A few Questions from a Newbie

Guest Cherryb1510

Hi,

My friend and I are both going to be camping and Glastonbury newbie's this year.

I have a few questions if you can help us please?

As tent pegs are not allowed must you purchase a certain type of tent fixing when we arrive?

The lock ups; can you reserve online or is it a first come basis when we get there?

Are the car parks really that far from the camp sites?

We are not planning to get there until Friday Early morning, will we have problems getting a space for the tent?

Thanks.

Cherryb

Edited by Cherryb1510

Hi,

My friend and I are both going to be camping and Glastonbury newbie's this year.

As tent pegs are not allowed must you purchase a certain type of tent fixing when we arrive?

The lock ups; can you reserve online or is it a first come basis when we get there?

Thanks.

Cherryb

Hi

bring your own pegs as the ones last year were as good as a chocolate t-pot !! (but make sure you take them home with you ) they dont agree with the cows bellys !!

The lockups were fairly quiet last year with very small ques (in our field anyway)

Depending on what direction you come from and what carpark they decide your going in, yeah the walk can be pretty far , it can take well over an hour of trecking !

ALL GOOD FUN THOUGH :huh:

Cherryb

tent pegs depend on the weather if its sunny then the ground will be hard so you will need metal ones

lock ups are first come first served

as you arivving late gates open on wednesday then you will have a fair hike to the site but once you are there you do not have to leave best pack light you can buy almost everything on site anyway or get yourself a decent trolley

i assume you are not working friday so why not get down there as soon as possible on thursday evening as you will be struggling to get a decent pitch on friday morning..best get yourself a small tent you won,t be using it much anyway

now as a double figure glasto veteran the one thing i,m anal about when giving advice to newbies is get yourself some decent footwear

i,ve been there at both extremes of the weather baking hot all weekend and well err the mud baths

in the hot the ground is hard and as they are in cow fields uneven in a lot of places so i,ve always had good ankle support hiking boots and when its damp :huh: good fitting wellies

the place is huge

you will want to see most if not all of it at least once and its surprising how much walking you do and its in a valley so theres hills and slopes to consider

any more questions feel free to ask

Edited by Binky

Cherryb

tent pegs depend on the weather if its sunny then the ground will be hard so you will need metal ones

lock ups are first come first served

as you arivving late gates open on wednesday then you will have a fair hike to the site but once you are there you do not have to leave best pack light you can buy almost everything on site anyway or get yourself a decent trolley

i assume you are not working friday so why not get down there as soon as possible on thursday evening as you will be struggling to get a decent pitch on friday morning..best get yourself a small tent you won,t be using it much anyway

now as a double figure glasto veteran the one thing i,m anal about when giving advice to newbies is get yourself some decent footwear

i,ve been there at both extremes of the weather baking hot all weekend and well err the mud baths

in the hot the ground is hard and as they are in cow fields uneven in a lot of places so i,ve always had good ankle support hiking boots and when its damp :huh: good fitting wellies

the place is huge

you will want to see most if not all of it at least once and its surprising how much walking you do and its in a valley so theres hills and slopes to consider

any more questions feel free to ask

Hi,

Nope you can use metal ones, just make sure you take them all away with you, remember the cows that normally live there!

The lock ups are big white tents with a metal cage inside. They are open 24hrs a day and you can put anything in there free of charge (although a small donation wouldn't go amiss!). They are manned by volunteers. No need to book anything, just turn up!

Depends on which campsite and from what direction you are coming from.

We are not planning to get there until Friday Early morning, will we have problems getting a space for the tent?

Just ask the campsite stewards, they are absolutely everywhere! They can point you in the right direction.

Thanks.

Cherryb

I thought the potato pegs weren't that bad, mine stayed in the ground ok, although one did snap. But they stayed in all weekend and did the job! I suppose if it is really dry you could pour some water down on the ground to help them stay in.

When it's too hard it always slips in easier if you get it wet first I find...

I trsut you have a trolley as well then ?? It can be a fair walk with a lot of gear, but its okay if you have a trolley. Think particularly about the way home. The hill of death seems even worse at the end of the festival, and if you have to lumber up it with the kitchen sink its tens times worse !
Edited by Cherryb1510

if you mean like catapiller boots then they will be fine

tbh a few people walk around in sandals and its all down to personnal preferance but i,ve always gone for the solid footwear approach myself much easier when hammered and in the crowds when moving between stages

only once bothered with a stove and hardly used it food is plentifull and mostly good value if you look around mostly away from the main areas and as you cam take your own choice of alcoholic beverages (no glass bottles mind) that side is cheap but you have to sample the pear cider tis a must

Re the lock ups, they are free and don't generally fill up. I presume your thinking of the lockers at other festivals where you have to pay, because at Glasto they are nothing like that. They are a huge secure tent manned by volunteers where you leave your stuff and get at ticket, a bit like a cloackroom at a club.

tent space - you WILL be able to find tent space, but you will have to walk for it. which you probably wont want to do.

car park - no, not really, they are quite close, you could walk it in 5-10 mins all the way to ur tent spot if there was no one around. the thing that gets people is they are not used to carrying so much stuff, and it exaughsts you twice as fast. there is also waiting and standing aorund in the queues, which makes ur feet hurt A LOT. even though you might think about taking something to wheel it on, avoid that at all cost. its better taking less stuff. even wheelbarrows get stuck in the mud if it rains.

yes that was what i meant :(

I love cider so shouldn't be a problem in trying the local special. I am trying to tuck some cash away for the weekend. How much is a pint roughly?

Apologies if this has been asked millions of times before....

What's the traffic like on the Wednesday?

Roughly how many people will be on-site by Wednesday evening?

Is it worth going on the Wednesday - is there much going on? (I suspect that's an obvious yes)

The Glasto vibe is great, people dont tend to steal stuff like at Reading...

My general rule is, if you bring something to the festival you have to be prepared to lose it (i dropped my mobile in a cow pat a while back) Just leave valuable stuff at home and keep money on your person even when you sleep.

Dont worry about theft tho, its pretty safe.

traffic will be fine to a point - then it'll back-up a bit. It's just one of those things at festivals... not that it matters really, the excitement takes over!

The place fills up steadily and quickly.

Last year I went Wed morning. I liked getting there early - gives you time to get your sense of direction and become familiar with the place. Always something going on at Glastonbury ;):(:)

• 2 weeks later...