2 Legend (Old Duffer) Headliners

Guest sdaveak47

Everyone's talking like these 3 are the headliners..i'm not convinced Michael Eavis would book Blur, Bruce and Neil Young as the 3 headliners..I could see Franz taking a headline slot, not that i would want them too. They headlined Reading in 06 so its not a case of them not being big enough.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its pretty good having them. I would guess that the other stage headliners will be completely different as mentioned in other threads. This gives everyone the chance to see a current 'big' band on the other stage or the chance to see a 'giant' on the pyramid. Considering what happened with Leonard Cohen and Neil Young with loads of under 35s going to see them just to see who / what they were like.

I guess it is an interesting stance to take, but glasto can't just go down the Reading / V headliner route otherwise it really is doomed.

im young and i dont care who headlines, theres plently of other stages with younger acts on if i want to see them. I will say that eavis cant win, last year and the year before he got young acts to headline and people complained, this year hes got 3 legends playing (apparently) and now people are complaining, really the guy cant win - i just want a good time, and if i dont like the 3 headliners i'll go do something else

Everyone's talking like these 3 are the headliners..i'm not convinced Michael Eavis would book Blur, Bruce and Neil Young as the 3 headliners..I could see Franz taking a headline slot, not that i would want them too. They headlined Reading in 06 so its not a case of them not being big enough.

im young and i dont care who headlines, theres plently of other stages with younger acts on if i want to see them. I will say that eavis cant win, last year and the year before he got young acts to headline and people complained, this year hes got 3 legends playing (apparently) and now people are complaining, really the guy cant win - i just want a good time, and if i dont like the 3 headliners i'll go do something else

I think there is a very good chance that FF will headliner above Neil Young, maybe the originizers are waiting to see how their new album does before deciding who will headline and who will play second.

Franz Ferdinand are NOT going to be a headliner.

Here's why:

1. Neil is very sure that the three mentioned are the headliners. If it wasn't these three then I'm pretty sure that the organisers would say that the three rumoured are not correct. All they said was that they aren't 100% confirmed.

Edited by thomasowen

I think there is a very good chance that FF will headliner above Neil Young, maybe the originizers are waiting to see how their new album does before deciding who will headline and who will play second.

Neil though Leonard Choen would headline this year and he ended up playing below Verve.

Thats a coincidence, I wouldn't base anything on that. If your going to start saying things like that you could argue that for as long as I can remember Glastonbury have always had a young band headline (for want of a more appropriate term) eg. Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Muse etc.

Kings of Leon before this summer were NOT a huge band, that is correct. Now thanks to Glastonbury and Sex on Fire they are. The reason they headlined this year was as the Eavises said, there was a lack of big acts wanting to do it. If Neil Young was playing last year there would be no way Kings of Leon would have been after him.

I am not denying the possibility that Neil Young might be a 2nd-from-top slot, its just that I'm sure it wouldn't be Franz Ferdinand ahead of him.

I think it's a case that if they elevated another "new" band to headliner slot, then they start running out of legitimate possibilities in a few years or so, and so you're just chucking bands up before they're ready, cheapening the festival.

We've had arctics and killers, who were probably the biggest of the recent lot, so they won't do it for a few more years again (as the other festivals, Reading/V etc, will want them, or have had them), and many of the others aren't currently big enough/have a back catalogue enough to do it. Give them another album however and they probably will. After the fallow year, then they'll probably be a lot more competent for the slot, and if not, then they're not ready. There's numerous bands that have been festival stalwarts without getting to headliner status (supergrass etc), and I don't think bands should get that slot just because they're new, and everyone else has already played.

I think this year the undercard's going to be very strong; not in personal preference way, but that some of the bands on the undercard could've been considered to be headlining. (kaisers/franz etc)

I also think Gilmour's pop at the festival regards Wright might have had an influence. Eavis has always wanted these acts supposedly, and (speculating) if they both asked to play, given their age and how quickly health can decline/bands stop touring etc, then perhaps Eavis saw this as possibly last chance to get them and wouldn't want the regret of something happening similar to Wright. Not saying he'd go back on that decision as he was already booked up, but no doubt would've liked Wright to have played the festival at least once.