Latitude 2009

The Beard

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday was up there with the most amazing festival days ive ever witnessed.

thom yorke as hes been my idol I nearly fainted him doing an acoustic set and he was utterly marvelous. Nick cave and the bad seeds were as I thought, fantastic put in another great set. editors had another strong intense emotional set aswel.

leeds festival has got alot to live up to.

Did anyone see the group of people dressed up as big neon puppet-like things on Saturday night (including Terence & Phillip from South Park)?

We saw them coming over the bridge and two event cover staff came running up to see what all the fuss was about and I overheard one of them saying into his radio...

'There's a commotion on the bridge, it appears some people have lit themselves up'

Among other highlights, what springs immediately to mind are...

Thom Yorke's set

Thursday night in the music and film tent seeing Patti Plinko, Smoke Fairies and Camille O'Sullivan

Adam Buxton's Bug (with mild Stevenage)

Big gay pink poodle racing in the comedy tent

Altogether very enjoyable again and forgoing breakfast on site and buggering off early meant we were back in the North East before 3pm!

really liked the sunrise stage. nice and cosy tent in the woods. very nice when the sun peeked through the gap and shone on the stage. Having Little Boots there was a bit mental though.

edit:

other highlights

Fever Ray.

Editors singer looking a bit spangled.

Lisa Hannigan in the rain.

The lead singer of the Chakras being pissed as a fart at 2pm when they opened up the obelisk stage.

Patrick Wolf, doves, Shlomo in the woods, Kasms,

Marina and the Diamonds covering space and the woods. I hope my tongue wasn't hanging out watching her...

All the nice friendly peeps there!

Edited by krisskross

I'm intrigued. What was this about?

They set up a fake VIP party on Saturday night in the Cabaret tent. It was advertised in the programme as being closed to punters. In reality, there were no VIPs present, and the only guests were punters who'd been given a 'special' VIP wrist-band. If you stood around outside the Cabaret tent, eventually you'd be given one of these 'because we have a few spaces left over.' Once inside, there was a good party atmosphere, but some of the punters got carried away with the whole concept of being a bit special, and decided they'd go all bling and splash out on 'champagne' at £9 a glass!

Worse was to come - you might be approached by someone to give you a special pass to various 'very VIP' areas within the party. These were a series of increasingly ludicrous parties-within-a-party, until finally, if you were admitted to the inner sanctum of celebrity heaven, the bouncer would examine your 'VVVVIP' pass and allow you access through the final door - which you soon discovered was just a back-door out of the tent.

As it happens, it was a pretty good night, and most people that went are probably still convinced that their festival was special because of their brush with the stars.

They set up a fake VIP party on Saturday night in the Cabaret tent. It was advertised in the programme as being closed to punters. In reality, there were no VIPs present, and the only guests were punters who'd been given a 'special' VIP wrist-band. If you stood around outside the Cabaret tent, eventually you'd be given one of these 'because we have a few spaces left over.' Once inside, there was a good party atmosphere, but some of the punters got carried away with the whole concept of being a bit special, and decided they'd go all bling and splash out on 'champagne' at £9 a glass!

Worse was to come - you might be approached by someone to give you a special pass to various 'very VIP' areas within the party. These were a series of increasingly ludicrous parties-within-a-party, until finally, if you were admitted to the inner sanctum of celebrity heaven, the bouncer would examine your 'VVVVIP' pass and allow you access through the final door - which you soon discovered was just a back-door out of the tent.

As it happens, it was a pretty good night, and most people that went are probably still convinced that their festival was special because of their brush with the stars.

ha, that sounds fantastic. hopefully most people realised it was an art installation as a reaction to bullshit celebrity culture, that's what it sounds like anyway

Sounds a bit like the episode of Frasier when they go to the oh-so-exclusive spa retreat and go through progressively more "exclusive" rooms until they go through a door into the trash area at the back.

As a first timer I enjoyed many aspects of the festival - the rockaoke in the Gaymers tent, the coloured sheep, the Sunrise arena and the lovely composting toilets, not to mention some great bands and comedy. And full marks to the very nice guy who ensured our lost phone got back to us - top man.

However, I was less impressed with the over-zealous security. Nowehere else have I had my wristband tugged EVERY TIME I went into the main stage area, and the queue to get in on Sunday morning was insane. I know many festivals check you for booze etc but to not even allow water in - a festival professing to be eco-friendly that makes you pour water away is nothing of the sort.

And thanks to the larks who stole our flagpole with the giraffe flag on it. The phone incident briefly restored my faith in human nature, how soon it goes again.

However, I was less impressed with the over-zealous security. Nowehere else have I had my wristband tugged EVERY TIME I went into the main stage area, and the queue to get in on Sunday morning was insane.

they do need to sort when they do their 'health ad safty' checks. The opening times to the arena was put back every day because of them. (for 2 hours on the thurs)

Also, not letting in some of the performers until the gates to the arena (as they only had 'guest' wristbands) made it a little hard for them to prepare for their set. (performance of 'taming of the shrew' in the woods.)

+ how f**king amazing is the drainage on the site! how much rain and basically no mud at all! couldn't believe it.

Edited by krisskross

Didn't think much of Thom Yorke to be honest, Nick cave beat the hell out of him that night. Pet Shop Boys were very good, a lot of effort put in that show but for me the three highlights of the weekend were the heckle of "it's only poisonous in it's ionized state" during the Stephen K Amos set. The tall guy dancing like a loon to Saint Etienne and Spiritualized were incredible on Saturday night.

Nick Cave was a massive highlight for me, just a pity the set seemed a bit curtailed (no encores, was there a curfew?).

