DJ/RUPTURE

LA BIEN QUERIDA

LOS PUNSETES

TIM BURGESS DJ

DR. KIKO

DANIEL DEVINE

MENEO

Edited by frankburns

Some of those are for the closing party, shame as I'll be home!

Saint Etienne

Liars

Herman Dune

Jeremy Jay

Jesu

Dead Meadow

DJ /rupture

Rhythm & Sound (Mark Ernestus) feat. Tikiman

La Bien Querida

Los Punsetes

Meneo

-Sunday 31st of may, Primavera Sound's closing party at Apolo venue:

Dj Yoda

Tim Burgess (The Charlatans)

Dr. Kiko

Daniel Devine (WaKS records)

(Further information coming soon)

from primavera-sound-website:

New artists confirmed:

-Parc del Fòrum: Th' Faith Healers, The Bats, Tokyo Sex Destruction feat. Gregg Foreman (The Delta 72/ Cat Power), Maika Makovski.

Showcases:

-Monday 25th of May.

Apolo venue. Limbo Starr showcase: Half Foot Outside + Tachenko + P.A.L + Brian Hunt

-Tuesday 26th of May.

Apolo venue. Heart Of Gold showcase: The Reigning Sound + The Right Ons

Sidecar venue. B-Music showcase: Andy Votel Dj + Chris "The Judge" Arthur Dj + Wio Leokadio

-Wednesday 27h of May.

Apolo venue. Acuarela showcase: Zu + Dälek + Agent Ribbons + Bélmez

Sidecar venue. Holy Cobra Society showcase: The Intelligence + Muletrain

-Joan Miró park: Klaus & Kinski, Crystal Stilts*, Ponytail*, Plants & Animals*, Bowerbirds*, Kimya Dawson, Angelo Spencer, Karl Blau.

*Their concert at the Joan Miró park will be a special show apart from the one they will perform at the Parc del Fòrum

-Sunday 31st of May (closing party). Apolo and La [2] venues: Stanley Brinks featuring Freschard & Ish Márquez, Merienda Cena, Duchesss Says, Dj Yoda, John Maus, Tim Burgess dj (The Charlatans), Daniel Devine (WaKS Records), Dr. Kiko.

MORE ARTISTS TO BE CONFIRMED!

Edited by frankburns

• 1 month later...

Times won't be released until about 2 weeks before the festival but the band day and venue breakdown is here on the official site.

Theres alot of small little bits in addition to the festival.

First off on the weekend before the festival there is something called Primavera Metro which is small local bands playing to the public in the metro stations. These are on the page as Metro.

Then there are the showcase shows curated by various sponsors of the festival. These take place on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before the festival. There are 2 each night in two different venues... one called Sidecar and the other called Apolo. On the breakdown page I linked the name in brackets beside each is who is curating that particular day. Its usually only a couple of small bands at each of these each night but theres a few gems in there occasionaly.

The festival itself is on Thursday to Saturday in Parc del Forum. The Auditori is a large building beside the festival site while the rest is outdoor stages. The main stage is called Estrella Damn. ATP and Pitchfork are two other stages curated by their namesakes. There are a couple more stages but the acts haven't been specified for them yet so those acts simply have Parc Del Forum beside them.

On the Saturday and the Sunday there are gigs in Parc Joan Miro, which is a public park near the Espanya metro, from around Midday. The main festival only starts at 4pm and ends at 6am so getting to these can be tough but there are several biggish acts doing them, though most are ALSO playing somewhere in the forum... except for Kimya Dawson who is only playing in Parc Joan Miro.

FINALLY there is a closing party on the Sunday night that happens in the Apolo nightclub and acts playing that are marked as such.

All of the above is included in the price of the main festival ticket. The metro stuff and possibly the Parc Joan Miro stuff is open to the public I think.

Edited by snipe

wow thanks. i now understand it. for some reason i started to panic thinking that i was going to miss a wad of bands cause they are not at the fest! i didnt realise there were so many stages. dont know what i thought to be honest, i just really wanted to go so bought the tickets then thought about things later!

cheers for all the info. :D:PB):D

Hey - any advice on where to stay during this festival? Do the hostels fill up really fast? I stayed at two hostels in Barcelona before (one of "europe's best hostels" and another one) but I can't remember the names... What is close by? Any recommendations and/or advice greatly appreciated! See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Did people in UK get their tickets from Seetickets? Do they deliver or do we have to pick up over there?

Cheers if you can help

Can't believe the price has went from €95 to €155!! Should have bought in January!

The staggered price is good I think. They always give warning on the site before it happens and they do it at the same time every year usually just after an announcement. Its not even much of a gamble to pick them up early because you can of course sell them at the price you paid when they are selling for much more. To that end youd probably be able to find someone selling a few cheapies if you looked around. Try the spanish language forum on the festival site (though they usually kill the threads quickly) or the event page on last.fm or the primavera thread on drowned in sound.

This is seetickets first year doing the tickets so don't know the setup for them. I know people over here in Dublin who ordered were told it would be collect only but I think thats just a general See tickets thing with overseas orders... reckon they'll deliver to Scotland though.

