doubt you'll mind that, just bear in mind even if you pick up your gear from joe banana's you will have to carry it all a long way, and of course you will have all your drink to carry too, which always factors majorly in my picking of a camping spot, basicly i just lug it as far as i can be arsed, when effort exceeds determination, thats my spot!

Much appreciated, all of it, i'll be hanging around here getting all the info right up until d-day!

I'm the organiser by default, the majority of the lads goin are never near a computer, I on the other hand "work" in a very mundane office so need something to keep me sane, I usually do all the sortin out for the festys, it means things get done the way I want them done!!

And your right, they had all better get me SEVERAL beers (and whatever else) this has been more of a fcuk up than Rock am and benicassim put together and they were on the continent......... :D:D

Its this Eavis fella keeping too many secrets etc, :(

Again, muchos gracias for all the help!!

Edited by Glazieyes

Much appreciated, all of it, i'll be hanging around here getting all the info right up until d-day!

I'm the organiser by default, the majority of the lads goin are never near a computer, I on the other hand "work" in a very mundane office so need something to keep me sane, I usually do all the sortin out for the festys, it means things get done the way I want them done!!

And your right, they had all better get me SEVERAL beers (and whatever else) this has been more of a fcuk up than Rock am and benicassim put together and they were on the continent......... :D:)

Its this Eavis fella keeping too many secrets etc, :(

Again, muchos gracias for all the help!!

Never worry mate, we're a mixed bag, my ma's from gillingham in Kent ffs!

Not that it should matter anyway!

Although we've never told any Englishmen not to put their Union Jacks or St Georges crosses up at Oxegen/Witness or Electric Picnic, its not like that for the vast majority here these days! :(

I think any campsite is a good campsite when it comes to Glastonbury. However, unless you get there early you're looking at maybe a bit of a walk to somewhere spacious.

I would personally advise you to camp up by The Park Stage as it had so much space left and was on a hill. It has a glorious view of the whole festival.

well iv been going for _____ years (cant remember, look at my sig) and i think the best place to camp is just above the pyramid. there you are near all the action, loos, food, and you wont get flooded.

the only thing is that there is a long way to walk to the stone circle if ur not used to it, but im lazy and i could manage it. if u stay at the circle all day too then its definately worth it.

also, u can hear the pyramid from ur tent if u camp in the right place, an if u camp near the edge you can have ur camp fire facing it, and can have a beer sitting in ur chairs watching the bands =)