Latitude 2009

The Beard

Portishead

Morrissey

Portishead would be a terrific booking. I stupidly missed out on getting tickets for their gigs last year and that would more than make up for it. The latest album is sublime imo.

Morrissey I could take or leave these days. He's never been a crowd pleaser when it comes to song selection and I really don't think he's suited to playing festivals.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a strong feeling about morissey and doves.

keane was a good suggestion too.

cure and arcade fire would be amazing but i don't think either will be there, personally: the former are too big, the latter headlined too recently, and are out of festival action for now...

oh, and the flaming lips...now we can hope... :)

one other dream...biffy clyro for headliners...?! :)

Edited by radio

bloc party being at v wouldnt rule them out of latitude. damien rice headlined latitude the same year as he headlined the jjb at v.

pj harvey is playing camp bestival as a uk exclusive festival solo date, however she is doing more dates with some bloke whose name i forget promoting the album theyve released together so could be there doing that.

i dont think snow patrol or mercury rev will be there as they wont repeat headliners so quickly into a new festival there's absolutely no need to.

So come on then I need some information - I need to get excited about Latitude now that I'm coming to Latitude instead of Glastonbury this year - Some sample questions :

- Can you take drink to all areas like Glastonbury or are your restricted like at all other festivals ?

- Is there music Fri / Sat / Sun - if so what times and how many stages

- Good food ?

- any side entertainment ?

- anything like greenfields there ?

- anybody got a map of the site ?

- where do people tend to congregate / sit and have a muse ?

- what time does the entertainment go onto into the night / morning ?

Any information gratefuly received :lol:

Edited by ohmygod

So come on then I need some information - I need to get excited about Latitude now that I'm coming to Latitude instead of Glastonbury this year - Some sample questions :

- Can you take drink to all areas like Glastonbury or are your restricted like at all other festivals ?

- Is there music Fri / Sat / Sun - if so what times and how many stages

- Good food ?

- any side entertainment ?

- anything like greenfields there ?

- anybody got a map of the site ?

- where do people tend to congregate / sit and have a muse ?

- what time does the entertainment go onto into the night / morning ?

Any information gratefuly received :lol:

- You cant take booze into the arena area, but we still managed to smuggle a little bottle of tequila in. But to be honest the bars were never that busy and not overly expensive (3.20/3.50 a pint)

- Yep, and there is some small stuff on the thursday evening as well. 4/5 music stages with the music starting midday ish each day. the radio 4 tent had some good comedy stuff earlier than that. all the literature/comedy stuff started the same time

- excellent, my favourite of all the festys i went to last year

- not really

- the garden benchs by on of the bars just by the lake stage always seemed a pleasent area last year

- 3 in the morning, the comedy stage became 'the guilty pleasures' tent last year from 10ish, and a couple of stages (the lake stage/in the woods) had some cracking djs

theres a map here http://2008.latitudefestival.co.uk/info/index.aspx

it will be interesting to see what happens about the taking drink into the arena rule this year because the rule had always been in place at latitude that you wern't allowed to, however on the sunday last year they cancelled this rule and told everyone you could bring in what you like. not sure if it was just for that last day only or if they are thinking of changing the rule for the whole duration of the festival-i hope so, it will save on the smuggling!

it will be interesting to see what happens about the taking drink into the arena rule this year because the rule had always been in place at latitude that you wern't allowed to, however on the sunday last year they cancelled this rule and told everyone you could bring in what you like. not sure if it was just for that last day only or if they are thinking of changing the rule for the whole duration of the festival-i hope so, it will save on the smuggling!

oh yeah, i remember that, i headed back to the tent for a few strongbows.

i cant see it being relaxed that much, its a festival republi fest, and much as latitude is a laid back vibe, festival republic are all about the bottom line.

