The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

Anyone been watching the 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN Classic? One doc a night on for all of December. Watched Straight Outta LA (directed by Ice Cube) last night. About the LA Raiders, NWA and minorities in LA during the 80s. Very good.

I have the 30 for 30 documentary the two Escobars to watch.

Purchased the two documentaries on theWest Memphis Three as I caught part of one at ATP last weekend. Interesting stuff.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a pilger triple bill, Coke v Pepsi, Stealing a Nation, and Breaking the silence (truth and lies in the war on terror).

all brilliant, the CvP one is very dated, but still very interesting. SaN stunned me, I knew nothing of Diego Garcia at all, its a f**king disgrace that our government treat an entire society in such a terrible way, and continues to do so. And breaking the silence almost had me in tears at the children crying in the iraqi hospital. Powerful, moving and very important stuff. Still, Eastenders and Corrie are on later. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Watched “Unforgivable Blackness – The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson”. Documentary, a LONG documentary (3 1/2 hours) about boxer Jack Johnson by Ken Burns. Great insight into the state of America at the time, race relations and the like. Amazing footage from the 1910s too. Some heavy hitter narrators - Samuel L. Jackson and Ed Harris.

A must for any boxing or history fans.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, not been in here for a while and have 2 amazing docs to tell you about.

Gasland. Just watch it. There was a piece on the local news a coupla months ago saying that Lincolnshire and the north east were leading sites for shale gas/ fracking. I f**king hope not after watching this amazing and terrifying doc.

And "inside job" about the banking crisis. Fascinating stuff. Well worth a watch.

Gasland. Just watch it. There was a piece on the local news a coupla months ago saying that Lincolnshire and the north east were leading sites for shale gas/ fracking. I f**king hope not after watching this amazing and terrifying doc.

And "inside job" about the banking crisis. Fascinating stuff. Well worth a watch.

I want to see both, Is Inside Job online now?

I've just had a pilger triple bill, Coke v Pepsi, Stealing a Nation, and Breaking the silence (truth and lies in the war on terror).

all brilliant, the CvP one is very dated, but still very interesting. SaN stunned me, I knew nothing of Diego Garcia at all, its a f**king disgrace that our government treat an entire society in such a terrible way, and continues to do so. And breaking the silence almost had me in tears at the children crying in the iraqi hospital. Powerful, moving and very important stuff. Still, Eastenders and Corrie are on later. :angry:

Will be watching all of these ASAP. Sound fascinating.

You watch the latest Zeitgeist?

I want to see both, Is Inside Job online now?

indeed it is. theres a hd bluray rip out too, but the divx is plenty good enough.

Will be watching all of these ASAP. Sound fascinating.

You watch the latest Zeitgeist?

kinda started it, I find them a bit "tinfoil hat" tbh. a bit sensationalist.

I might give it another go, i only started watching it on youtube, I might grab a divx and watch it on the proper telly.

Fantastic. Getting Inside Man on bluray now. Been getting bogey files all week.

Also, I highly recommend A Decade Under the Influence about American film in the 1970s. Fascinating stuff.

Pretty good documentary, Interesting to see how much European cinema influenced the 70's hollywood movement.

Saw Life in a Day, the Youtube documentary by Kevin McDonald and Ridley Scott made up of 80,000 video submissions all taken on July 24th 2010. Really groundbreaking stuff, a “global” film in the true sense. Same-ish concept as Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka, a film about different places in the world, but Life in a Day is about people and obviously shot by amateurs.

Not an easy watch by the way. I was expecting lots of happy clappy people running about “loving life” but its not like that at all. Some of the scenes are very difficult to watch. And that sort of shit usually doesn't affect me really.

Great concept, interesting and unique really. Could be year zero for another genre maybe, but still only just "good" as entertainment.

Saw Life in a Day, the Youtube documentary by Kevin McDonald and Ridley Scott made up of 80,000 video submissions all taken on July 24th 2010. Really groundbreaking stuff, a "global" film in the true sense. Same-ish concept as Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka, a film about different places in the world, but Life in a Day is about people and obviously shot by amateurs.

Not an easy watch by the way. I was expecting lots of happy clappy people running about "loving life" but its not like that at all. Some of the scenes are very difficult to watch. And that sort of shit usually doesn't affect me really.

Great concept, interesting and unique really. Could be year zero for another genre maybe, but still only just "good" as entertainment.

sounds pretty good, gonna check this out when I get home, ta :)

dont hold your breath, its down for a UK release in June, unless another region gets it on DVD soon, its unlikely we will see anything of it until early to mid may. its not the kind of film that gets "screenered", so leaks are usually scarce. unforunately, niche movies dont often become available early.