Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

Episode 1 of Fargo was fantastic. Can't think of many pilots that have grabbed me so much. As a huge fan of the film, it was nice to see the many nods throughout and also reassuring to see the show can go it's own way also. Martin Freeman and Billy Bob were great along with the rest of the cast. I have a feeling this will be the next must-watch show (see BB and TD).

Edited by pea tear griffin

Really pleased currently. Just polished off true detective which was fantastic! Two of my fav's Game of Thrones and Mad Men are back, and even Californication seems like it might be making a return to form now Tim Minchin has made an exit

Edited by lost

Fargo was brilliant (1st ep)

BBT was really good, very menacing is a measured way. Martin Freeman was great too. Its been a long time since I saw the movie so wasnt entirely sure of the "lore" and how much it might be incorporated into the TV show. The feel is definitely there. Be interesting to see where it goes, and who's characters remain and get killed off.

• 3 weeks later...

I fell for the marketing, and watched 24 Live Another Day. I thought a few years without Bauer might make me miss him. It did, but within 20 minutes, I was picking holes all over the place.

"The chinese are sending their fleet to the Mediterranean, in a move to intimidate the British" - Really? the med?

British "CTU" was on a "Level 5 lockdown", jack escaped through a hole in the roof, yet the poisoner from Dexter managed to exit the building and appear above ground level in about 8 seconds, despite being completely incapacitated seconds earlier by the blast. Really? level 5 lockdown you say?

I might stick with it a couple more episodes to see how silly it gets, but my patience will not stretch very far.

Fargo, however - is rolling along without missing a step. It's brilliant.

What's the consensus on the new series of Derek? Loved series 1, turned off halfway through episode 2 of the new series as it was crap. Worth going back to? The whole "pseudo-philosophical Derek" interspersed with "smutty Kev" was driving me nuts!

I fell for the marketing, and watched 24 Live Another Day. I thought a few years without Bauer might make me miss him. It did, but within 20 minutes, I was picking holes all over the place.

"The chinese are sending their fleet to the Mediterranean, in a move to intimidate the British" - Really? the med?

British "CTU" was on a "Level 5 lockdown", jack escaped through a hole in the roof, yet the poisoner from Dexter managed to exit the building and appear above ground level in about 8 seconds, despite being completely incapacitated seconds earlier by the blast. Really? level 5 lockdown you say?

I might stick with it a couple more episodes to see how silly it gets, but my patience will not stretch very far.

Fargo, however - is rolling along without missing a step. It's brilliant.

24 is too ridiculous, and like Die Hard or even Big Brother, the first one is good, but the concept itself relies so much on being fresh that following attempts are seen as far too coincidental and contrived to be believed.

Die Hard's 'regular unlucky cop' John Mclane having a lightning strike him is believable in the first film, pushing it in the second, contrived in the third and ridiculous beyond that. The only one which works properly is the first film, which he is thrown in by total accident and you can believe it completely, it kinda just lands on him and you're totally on board with it. The sequels fail because right away you're thinking "oh come on!".

Jack Bauer is even worse. The idea that Jack Bauer not only ends up in these situations multiple times, but resolves them all in precisely 24 hours is utterly laughable.

24 is too ridiculous, and like Die Hard or even Big Brother, the first one is good, but the concept itself relies so much on being fresh that following attempts are seen as far too coincidental and contrived to be believed.

Die Hard's 'regular unlucky cop' John Mclane having a lightning strike him is believable in the first film, pushing it in the second, contrived in the third and ridiculous beyond that. The only one which works properly is the first film, which he is thrown in by total accident and you can believe it completely, it kinda just lands on him and you're totally on board with it. The sequels fail because right away you're thinking "oh come on!".

Jack Bauer is even worse. The idea that Jack Bauer not only ends up in these situations multiple times, but resolves them all in precisely 24 hours is utterly laughable.

I don't think you should think it through that much. There's no pretense of realism. It's ridiculously OTT and unashamedly so. If you bought into it, the first 5 seasons were great fun.

I don't think you should think it through that much. There's no pretense of realism. It's ridiculously OTT and unashamedly so. If you bought into it, the first 5 seasons were great fun.

Oh I did, I really enjoyed the first few series with the original crew of Jack, Tony etc.

It was when an atomic bomb with a mushroom cloud went off in LA.....jumped the shark with that.

Oh I did, I really enjoyed the first few series with the original crew of Jack, Tony etc.

It was when an atomic bomb with a mushroom cloud went off in LA.....jumped the shark with that.

Yep, I think many people lost it at that point. Think that was series 6. When they resort to exploding a nuke in the first few episodes you know they're running out of ideas.

First couple of episodes in series 9 are much better that few series that preceded it. The 12 episode format should keep it fresh and exciting without the extra waffle that they clearly had to resort to to stretch it to 24 eps.

Yep, I think many people lost it at that point. Think that was series 6. When they resort to exploding a nuke in the first few episodes you know they're running out of ideas.

First couple of episodes in series 9 are much better that few series that preceded it. The 12 episode format should keep it fresh and exciting without the extra waffle that they clearly had to resort to to stretch it to 24 eps.

The final straw for me was whn that guerrilla army of basically untrained soldiers broke into the whitehouse through the sewers in under 3 minutes and overpowered all of the secret service agents indoors in the following few minutes. I didn't watch any more after that.

As a vehicle for Claire Danes it's amazing, worth watching for her alone.

In terms of race-baiting it could have been a Melanie Phillips scripting vehicle.

Also, given you (surely?) know there are several more series, you already know the ending and the lack of courage it took the production team to get there.

As a vehicle for Claire Danes it's amazing, worth watching for her alone.

In terms of race-baiting it could have been a Melanie Phillips scripting vehicle.

Also, given you (surely?) know there are several more series, you already know the ending and the lack of courage it took the production team to get there.

That was exactly where it fell down for me but I didnt want to spoil it

If he had set the vest off at the end, the show could still have continued with Danes and all the rest, but we all remember them announcing that brody would be returning in season 2 before the first season had concluded, cheap and easy writing, and utterly without balls