The staggered price is good I think. They always give warning on the site before it happens and they do it at the same time every year usually just after an announcement. Its not even much of a gamble to pick them up early because you can of course sell them at the price you paid when they are selling for much more. To that end youd probably be able to find someone selling a few cheapies if you looked around. Try the spanish language forum on the festival site (though they usually kill the threads quickly) or the event page on last.fm or the primavera thread on drowned in sound.

This is seetickets first year doing the tickets so don't know the setup for them. I know people over here in Dublin who ordered were told it would be collect only but I think thats just a general See tickets thing with overseas orders... reckon they'll deliver to Scotland though.

Only 2 weeks to go. Timetable is out on the site. It always disappoints me there isn't much talk about this festival here. Helps pass the time waiting with a little bit of gossip. Anyone got any recommendations of who to check out?

I think this is my plan at the moment:

Thursday:

Women

Magik Markers

Spectrum

Marnie Stern

Yo La tengo

Andrew Bird

Dead Meadow

Lightning Bolt

Aphex Twin

Ebony Bones

Squarepusher

Friday:

Magnolia Electric Co.

Bat For Lashes

Spiritualized

Carsick Cars

MBV

Crystal Antlers

Jarvis

Shellac

Bloc Party

Mahjongg

Saturday:

Alela Diane

Shearwater

Michael Nyman

Herman Dune

Oneida

Liars

Gang Gang Dance

SMD

Mehdi

Good bit of overlap depending on how the end times work out but its alot easier to move around the site than your average festival so going to do a good bit of running around to try and solve the clashes.

some small changes in the timetable:

http://www.primaverasound.com/data/pdf/SHOWS.pdf

my plan:

thursday:

spectrum or girls

vaselines

yo la tengo

andrew bird or phoenix

mbv or jay reatard

aphex twin

wavves

friday:

crystal stilts

vivian girls

spiritualized

pains of... or art brut

throwing muses

jarvis

shellac

bloc party

saturday:

chad van gaalen

plants & animals

neil young

deerhunter or ezra furman

sonic youth

soft pack

black lips

Edited by frankburns

i cant believe this time next week i will be in barca gettin ready for this!

am going to be in town the night of the champions league final so hope to catch that in a good bar! get in the party mood (if they win of course!).

i have no idea of plans on what to watch yet. i know a few definites, but not many, think i am going to wander about and see what takes my fancy!

woohoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone enjoy themselves? I felt it was a bit more sedate than other years which may be me getting old and taking it easy or the new drink ticket system (boo!). The new vice stage was really nice I have to say. The lack of alternative to Neil Young was a bit cheaky but made Oneida all the better. Plants and Animals, The Mae Shi and Dan Deacon were some of my more favourite acts probably beacause they werent shoegaze. :-D

Great festival!

Favourite concerts: Vaselines, Throwing Muses, Spiritualized, Neil Young, Yo La Tengo

Nicest surprises: Ezra Furman, The New Year

Weirdest moment: The "dancer" who joined Kimya Dawson on stage

Loudest moment: The last 10 minutes of My Bloody Valentine

Most useless items: Beer-ticket-machines

Hopefully, I'll be back there in 2010...

Great festival!

Favourite concerts: Vaselines, Throwing Muses, Spiritualized, Neil Young, Yo La Tengo

Nicest surprises: Ezra Furman, The New Year

Weirdest moment: The "dancer" who joined Kimya Dawson on stage

Loudest moment: The last 10 minutes of My Bloody Valentine

Most useless items: Beer-ticket-machines

Hopefully, I'll be back there in 2010...

Edited by Kombucha

• 2 weeks later...
The Primavera Sound 2009 will take place in Barcelona from 28th to 30th of may. The organisation already revealed a few names:

My Bloody Valentine

Spiritualized

Alela Diane

Kitty, Daisy and Lewis

The Soft Pack

Damien Jurado

Michael Nyman

Throwing Muses

Extra Life

The Vaselines

Gang Gang Dance

More names to be announced during january, knowing that a big part of the names will be said at the end of february.

Getting tickets early enable to have better prices (I got mine for 93€ now and around may it costs usually ~130€).

NO camping at the festival but you can easily get an accomodation in Barcelona, the festival takes place in the city and there is a subway line and several bus lines to go to the place.

This festival is cool, a great mix of rock-pop-folk-electro bands, where you can get to see the next hype (MGMT or Vampire Weekend were there in 2008 for example) and see the great old bands (Devo, Sonic Youth, The Stooges for the last years) and last but not least, lots of impressive bands you don't see that much in other festivals.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I didn't really approve of the fact that I had to predetermine every drink that I would want at the start of each day. It was fine if I was just settled on beer but did get incredibly annoying. I usually bought my tickets at the end of the day.

Ezra Furman & The Harpoons were exceptional. I also loved plants & animals and Dan Deacon.

Did anyone see either Magik Markers or Wavves? Both an absolute f**king drugged-up shambles.