Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

ive started watching the wire, a friend highly reccomended it and lent me his boxsets. im nearly at the end of series 1 and although it started out slow, its really getting good. the plot draws out a little slow, but thats not necessarily a bad thing...

anybody watched it? thoughts?

I seldom watch TV, but it was something else. DVDs duly purchased as it was often on BBC2 at a challenging time.

Started watching Freaks and Geeks. Had it recommended, then saw it in a list of best US shows that never made it over here. Surprisingly entertaining show. Worth a watch if you're into modern comedy films, just to see how much talent there is in that show.

It's a nice balance to Twin Peaks and Deadwood in the seriousness scales anyway.

The Wire is the best thing committed to film.

I'm in the middle of a long "Criminal Minds" re-watch as I need to do the research for my current hobby (I host/produce the podcast) and I forgot most of the first two seasons because Mandy Patinkin was in it and I really don't think he's a good actor, and his character, Gideon, was a prick. Joe Mantegna is so much better as Rossi, and Rossi reminds me of Fat Tony.

But tonight I go on to Bones... which I really am not liking at the moment. I don't think the episodes ar holding up to what the show used to be. But I started so I'll finish.

ive finished series one of the wire. it was great, best tv ive watched for a long time. im now onto series 2, although im not too keen on the new location, i preferred the ghetto kind of gang/drug dealers vibe. ill give it chance, and if it unravels like series 1 did ill be happy again, hope it keeps up and plays out nicely.

before i started on the wire, i watched the full battlestar galactice series it was ok (others clearly view it better than me as it seems highly rated around the net) but nothing amazing (but i may add, im not a big fan of sci-fi and if my mate hadent lent me it, it wouldent have got a second look in). if anybodies watched it i wonder what your thoughts are, i really think (spoiler alert)

it should have ended when they reached the first nuked out earth, when they were so happy about finding it, and then turning up on the shore with gieger counters and mass destruction infront of them, it just seemed like the perfect shocking ending. im not really one for the sweet happy sticky ending, it just seemed bland compared to the way they found the first earth.

and on the note of bsg, apparently starbuck is in 24 series 8 which i havent got around to seeing yet. oh and can i add i watched the whole bsg in blu ray, stunning visuals, i love blu ray now.

Is anyone else looking forward to watching the new series which starts next week, called Luther? BBC One, Tuesday night I think. It's good Idris Elba in it (Stringer Bell to the Wire fans out there), although from the clips I have seen of it, he's putting on a very odd English East-End type accent ....

Is anyone else looking forward to watching the new series which starts next week, called Luther? BBC One, Tuesday night I think. It's good Idris Elba in it (Stringer Bell to the Wire fans out there), although from the clips I have seen of it, he's putting on a very odd English East-End type accent ....

That would be his actual accent.... :P

• 1 month later...
have really loved Luther so far

hoping for a second series,

but its not looking good for stringer right now

I really wanted to like it, but thought it was gash. It's just a traditional cop-with-issues programme IMO, and I was expecting a lot more from it. And the female police chief's ridiculous cockernee accent is aggravating beyond belief.

Idris is a great actor though, fair play.

just finished the wire season 4, i have nothing but utter praise, it is the greatest tv show i have ever watched. i cant really point out an amazing part, its just the character development i guess, it runs so well and so many characters are great and likeable.

any reccomendations what to watch ofter the wire (only got series 5 left)? i dont really watch much tv, but my mate has recently been lending me boxsets (he has everything) so ive only really recently started watching big tv series, ive watched 24, battlestar galactica and now the wire. out of which the wire is definitely the best, 24 a close 2nd and battlestar a distant 3rd.

Edited by rhysieg

any reccomendations what to watch ofter the wire (only got series 5 left)? i dont really watch much tv, but my mate has recently been lending me boxsets (he has everything)

Homicide : Life on the Streets. You'll recognise a fair few of the scenes from the Wire. The photocopier lie detector one, for example.

Twin Peaks. Very different but utterly brilliant.

i asked a few friends reccomendations and it was a mixed bag, from its a bit too wierd to fantastic. ill get round to it though i have a shit load to watch

Homicide : Life on the Streets. You'll recognise a fair few of the scenes from the Wire. The photocopier lie detector one, for example.

not heard of this ill have to do some research (i dont like internet reviews too much, so ill ask friends, then at least i have something to talk about to them if they like it too)

i have 2 episodes of the wire left, f'king hell what a phenomenal series, never watched anything as good... a bit gutted that

omar got killed, it was so surprising and happened so fast i dindnt want to believe it, he was my favourite character. i at least thought he was going to have a standoff with marlo, ahhh well we still have my 2nd favourite, bubz, what a character.

cant believe how consistantly good its been, 5 rock solid amazing seasons....

i was pretty much forced into lost (havent watched a single episode of it) however i changed my mind to soprano's when my friend (who has all the box sets) said its better than goodfellas (i cant see how, infact films and tv series shouldent be compared, should they?) and i havent heard a single bad word said about it...

it was a toss up between the shield, soprano's, twin peaks, dexter and lost... soprano's it is....

(actually now i think about it, i havent watched ANY of 24 season 8, but ive seen the other 7 so i might have to quickly watch that series... is there anywhere i can stream it from on the internet? in good quality, it isnt out on dvd yet is it?)

Edited by rhysieg

Sopranos is excellent, just about to start watching it from the beginning. Dexter is superb and the Shield is well worth a watch.

Will throw my hat into the ring for Carnivale as well. Excellent series, shame it was axed after 2 with so much potential but still well worth it!

Going to start watching Oz as well, have heard good things about it

Just finished watching SPARTACUS

I mentioned this on another thread, but this has just started on Bravo - watched episode one last night.

It's f**king ATROCIOUS. The most ludicrous, CGI-laden, over-violent, tits-strewn, historially innacurate pile of dross I have ever seen.

But good grief - it's SUCH FUN.

On series link now. I'm hooked. :lol:

Sopranos is excellent, just about to start watching it from the beginning. Dexter is superb and the Shield is well worth a watch.

Will throw my hat into the ring for Carnivale as well. Excellent series, shame it was axed after 2 with so much potential but still well worth it!

Going to start watching Oz as well, have heard good things about it

Anyone seen The Corner?

Just bought it and really looking forward to seeing it.

Also got Homicide:LotS seasons 1 and 2 to watch - picked them up for about a fiver each :)

I would recommend Generation Kill for any that haven't seen it. Shows the gritty, intense, boredom of war like nothing else.

Intrigued by Oz and Sons of Anarchy - might try and pick them up on the cheap.

Edited by pehaw

Anyone seen The Corner?

Just bought it and really looking forward to seeing it.

Also got Homicide:LotS seasons 1 and 2 to watch - picked them up for about a fiver each :)

I would recommend Generation Kill for any that haven't seen it. Shows the gritty, intense, boredom of war like nothing else.

Intrigued by Oz and Sons of Anarchy - might try and pick them up on the cheap.

Gen Kill is excellent!

Have had the first few eps of sons of anarchy on my comp for ages but still never got round to watching it :(