Pre-sited caravans

Guest marooned

Gave up on Glastonbury when they started to ban live-in vehicles.

We go to 7 festivals a year with a small van and attached tunnel awning.

Is this arrangement STILL not allowed at Glastonbury....

ALSO, anyone link to info on the pre-sited caravans that used to be just off Lost Vagueness site about 8/10 years ago.

Cheers

Gave up on Glastonbury when they started to ban live-in vehicles.

We go to 7 festivals a year with a small van and attached tunnel awning.

Is this arrangement STILL not allowed at Glastonbury....

ALSO, anyone link to info on the pre-sited caravans that used to be just off Lost Vagueness site about 8/10 years ago.

Cheers

What counts as 'suitable fitted facilities' in a camper/caravan?

Your campervan/caravan MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities. Any converted vehicles must clearly be live-in vehicles. This does not mean simply a van with a piece of foam cut to size for a bed, and a bucket for washing!

A team of campsite staff and security staff will check that campervans and caravans coming into these fields have bona fide living accommodation. No other vehicles will be let onto these fields under any circumstances – not even late replacement vehicles in the case of a breakdown – sorry.

Yip, that answers one question - as I thought, no change, why is Glastonbury different from every other Festival though?

There is no national set of regulations for how any festival is to be run. What each festival has to comply with are the rules set by its local authorities - local council, local police, local fire services, etc.

Although I'm not 100% certain, I would think it's very probably the case that the local fire service (or perhaps council) has stipulated that vans that are not converted to be a live-in vehicle are somehow more unsafe (perhaps as a fire risk) than those that have been converted, and the festival has to comply with their rules.

Alternatively, it might be the case that the festival's insurers want to charge the festival a significantly greater amount if unconverted vans are permitted, and that the festival has decided that the greater charge simply isn't worth it.

It's extremely unlikely that the festival has itself just simply decided not to allow unconverted vans.

Although I'm not 100% certain, I would think it's very probably the case that the local fire service (or perhaps council) has stipulated that vans that are not converted to be a live-in vehicle are somehow more unsafe (perhaps as a fire risk) than those that have been converted, and the festival has to comply with their rules.

Alternatively, it might be the case that the festival's insurers want to charge the festival a significantly greater amount if unconverted vans are permitted, and that the festival has decided that the greater charge simply isn't worth it.

That sounds about right, insurers in particular are very fussy about conversions - friends of mine have a second-hand "DIY" campervan (which meets all the criteria for Glasto) however they can't insure it as a camper, just the base panel van, as it wasn't converted by a professional / recognised company.

I happen to know that the Caravan Club will (or at least, used to) insure self-converted vans, and that their premiums are very often a lot cheaper than can be got elsewhere. (it might be the case that these policies are limited mileage tho, which might not suit everyone).

As shown in what someone posted above tho, Glastonbury allows self-converted vans to use their campervan fields - it's only non-converted vans that are not allowed.