Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

36 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Top Gear... anyone watch?

Was pleasantly surprised. Decent car show, not spellbinding but think its a better show than Clarkson etc. made. 

Lots slagging it off, but I imagine that would have been the case whatever happened.

only caught the latter half but enjoyed what i saw. Chris Evans really seemed to be doing his best Clarkson imitation which was slightly offputting, but Matt Le Blanc surprised me - thought he would be kind of annoying but i thought he was the best bit of the show. it's still Top Gear, which is never gonna be brilliant TV, but it's just as good as it used to be despite what many may say

• 1 month later...

Stranger things on Netflix.  Beyond brilliant.  Got the last 2 episodes to watch and I'll have binged the whole thing in a day.  Like a homage to the very best of Stephen King (with a few knowing nods).  Fantastic performances from the young cast, the 80s setting and soundtrack just works so well also.

Honestly the best thing I've seen in ages, on the strength of it I'll be watching the film that the creators made prior to this tomorrow.

I also binged through Stranger Things. Strange, really, as I don't think it was aimed at my demographic. Or was it? Read something about it being Stephen King, X-Files, Goonies like so decided to give it a go but ended up thinking it was meant for a younger audience.

I'm halfway through Narcos. I know I'm late but that's more my thing.

Edit: And Bojack Horseman is back for its third season.

Edited by MrZigster

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I also binged through Stranger Things. Strange, really, as I don't think it was aimed at my demographic. Or was it? Read something about it being Stephen King, X-Files, Goonies like so decided to give it a go but ended up thinking it was meant for a younger audience.

It was very much like It meets Firestarter, extremely Stephen King influenced.  I thought it was pretty squarely aimed at our generation (I was the age of those kids in the year it was set) for nostalgia purposes but certainly younger friends have enjoyed it just as much as myself.  Being the only person on the planet to have never seen the Goonies I can't comment there.

The ending you can see coming a mile off and while it sets up for a potential second season continuation I would rather that they did the kind of self contained storytelling of American horror story than keep these characters and this plot going.

• 4 weeks later...

More great telly from Netflix, Baz Lurhman's The Get Down.  I know his stuff isn't to everyone's taste but this is a good mix of gritty realism with his flamboyant style for me.  The opening 10 minutes of episode 5 was one of those great moments of TV for me, perfectly judged and really uplifting stuff.  If you like Baz Lurhman I'd recommend it, acting is at times over the top and hammy and poetic as you might expect, but honestly stick with it and it's worth it, I expect a couple of the newcomers will be big stars in the future.

39 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

The referendum was bad enough, but I've never felt as out of step from my fellow countrymen as I do reading this

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/23/mrs-browns-boys-voted-best-sitcom-of-century

Trump, Brexit and now this. The world as we know it is over. 

As an Irishman I'm more than happy for it to be claimed as a "British" as its a Beeb thing. Made in Scotland.

On 17 August 2016 at 2:12 PM, Spindles said:

More great telly from Netflix, Baz Lurhman's The Get Down.  I know his stuff isn't to everyone's taste but this is a good mix of gritty realism with his flamboyant style for me.  The opening 10 minutes of episode 5 was one of those great moments of TV for me, perfectly judged and really uplifting stuff.  If you like Baz Lurhman I'd recommend it, acting is at times over the top and hammy and poetic as you might expect, but honestly stick with it and it's worth it, I expect a couple of the newcomers will be big stars in the future.

Just watching episode 1 after your post - hadn't realised it was Baz L! It. Is. Bonkers! I'm loving it. Not sure what husband makes of it :lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure its going to be to everyone's taste, Shaolin fantastic hams it up to Mercutio from R+J levels, for example, but I really enjoyed it.  A friend watched the first episode on my recommendation and basically came away shaking his head in sadness at my taste.

• Upvote 1

Lots of hints of mercutio throughout the older males as well. Also thought Zeke's delivery of his poem was reminiscent of Romeo. Neither a problem for me as it's one of my favourite films! The editing was mad in places, it's definitely one you need to be awake for. Music and choreography exceptional though. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, zero000 said:

New Black Mirror on Netflix from Oct 21st. Let's hope it's as good as the Channel 4 series.

Incredibly excited for this. Although some episodes have been stronger than others there hasn't been a 'bad' one yet so fingers crossed that continues. Glad Brooker is still at the helm - had a bad feeling he'd take a backseat once it went to Netflix

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:06 AM, philipsteak said:

The referendum was bad enough, but I've never felt as out of step from my fellow countrymen as I do reading this

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/23/mrs-browns-boys-voted-best-sitcom-of-century

My husband just showed me a clip of Naked attraction. On mainstream telly.

:o:o:o