hiring campervans

Guest stevieg72

I take my own little van but have been told that there can be a problem hiring campervans for Glasto, others will hopefully give more info on this but it is possible to hire caravans and have them put on site for you so you just have to turn up without the fuss and spending the petrol money running a camper. There is a firm in Glastonbury town which does this. Hope you get sorted and have a great festie.

I hired a van in 2003 and some friends hired the previous year, from the same place - TilesHead near Salisbury. We were a bit worried about telling them it was for Glasto but we needn't be, they send lots of vans there every year. Tried to book one for 2004 in Jan 2004 and they were already all booked. They even used to deliver them to the site if you paid a few quid extra but I think they stopped doing that since the more strict ticketing system came in (obviously any delivery driver wouldn't have a ticket).

There's also another place in Weston-Super-Mare which I forget the name of. I recall in 2004 we ended up with one option from the whole of the south of the UK and that was a motorhome bigger than my flat that cost £2000 per day, it had everything - 3 double beds, satalite tv, dvd, fridge/freezer, driver... needless to say at that price we opted to buy a tent.

As for mileage - there's not normally a restriction unless you take them out of the country. They're fairly efficient too, running on Diesel and the fact they don't go very fast means you get good mpg. However, driving them through the small lanes that lead to the campervan fields on site can be quite hair-raising.

We sorted out a hire campervan today and they had no problems with it being used for glasto,

as soon as we said the dates the bloke said "ok.. for glastonbury? thats a busy one" ... we paid our deposit this morning and they said they only had 3 campers left for glasto week dates (2 now after ours)

The company weve used is http://www.abacusmotorhomehire.co.uk/

It looks like a fairly big company and It was the first one we tried so cant say we had problems finding a camper, maybe if we had left it till nearer the fest we may have found every where was booked up.

As for price, It was no more expensive than if we had hired it to go to cornwall for the week, I did expect them to boost the price up for festival use but they didnt so I think it was pretty fair, also they have an early bird discount on there campers if your book early too.

anyway thought Id post incase its useful to you or anyone ;)

• 1 month later...

buy one from e bay then sell it again trouble is once you had one you get hooked i had to sell ours when i got a new job as it was impractical to do the mileage in it and i still miss it almost pine for it and the laughs we used to have

still one day will have another