Just read glasto is catering for the oldies to play it safe this year

Guest reas11

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I don't think that is snobbery, anyone who reads The Sun as their daily paper should be looked down upon. The Sun is a national f**king embarrasment, everything that is wrong with this country can be more or less summed up in that one paper......well split between the Sun and the Mail.
Edited by benisright

The sun has quite a nice sports section, entertaining news about celebrities and a simple overview of the news. Thats why people read it in its drones. Some people dont have time to read a broadsheet every day or dont find the detail in stories that interesting. But just because they read the sun, doesnt mean they take it all in and believe the whole thing.
Edited by reas11

Well I'm 18 so I guess I'm the age group that is in discussion here.

I've had a few songs of both NY and BS on my ipod for a while now and always liked them.

Recently I've started downloading and listening to them more in 'preparation' or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway...

Out of interest I decided to do a search on Facebook for people's favourite music to see how popular certain acts were with young people.

Band - Friends of mine who listed the band - People in my networks (my uni, old school etc) who listed the band

Neil Young - 3 - 138

Bruce Springsteen - 1 - 82

Blur - 3 - 312

Jay-Z - 3 - 116

Kings of Leon - 12 - over 500 (didn't say exactly how many)

The Verve - 1 - 167

Neil Young isn't too far off The Verve so might attract younger people but Bruce Springsteen has a low number of people so might not.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think its a question of the age of people that glastonbury are trying to appeal to or the age of the band its the simple fact that all bands mentioned hit their peak well over a decade ago they are all in decline whoever big a fan you are you must admit they are not as good as they once where their main appeal is nostalga even with last years headliner only KOL are at their peak

compare this with ten years ago when primal scream, blur and pulp played 2 of them at least in theitr peak years or damn close to them. it also must be remembered that bob dylan played that year who is widely regarded as the greatest singer songwriter and probably second / third most famous solo artist. considerably bigger and more of a crowd puller than young or springsteen. that really shows how the festival has changed in outlook.

We will not get band or singers as big as the stones / young / springsteen again if the positions headlining festivals are all taken by singers whos best day are well behind them. look at the amount of profile and extra record sales kol, verve and jayz (not to mention oasis) got. would sex on fire have been number one if they hadn't played glasto?

Glastonbury makes bands it ofen give them those legendary moments which raise them above their peers

Springsteen, young and blur don't need a boast maybe someone like the coral do

Don't get me wrong there is still a place at glastonbury for these bands but not occupying all of the headlining positions

give them what cohen and dylan had a extended evening set, but please save some space to give more recent bands the chance to join them

i don't think its a question of the age of people that glastonbury are trying to appeal to or the age of the band its the simple fact that all bands mentioned hit their peak well over a decade ago they are all in decline whoever big a fan you are you must admit they are not as good as they once where their main appeal is nostalga even with last years headliner only KOL are at their peak

compare this with ten years ago when primal scream, blur and pulp played 2 of them at least in theitr peak years or damn close to them. it also must be remembered that bob dylan played that year who is widely regarded as the greatest singer songwriter and probably second / third most famous solo artist. considerably bigger and more of a crowd puller than young or springsteen. that really shows how the festival has changed in outlook.

We will not get band or singers as big as the stones / young / springsteen again if the positions headlining festivals are all taken by singers whos best day are well behind them. look at the amount of profile and extra record sales kol, verve and jayz (not to mention oasis) got. would sex on fire have been number one if they hadn't played glasto?

Glastonbury makes bands it ofen give them those legendary moments which raise them above their peers

Springsteen, young and blur don't need a boast maybe someone like the coral do

Don't get me wrong there is still a place at glastonbury for these bands but not occupying all of the headlining positions

give them what cohen and dylan had a extended evening set, but please save some space to give more recent bands the chance to join them

its not just the fact that glasto had jay-z as a headline.

i think that any "oldie" who goes knows that there is such a variety of acts that if they dont wanna go and see jay-z they can go watch someone else. its not compulsory you know!

my mum has taken me since i was 3 (im 17) and she goes for the atmosphere, and the sense of community that is dead in our current times.

glastonbury had a few bad years running from 1999 - foot and mouth, 3 bad extremely wet years with severe flooding, etc etc... so glasto moral was at an all time low.

acts like bruce springstein (strong rumor) etc have always played at glasto. they are legends and people want to see them.

glastonbury has never been a festival for young people, it is aimed at all ages. 0-100.

