Neil Young for Friday?

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've just put my deposit down as these three rumoured headline acts are worth the price alone (and it looks like I might get Tom Jones too!). I'm looking forward to sampling the general vibe that I have read so much about.

My attendance will put a bit of a dent in the average age though. Thankfully, my 17 year old, who does like his indie-landfill, was converted to The Boss after seeing him this year, so the new average will be a respectable 30 something.

Neil, would you say if Young and Springsteen are confirmed, and your bit about zep (without percy) possibly playing, that it's more unlikely that fleetwood mac or the eagles will aswell.

I can't see glasto getting all of them, although I guess emily said they were looking at doing the sunday oldie slot on the other days aswell.

Neil Young, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Jimmy Page & John Paul-Jones, Tom Jones, Rolf Harris, Madness, The Blockheads, The Specials, Squeeze. Seems a bit unlikely to me to get all that lot.....in 2009. ;):(

I can only say what I hear. I can't say whether or not they're definitely true because I simply don't know.

The only ones in that list I have serious doubts about are Fleetwood Mac and Eagles - all the others are very possible (or even probable) I think.

There's a long standing rumour from the Eagle's end somewhere about them playing a fest in the UK next summer, and there's not too many fests it could be so Glasto has to be a possibility (tho maybe IoW is more likely).

I can only say what I hear. I can't say whether or not they're definitely true because I simply don't know.

The only ones in that list I have serious doubts about are Fleetwood Mac and Eagles - all the others are very possible (or even probable) I think.

There's a long standing rumour from the Eagle's end somewhere about them playing a fest in the UK next summer, and there's not too many fests it could be so Glasto has to be a possibility (tho maybe IoW is more likely).

Frankly, I'm coming around to this view now, and I think it's a refreshing choice as well as an invigorating one.

I have never counted myself as a fan of either Mr. Young or Mr. Springsteen, but have heard little music from either of their camps (Blur are anomalous in this regard as I would place them comfortably in my top 10 acts ever, if not top 5). If their headline slots afford me the chance to both delve deeper into their music and possibly see them in the flesh while they remain active then this is no bad thing.

I first went to Glastonbury in 2003, when I was 11 and it was fantastic; I dragged my Dad to see Royksopp and converted him, fell asleep under the flags by the Jazz World Stage, visited the Stone Circle as 'A Design For Life' blared out in the distance and stayed up way past my bedtime. It was unforgettable and I am forever in debt to my fantastic father for the experience. I am now 17, having attended Glastonbury for the two years thereafter and Reading for the last 3. I fear that there is far too much crossover nowadays between two festivals which I both adore, and the individual merits of which cannot be underestimated. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the purportedly 'landfill' indie bands that play at both - I have seen Franz Ferdinand four times (first at Glasto '04), and look forward to adding a fifth to that list come next June - but I was fairly appalled at seeing The Kooks second-from-headline in '07 and The Fratellis in '08, as I do feel it typifies the recent slide into over-commercialization which Glastonbury has been in danger of, but now looks to be veering away from.

So well done Michael Eavis for getting your priorities straight and ushering in a much stronger era for the festival. Though I think some choices recently have been the right ones - I do reckon that in the recently-heightened-but-now-dissolving musical climate The Killers, Kings Of Leon and Arctic Monkeys all deserved their slots and stepped up to the mark well, aiding their propulsion into the big leagues - maybe now we'll see a welcome return to the Glastonbury I remember; one which saw R.E.M, Coldplay, White Stripes Paul McCartney, Muse, Radiohead and Oasis all headline in the three years I went.

So Neil (e-festivals). being really anal. can you give us a percentage chance for Bruce, Neil and Blur headlining?

If it's true, it's going to be the best headliners for me since I started going in 1994.

I actually think it's a really brave and bold move by ME. There are too many very average indie bands out there, Kaisers, Razorshite, Fratellis who he could have settled on.

Now, personally, I;m not a huge fan of any of these three acts, but even I have to say f***ing hell, to get those three they've done really well. No doubt about it, they're world class headliners. Nice one. I probably won't see any of them. but that's a hell of a line-up.