womad 2009

Guest jags

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good weekend, one of my favourite WOMAD's i think.

Got there quite late on Friday evening, set my tent up just before it started getting dark. Caught a fair bit of RSD's set, enjoyed the Dubstep and the old school DnB that he dropped the last 15 minutes or so.

After that we pretty much chilled at Solly's bar, then Pink Flamingo's. Some good tune'age there. I was up untill about 7am lol.

Saturday was a good day, for some reason i got up mega early...like 10:30 or something. Spent alot of the day drinking cider and enjoying the sunshine at the Arboretum (sp?). Checked out some Cuban Hip Hop group later on, i think they played at the Siam. They were pretty good, enjoyed the beats etc. But after i while i started to get a bit bored because i couldn't understand a word they were saying lol.

Saw some amazing beatboxing on the night, was well impressed by that! the nights a bit of a blur after them lol, we went to the Cocktail bar and was probably dancing in there for a good hour. Then off to the Thai Tea place. Up talking shit and generally having a laugh untill about 8am Sunday morning.

The only downfalls was the weather on Sunday, i was considering staying the night and calling in sick today, but the weather changed my mind and i drove home at about 10 Sunday eve.

Also our neighbours were very moany at times. I was up talking with a mate from 7-8am Sunday morning and had quite a few complaints the next day, it's not like it was the middle of the night and we weren't even speaking that loud tbh.

Overall, quality weekend. I'll be back again next year!

I did enjoy this years WOMAD, but it was surprising how few big name acts there were. It made me wonder where my money went this year!

I've been going to WOMAD for years and was just thinking that it wasn't like the old days when you could see yodelling mongolians in silly hats and maybe i'd seen it all, when lo and behold up pops an afro-peruvian playing a donkey's jaw instrument (Radiokijada with guy from Gotan Project). Thoroughly recommend it, dark and brooding music and the jaw is wonderful! (http://www.womad.org/artists/radiokijada)

Otherwise a splendid time as ever :)

strange .... he's on the line-up graphic on the front page, but not in their artists A-Z, and hasn't been in the press releases either.

I'll check it out .... hopefully it's true. :lol:

Edited by Kizzie

Had a great festival really nice to meet up with some fellow efesters too. :lol:

So glad that I saw Dennis Bovell - one of the best acts all weekend.

Thought that the line up was really good and very varied - wet weather on Sunday was a bit of a pain but didn't spoil our fun!

Left the site on Monday at 3.45pm (the site was mostly dry by then) nice to see that there were still security on the gates. Also good to see that the area where we were camped was mostly litter free.

Looking forward to WOMAD 2010. :)