Edited by GlastoMad

People moan that Eavis tried to make the festival more appealing to the younger crowd last year but looking at lineups in the 90s, 80s etc it seems that this has always been the case. Take 1995 for example, the lineup consisted mainly of the newest and biggest up and coming bands. Its selfish to expect the festival to cater for an older age range purely because "You were there first."

I suspect the Eavises just make a list of everybody who could possibly headline and are available and then choose the biggest acts as the headliners, everybody else they probably try to book in lower slots if the bands are willing to accept them.

This year will probably be seen as the 'oldies' year, but I doubt that's the idea. I'm sure the organisers just choose the best bands available, and if it turns out they are all old or all young then so be it.

Well, my first visit to Glasto was purely because The Who were headlining, but there were so many awesome bands on that it just became the highlight, as opposed to the only reason we were there. I bought my ticket before any acts were confirmed, but the rumours of the Boss being there are just another reason why I will always go, because Glasto gets the best. Can you imagine Bruce at Leeds?

Being a little bit older myself i still believe that eavis should book decent music, whatever the genre or the pull of the age group.

Every glastonbury I have been to has always (yes always) had a good mix of older and younger people and people vote with their feet if they dont want to see something on a particular stage.

I saw Jay Z last year and was relatively impressed but also was quite impressed by, again, the age range of people watching him.

A lot of talk of people expecting glasto aiming at a younger audience is mainly started by young people just wanting a certain type of music to be played.

The festival is billed as a 'performing arts' festival. Let it stay as such and not turn into an NME fuelled festival ala Reading. (which I also attend I must admit)

Im 17 and going up with a good 10 other lads my age.

We couldent be happier with who it looks like may be playing, after i found out about sprignsteen i downloaded a couple of his songs and it wasent long till i went out and baught his album. Admitadly im not the bigest fan of N.Young but it doesent mean i have to watch him, or i might just end up watching him and falling in love but aye. :P

Weve got plenty of Glastonburys to come so im sure we'll get round to seing everyone we want to see eventually. We just feel its the whole glastonbury expeirence ( not purly the music played ) which makes the festival what it is.

Bring on Glasto 09..... ;) Carnt wait!!

We couldent be happier with who it looks like may be playing, after i found out about sprignsteen i downloaded a couple of his songs and it wasent long till i went out and baught his album. Admitadly im not the bigest fan of N.Young but it doesent mean i have to watch him, or i might just end up watching him and falling in love but aye. :P

Weve got plenty of Glastonburys to come so im sure we'll get round to seing everyone we want to see eventually. We just feel its the whole glastonbury expeirence ( not purly the music played ) which makes the festival what it is.

18 year olds don't go to Glastonbury because it's the same time as A-levels. It's that simple...

I'll be 47 at Glastonbury, and if Neil Young is there, I'll be as happy as a dog with two dicks. I'd love to see the Boss, too. However, if it is neither of them, if the headliners are acts I don't want to see, I know I will still have a totally brilliant time. I could have a fantastic time without seeing any acts on the Pyramid or Other stages. I thought last years line up was fine, but a lot of my best memories are of seeing bands I'd never heard of, or who I saw by mistake having cocked-up my times or dallied too long near that pale blue doubledecker bus.

My big big hope is that Mik Artistik's Ego Trip are there again....

"...with my secret cloak of in-vis-i-bility...I can see you, but you can't see me..."

I was 19 when i did Glasto, had a sweet time.

And many people here seem to naively think there are no young people at Glasto, well when i was there i met loads and loads and loads, that's what makes it unique, the diverse demographic!

Although Eavis seems out of touch with many people, thinking Metal acts are un popular, infact for a festival priding itself on musical diversity it misses out hugely on some quality bands. Can you honnestly imagine some one even as "heavy" as Lost Prophets playing there? Me neither... Im not talkign about heavy metal ala Slipknot but diversity would be cool.

However for sure, there are alot of oldie bands there for the older peeps but I like some of them too so it's all good. in 2007 i was jumping out to Pendulum surrounded by OAPS! One of them even had a walking stick! Did any one else see those crazy Bass heads?

Although Eavis seems out of touch with many people, thinking Metal acts are un popular, infact for a festival priding itself on musical diversity it misses out hugely on some quality bands. Can you honnestly imagine some one even as "heavy" as Lost Prophets playing there? Me neither... Im not talkign about heavy metal ala Slipknot but diversity would be cool.