To camp or caravan?

Guest GINGERWILDCAT

I've a dilemma,i've been washed out at Glasto too many times now and we've just bought a caravan,the dilemma is,do me and the wife caravan in comfort or rough it just to be camping with our mates?Can anyone sell the caravan idea to me?I love the camping and the banter,will we still get a certain ammount of that?Is the camping far from the main arenas,is there much space on the camp site,can you have bbq's,can someone please sort me out?

All advice will be greatfully accepted!!! :rolleyes:

take the caravan and pitch a tent inside the fence.

that way you can have a place to have a midafternoon kip (if you're like me) without trailing all the way back to the caravan. even sleep there but have the caravan as a bad weather backup and to cook/wash or whatever.

a few people on here were talking about that last year. a cheap tent+sleeping bags combo from tesco won't set you back that much, you'll only need a cheap tent if you'll have the 'van as a backup.

I'm having the same dilemma. We've just bought a campervan and are considering using it for glastonbury, but we're concerned that we'll miss out on the atmosphere of the campsite and we've also heard loads of bad stuff about being miles from the festival and spending most of your time walking between the two. Also I don't know if I can justify £60 to park in a field with the same facilities that are available for free in the normal campsite.

Having said that the thought of having a decent cuppa in the morning and not having to pay 1.50 for it, and drinking it from a proper cup does appeal to me (as does having the occasional cold beer/cider).

Can someone decide for me as well please!!!!

Last year on the Thursday I had the pleasure of walking from the CV field, the far far end, to the entrance near the Peel tent, Gate A?, and then all the way back with a MASSIVE ruck sack. I had a cracker of a hangover, one of those "I may puke at any moment" ones and a headache so bad that it was sore to open my eyes.

However, after 12 hours of walking around in the mud, its nice to get back to an actual bed, quiet, hot shower etc. But the hill of death. Not nice at all. And you do tend to miss the early bands waiting around for others to get ready etc because its not like you can just nip back to the tent in the middle of the day.

What I would suggest though, is do both, tent and van. Pitch a tent down on the site, somewhere central and throw a few beers, pillow etc in it. That way, if youre too minced, goosed or moosed to get back to the van during the day or at night, you can flake there as opposed to walking up and down 4 times a day.

After 3 years of the van however, Im tenting it this year. In the van you can end up 40 minutes from the Pyramid Stage, it can be a mare.

So, to answer your question......errr...I dont know.

My first two Glasto's were spent in a mates VW Camper.

My next 6 camped with mates in Big Ground.

I now realise who much I missed in the first two years with being in the camper van field.

The thing was , we would be out all day , then we would wander back to the van for a so called

few hours rest before heading back into site. But my friends then decided they could not really be bothered

and had settled down for the night.

Barring little un's I could never see myself in the camper van field again !

I would definitely recommend taking the caravan / camper- I camped for 6 years and last 3 years taken a campervan - there really is no comparison. The only thing you miss out on is the endless noise throughout the night. My worst year was camped in Dragon Field when they had the 24 hour Joe Strummer society in full swing - now I didnt mind Joe or his music - but after 72 hours non stop I needed some sleep..You can create some atmosphere in the CV field with a fire and a some booze quite easily. I will add I am getting older though - so being able to sleep on a mattress really appeals - and of course dont underestimate the value of having a fridge for your own booze - and a toilet that is run under your own hygiene rules not someone elses....