Neil Young for Friday?

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the setlists for this year he occasionally played after the gold rush; about 10 times throughout the year so pretty rare.

Not sure we can take the recent setlists over the last month etc (albeit they're similar) as definites for what he'd play next year, as he does mix it up and seems to go through stages of playing certain songs for 6 months and then not again for ages.

From the two songs I saw...

Hammersmith, 15th march.

From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Kansas / Sad Movies / Mexico / A Man Needs A Maid / Harvest / Love In Mind / Journey Through The Past / Homegrown / Love Art Blues / Love Is A Rose / Out On The Weekend / Old Man // The Loner / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Powderfinger / Hey Hey, My My / Too Far Gone / Oh, Lonesome Me / Winterlong / No Hidden Path // f**kin' Up / Tonight's The Night // The Sultan

Werchter

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Spirit Road / When You Dance, I Can Really Love / f**kin' Up / All Along The Watchtower / Oh, Lonesome Me / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Words / No Hidden Path // A Day In The Life

What I'm hoping for as not seen, tho perhaps unlikely:

Cortez the killer, after the goldrush, don't let it bring you down, tell me why, down by the river, southern man, cowgirl in the sand, helpless, sugar mountain, like a hurricane, man needs a maid (cause it was beautiful at hammersmith)

Also check out these, they're the tally of what songs he played and how many times over the respective tours. Should give an inkling as to if something's a shoe in to be played.

http://www.rustradio.org/chart.php?tour=uscan2008

http://www.rustradio.org/chart.php?tour=euro2008p2

http://www.rustradio.org/chart.php?tour=euro2008

Edited by ralph250

I'm a Neil Young fan because my dad is, however, I've only got Harvest, I play it to death and if he just played that from start to finish I'd be happy. Looks like only Old Man, Needle and the damage done, Man Needs a maid seem to get airing from that album.

Given I only know a handful of songs I just hope he doesn't clash with someone major or I'll have a difficult decision to make!

I'm a Neil Young fan because my dad is, however, I've only got Harvest, I play it to death and if he just played that from start to finish I'd be happy. Looks like only Old Man, Needle and the damage done, Man Needs a maid seem to get airing from that album.

Given I only know a handful of songs I just hope he doesn't clash with someone major or I'll have a difficult decision to make!

I've only got three Neil Young albums but After The Goldrush has to be my favourite, I could listen to it all the way through pretty much indefinitely.

'Birds' is an incredible song, as is the title track. It's in all the "2 for £10" offers at the moment so now's the time to invest people!

Is Harvest Moon worth buying, anyone in the know?

I've only got three Neil Young albums but After The Goldrush has to be my favourite, I could listen to it all the way through pretty much indefinitely.

'Birds' is an incredible song, as is the title track. It's in all the "2 for £10" offers at the moment so now's the time to invest people!

Is Harvest Moon worth buying, anyone in the know?

Hello there,

I don't think you can really go wrong with After the Goldrush, there is not a bad song on it and it contains a few classics so i'd say that is a decent place to go after Harvest. Another few of my favourite albums are Tonight's the Night and Rust Never Sleeps, so i think any of the 3 of them are decent places to start ;)

Or you could always get a hold of his Greatest Hits, which contains most of his most famous songs. Although there are many great songs not featured it's got sa decent selection.

Hello there,

I don't think you can really go wrong with After the Goldrush, there is not a bad song on it and it contains a few classics so i'd say that is a decent place to go after Harvest. Another few of my favourite albums are Tonight's the Night and Rust Never Sleeps, so i think any of the 3 of them are decent places to start :lol:

Or you could always get a hold of his Greatest Hits, which contains most of his most famous songs. Although there are many great songs not featured it's got sa decent selection.

to those who want to check him out to see if you like him without spending loads on the different albums and without illegally downloading then "decade" is probably worth a shot at £8.34 inc. delivery from play.com.

it's a pretty excellent 2 disc "best of". Whilst there are obviously great songs missed, it still includes a decent range from the folky side to the more rock out side of Neil. It's the better of the two "best of's" around anyways, but if keen then get the albums aswell. But for the uninitiated it's probably worthwhile.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/7617/Decad...+-+Decade+(2CD)

For those willing to spend a touch more, and who don't like "best of's" and prefer buying albums, for the better flow/coherence etc then "after the goldrush", "everybody knows this is nowhere" & "harvest" would probably be the best start points...in that order I'd say. But everyone should have "zuma" aswell, and I think the "mtv unplugged" albums a delight.

Also, everybody and I mean everybody should own crosby, stills, nash and young - deja vu (the cd, not dvd, albeit that might be brilliant aswell)

Best offer I've found at the moment is 4 cds for £18 at blahdvd, and that includes "after the goldrush" "everybody knows this is nowhere", "zuma", "live rust", "harvest moon" etc

http://www.blahdvd.com/search.aspx?search=...mp;pg100012-0=1

Harvest and unplugged aren't within the offer but are £4.95 and £5.35 respectively, which is cheaper than amazon, play, hmv etc.

deja vu is £8.41

http://www.blahdvd.com/Music/Crosby-Stills...492/product.htm