Other highlights for me were Broken Records, Rumble Strips, Doves (as the sun went down on Saturday - a real festival moment), Tricky and Saint Etienne back to back in the Uncut, Pulled Apart By Horses and Not Squares at the Lake Stage). Only major disappointments were missing Fight Like Apes and Passion Pit at the Sunrise......and Gaymers Cider :lol: yuk!

+ how f**king amazing is the drainage on the site! how much rain and basically no mud at all! couldn't believe it.

it was my 2nd visit this year and am even more impressed with that

its rained every day ive been there in some form or another but ive only ever seen a little mud on some of the more well troden walkways

if only all festivals could be like that!!

Well overall another enjoyable Latitude.A few gripes with this festival as usual especially the 2 hour queue to get in on thursday afternoon which was f**king ridiculous! The usual over zealous stewards refusing even bottles of water to go through to the main area and the most ridiculous rule of all of not allowing drinks bought in the bar on the campsite to go through to the main area even though the bar in the campsite and the bars in the main arena are run by the same people!!??

Anyway onto the goodstuff:-

1.Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- unbelievable set from Nick and the boys(have the Bad Seeds ever sounded so good?!).

2.Thom Yorke-such a great set and thought that wouldn't be beaten until Mr.Cave later that day.

3.Spiritualised-glad they played in the uncut tent rather than the main stage as it sounded more intense in there,excellent set.

4.Bat for Lashes-best i've seen them

5.The Mummers-Lovely!

6.The Doves-perfect slot for them on the Saturday

7.Smoke Fairies-great stuff in the Film and Music tent on Thursday night with Smoke Fairies being the highlight for me but there was an excellent act on before them but didn't get their name(anybody help?)

8.Tricky- great set apart from dragging out the last song although great bit of crowd surfing!

9.Broken Records

10.Of Montreal

Bubbling under:-

Broken Family Band,The hula hoop girl in the Cabaret tent,I Like Trains,Mik Artistik(several times-funniest thing i saw all weekend),and just generally the weird and wonderful random things in the cabaret and theatre tents.

Oh and also the weather was so much better than forecast.Thursday night looked very ominous for the rest of the weekend but worked out ok.

All in all top weekend.

Well overall another enjoyable Latitude.A few gripes with this festival as usual especially the 2 hour queue to get in on thursday afternoon which was f**king ridiculous! The usual over zealous stewards refusing even bottles of water to go through to the main area and the most ridiculous rule of all of not allowing drinks bought in the bar on the campsite to go through to the main area even though the bar in the campsite and the bars in the main arena are run by the same people!!??

Anyway onto the goodstuff:-

1.Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- unbelievable set from Nick and the boys(have the Bad Seeds ever sounded so good?!).

2.Thom Yorke-such a great set and thought that wouldn't be beaten until Mr.Cave later that day.

3.Spiritualised-glad they played in the uncut tent rather than the main stage as it sounded more intense in there,excellent set.

4.Bat for Lashes-best i've seen them

5.The Mummers-Lovely!

6.The Doves-perfect slot for them on the Saturday

7.Smoke Fairies-great stuff in the Film and Music tent on Thursday night with Smoke Fairies being the highlight for me but there was an excellent act on before them but didn't get their name(anybody help?)

8.Tricky- great set apart from dragging out the last song although great bit of crowd surfing!

9.Broken Records

10.Of Montreal

Bubbling under:-

Broken Family Band,The hula hoop girl in the Cabaret tent,I Like Trains,Mik Artistik(several times-funniest thing i saw all weekend),and just generally the weird and wonderful random things in the cabaret and theatre tents.

Oh and also the weather was so much better than forecast.Thursday night looked very ominous for the rest of the weekend but worked out ok.

All in all top weekend.

If it's who I'm thinking of it was Patti Plinko and her boy - spent a lot of the time sitting and playing the ukelele...

Highlights......

The Broken Family Band

The Airborne Toxic Event

Sky Larkin

Mark Thomas

No doubt many others I've forgotten. Thom was good too :lol:

The pear cider was good :D - and *loved* the Loch Fyne place - never had oysters and mussels at a fezzie before!! Also the fab sheep :D

Lowlights......

The queue to get in - altho' to be fair, we queued a longer time for Glastonbury - just at G we were queuing in cars, here it was on foot!! Luckily the weather held for the queue, and we had some fun queue mates :D

The excessive security as previously mentioned. The wristband tugging *every* time you went in. The bag searches - which meant it took us 15mins to get into the arena on the Sun morning.

The giraffe flag stealers :)B)

On balance - definitely enjoyed it, will definitely go again...... but probably not an every year festival.

What a cool festival! I'll definately be going back in future. No gripes at all, even loved the rain!!!

It's the perfect size festival with so much space in the camping areas.

Highlights:

'The Invisible' in that cool stage in the forest.

'Thom yorke' I feel privileged to have been there.

'Doves' & 'White Lies'

'SHEEP Guy/band' That guy cracked me up singing sheep sheep sheep for hours on end by the lake.

oh that sounds like a well funny stunt, just goes to show just how easily led people can be convinced that they getting some thing others aint, thought that eveybody knew that the best parties at festivals are never in v.i.p or hospitality tents . you MUGGS HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! :lol::P

ha, that sounds fantastic. hopefully most people realised it was an art installation as a reaction to bullshit celebrity culture, that's what it sounds like anyway

it was totally brilliant. really clever and well done. a bit chaotic. maybe there should have been a way as people left for them to get the info that the whole thing was a joke. but close to genius I say. all power to latitude for organising it. whose idea was it?