The Glastonbury Smell

Guest BlackHole2006

Can't say there is one smell which brings back Glasto in general for me alas .

Since the Festival goes on for days and we experience all kinds of weather and I seem to wander around every area of the site I get everything from the stink of the toilets :lol: to the smells of cooking up around the Healing fields etc :lol: plus all the dope and woodsmoke wafting about.....

Will try to be more observant smellwise next year - perhaps I will come to a more definate conclusion .... lol :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup! Had a whole one to myself for "Lunch" on the saturday afternoon after seeing

Los Campesios! It was really tasty, and filled with sausages, mash potato and gravy.

mmmm.....

Ever since my 1st festival in 1999, whenever I've been unfortunate enough to have to use a portaloo in day-to-day life, the stench of poo, piss and chemicals has brought back a rush of warm fuzzy memories.

I now seek them out in the dead of night for a quick sniff. :blink:

• 2 years later...

Walking round where I live this time of year when the sun is setting you get the waft of bonfires and barbecues (and fresh grass!) always takes me to somewhere else in my head. That somewhere else is Glastonbury. Bliss.

I think festivals in general have a certain smell....the combination of beer, sweat, people smelling, fast food, the stench from the ground as it gets hot....i think we all know that smell i mean....not rancid foul...but each time i smell it for the 1st time at glasto/reading etc i think "ahh im back!"

When walking down a short cut alleyway in Carlisle last year, I was suddenly reminded of Glastonbury. "Its the smell", I thought "it smells of Glastonbury!"

I quickly grabbed my phone and texted someone to tell them my amazing discovery of the Alleyway That Smells of Glastonbury.

Straight after i had sent this message, i realised the smell was just pee.

its great when you get back to the real world walk in a pub and VERY ONE looks at you and they all know you've been some where cos of the smell ..they just dont realize just how special that place is :lol::lol:

i know wot i mean :PB)

grilling meat, woodfire smoke and a little bit of warm (yet damp) grass for me

was cycling home from work a few weeks ago, one of the first really warm days of the year and i went past a steak restaurant at the top of a gentle hill that had all of it's patio style doors open to enjoy the warm weather. the sun was just going down and i looked around me as i started to cruise downhill and thought 'it's wednesday night at glastonbury!'.

talked about it all night in the pub i did - for me there's a different smell on the wednesday night to any other, loads of people barbecuing up their sausages etc that have been defrosting on the journey down :) (that and the fact that i'm still just about sober enough to remember it. oh, and my nose is still functioning properly ;))