- You cant take booze into the arena area, but we still managed to smuggle a little bottle of tequila in. But to be honest the bars were never that busy and not overly expensive (3.20/3.50 a pint)

- Yep, and there is some small stuff on the thursday evening as well. 4/5 music stages with the music starting midday ish each day. the radio 4 tent had some good comedy stuff earlier than that. all the literature/comedy stuff started the same time

- excellent, my favourite of all the festys i went to last year

- not really

- the garden benchs by on of the bars just by the lake stage always seemed a pleasent area last year

- 3 in the morning, the comedy stage became 'the guilty pleasures' tent last year from 10ish, and a couple of stages (the lake stage/in the woods) had some cracking djs

theres a map here http://2008.latitudefestival.co.uk/info/index.aspx

Cheers Buddy for that info - starting to get my juices running now :rolleyes:

Wow! Did that really happen? We were in the family area so checks weren't too rigid, but the queues from main campsite were mental when we went to look at shopping village on the Saturday!

Maybe the bars were gonna run out of booze and they wanted to avoid a riot.

I wrote to Melvin Benn about the rubbish "no alcohol in arena rule" partly because I always feel ripped off after spending so much money on tickets and overpriced food and also as people were having to queue for ages just to have bags searched.

He told me it was a licencing requirement to prevent underage drinking. That sounds like bull shit to me as many other festivals still manage to get licences even thought they have a free policy on bringing your own stuff in.

I really can't see them changing their policy, especially as they have been sponsored by Tuborg for the past two years.

I wrote to Melvin Benn about the rubbish "no alcohol in arena rule" partly because I always feel ripped off after spending so much money on tickets and overpriced food and also as people were having to queue for ages just to have bags searched.

He told me it was a licencing requirement to prevent underage drinking. That sounds like bull shit to me as many other festivals still manage to get licences even thought they have a free policy on bringing your own stuff in.

While Melvin might be stretching it a bit in saying "it's a licence requirement", it's certainly the case that certain police forces pressure festivals to have a "no alcohol in the arena" rule, and threaten them with losing their alcohol licence if they don't have that policy and under-age people are caught drinking in the arena.

So, like I say, Melvin might be stretching the truth a little, but I strongly suspect that what he's saying is essentially correct - that they need to have this rule to ensure that they have an alcohol licence into the future, if not absolutely required for the licence to be granted in the first place.

It's one of those stupid "we did all we could do" scenarios that modern life insists on ..... stupid because if kids are going to get alcohol and get drunk they will do, with or without any such no-alcohol rule. :rolleyes:

I reckon Bloc Party on the friday night, and Sonic Youth for the Sunday night.

I wish Radiohead would play xD

Unlikely tbh..

the saturday i have no idea about.

Anyone have a clue?? =D

radiohead wont play it, their too big and the travels not green enough for them.

get yourself to reading for the sunday, thats where i'll be catching them this year

the kooks are a different kettle of fish to those sort of bands. damien rice and snow patrol are middle of the road and dull but id imagine appeal to a lot of the "family" types you get at latitude, and franz ferdinand may be a quite trendy nme band but they have got talent and some good songs. the kooks dont have the middle of the road family appeal of damien or snow patrol, and dont have the talent or songs of franz.

for the mainstream friday headliner bloc party seems nailed on i reckon.

My thoughts are that the quality of headliners has increased exponentialy each year! So I have high hopes for 2009...

The boozing policy is pretty laxs, happily, with my then 17 year old friend carrying a half litre of vodka into the arena (it was in a plastic bottle mind, and late) on the Saturday night, despite it being discovered under his shirt by the stewards. They were a lovely bunch, really. As was everyone there, come to think of it.

D'ya think it'll get bigger this year? It has every other. I don't think Bloc Party will headline, I can feel it in my bones.

radiohead wont play it, their too big and the travels not green enough for them.

get yourself to reading for the sunday, thats where i'll be catching them this year

I was thinking of going to reading because of the Radiohead 'serious rumour', but I don't want to go to Reading this year, I'd much rather spend my money on Latitude festival, where the crowd arn't going to be all "NME" (fake) ... I know what I mean. :lol: