Pleasantly Surprised By...

Guest Sipperana

Who have you seen at Glastonbury, that you either hadn't intended to see, or hadn't wanted to see but actually found yourself enjoying?

For me it was David Gray in 2003. In order to get a good spot for REM (who were stellar that night btw) our little group got ourselves stationed early enough that we would have to watch Gray. I'd not been much of a fan of his really, but I was mightily impressed by his live set. In particular I enjoyed the mental drummer who stood at his kit, side-on to the rest of the band, bashing away like Animal.

I have to admit I was never really a David Gray fan.

But back then , I remember being alone and decided to sit by the Cider Bus and just chill for a bit before I went to see Primal Scream on the Other Stage (one of my favourite Glasto highlights ).

Anyway sat by the Cider Bus I heard him playing Whiskey in the Jar, and I have to say I loved it , and his set despite not getting off my arse to see him on stage.

Whenever I think about hearing an act , (but not seeing ) but enjoying it still the same, I always think of then !

If he ever plays again I will try and make the effort and use my eyes next time !!!!

:lol:

Sorry , I forgot !

Quite a few years ago I got into the new bands tent far too early to see Hope of The States !

It was rammed in the tent , but I quite enjoyed a geeky American act called

The Killers !

I heard they are doing OK, unlike my beloved Hope of the States.

I will never forget em playing in the dark when the lights went out !!!!!

Sorry , I forgot !

Quite a few years ago I got into the new bands tent far too early to see Hope of The States !

It was rammed in the tent , but I quite enjoyed a geeky American act called

The Killers !

I heard they are doing OK, unlike my beloved Hope of the States.

I will never forget em playing in the dark when the lights went out !!!!!

Edited by Ed209

Ahh.... Hope of the States. What a band. What a shame they split.

As for me, walking around on the thursday night in 2003, some random nutter walks up to me and says "Whatever you do this weekend, go see the opening band on the pyramid in the morning." Having no idea who this band was, but always one for a tip, I did venture down to the pyramid on friday morning to see who these guys were, with a sprinkling of other punters, between us we witnessed the birth of The Darkness. The rest is history. While now in hindsight I wish this gig never took place, it has to be said they were brilliant for the occasion and left me with a massive grin.

I had never heard of The Darkness before , and tbh have never seen the first band on , on the Friday if I recall.

Anyway I had agreed to meet someone for the start, now growing up in the 80's and being into metal I noticed

all their amps laid out as if it was AC/DC or Motorhead. I thought they do not seem like a reggae band.

Anyway , they come on and within 30 secs I had f**d off thinking to myself they are complete w***rs , and when

everyone was going Darkness mad and paying stupid amounts for the gigs on e bay - I thought you fools. Watched

1 minute of them when they headlined Leeds, then I went to see Mark Lanegan I believe !!!!

I can only speak for festival acts in general as I've never been to Glasto, but the act that'd probably fit best into this catagory would be Kasabian at T in the Park 2004 - first band on the NME stage, right at the front centre and they were amazing.

Such a good live band for being pretty average on record.

I guess that Levellers would be another act that blew me away.

Glastonbury 2003 was my first festival and I hadn't really seen that many bands live before that, and the ones I had I knew their stuff reasonably well so it was my first real chance to see bands I knew little or nothing about, boy did it open my eyes! :lol::lol:

Polyphonic Spree - 2003: Didn't know anything about the band, but I was mesmerised by all these cheerful people on stage singing songs about the sun :lol:

David Gray - 2003: As mentioned above, we were there to get a good spot for REM (ex girlfriend is a massive REM fan so wanted right down the front). He was always someone who I knew his songs but wasn't fussed by. Turned out to be one of the highlights of the weekend, was one of those sets where you are glad you have someone special to share it with, made extra special by the amazing sunset that night. :)

The Flaming Lips - 2003: Crazy, a bit weird, magical. Nothing more to say! Apart from I'm gutted I've only seen them once since. Please let them play again in 2009.

Radiohead - 2003: The set that made me question myself as to why I was never a Radiohead fan before that! I didn't mind them but certainly was not fussed by them. How wrong was I!? An epic set that turned me into a big fan, cemented by that final "For a minute there I lost myself" at the end of Karma Police. It still gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

Moby - 2003: Went along thinking he's got some tunes I know, will be an entertaining end to the festival. Entertained? I was blown away! What a showman, he was all over that stage, singing, playing a variety of instruments and (don't know the proper term for it :() having a spin off against his DJ. Top notch. And the cheer that went up when he finished with Creep? :(

After that festival I really started to get into my music more and I am aware of most acts that I catch nowadays, but in my Glastonburys since (2004, 2007 and 2008) special mention must go to Gogol Bordello, Seasick Steve, Crowded House, Manu Chao and Jay Z for putting on fantastic performances that really exceeded my expectations.

And although I knew it would be good the singalong that was Hey Jude at Paul McCartney in 2004 had me pretty much in tears... An absolutely incredible thing to be part of :D

Fantastic thread, it's brought back some amazing memories for me. Thank you.

:):):)

I only wandered through the Pyramid field accidentally for the duration of "Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt and I have to say it was beautiful. A quite special atmosphere and a wonderfully moving performance.

I would still say I couldn't hang around for a whole set of his, but I'm really glad to have caught that bit.

Did somebody mention Hot Chip? My mate dragged me along to that show in the JP tent last year, and I was so bored me and a few others left about half way through.

I also really enjoyed Polyphonic Spree although I was expecting them to be an excellent live experience - though the music was never anythng to write home about.

I was also quite blown away by the Killers when they played the Pyramid stage in 2005, although to be fair that was from a base of very little knowledge about them and no expectations. I've seen them twice since and neither time could touch that first performance.

Black Mountain last year !

Waiting with a friend who had dragged me to Newton Faulkener.

This band were on before and total " Stoner Rock " , I loved em to bits and have to admit despite being an Indie / Dance lover, I cannnot

get enough of em , their album is top, total San Fransico , hippy rock !!!!!!

Got em on my i tunes now !!

:lol:

Never been to Glastonbury. But the Cribs at Leeds festival 2004 was my biggest surprise. My dad had seen them play at his mates wedding so told me to go along. That was the first of somewhere between 18 and 20 gigs :P Followed up by the Kaiser Chiefs playing to a crowd of about 100 aswell, who were also very good.

I went to see Pidgeon Detectives in the Queens Head this year, only really went cos my bro's a fan but they were brilliant, really suited the tent, not sure if the Other Stage gig was as good the next day.

Saw Seasick Steve for the first time last year, first on the Pyramid playing to a small number of people sloshing about in the mud, wasn't expecting much but he was great.

Edited by Mr.Tickle

I went to see Pidgeon Detectives in the Queens Head this year, only really went cos my bro's a fan but they were brilliant, really suited the tent, not sure if the Other Stage gig was as good the next day.

Saw Seasick Steve for the first time last year, first on the Pyramid playing to a small number of people sloshing about in the mud, wasn't expecting much but he was great.