The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

Going to the Bill Hicks documentary tonight, Q&A with the directors after. Should be a hoot.

"Good evening, my name is Bill Hicks. I've been on the road now doing comedy for 12 years, so bear with me while I plaster on a fake smile and plow through this sh1t one more time. … I'm kinda tired of traveling, kinda tired of doing comedy, kinda tired of staring out at your blank faces looking back at me, wanting me to fill your empty lives with humor you couldn't possibly think of yourselves."

Going to the Bill Hicks documentary tonight, Q&A with the directors after. Should be a hoot.

"Good evening, my name is Bill Hicks. I've been on the road now doing comedy for 12 years, so bear with me while I plaster on a fake smile and plow through this sh1t one more time. … I'm kinda tired of traveling, kinda tired of doing comedy, kinda tired of staring out at your blank faces looking back at me, wanting me to fill your empty lives with humor you couldn't possibly think of yourselves."

How was it?

How was it?

Few points:

- Really well made/inventive production.

- Lots of stuff I'd never seen. Particularly stuff from v start and (sadly) the v end. He was SO ambitious!

- Not enough Bill and too much from his friends and family. It reeked of "officially sanctioned"...

- Twas a bit vague on details.

The volcanic ash had put paid to the HD showing of the flick - it was shown on DVD - a first for a premiere in Ireland methinks.

:P

How was it?

Agree with Wooderson, very enjoyable, lots I havent seen before and can only help with the great mans popularity.

Very well made and really shows how sad his death was in that he was only getting better with age. He could've been a Lenny Bruce type character but someone that made a difference. To think that the world lost him and Sam Kinison in less than 2 years is depressing.

Nice one, I look forward to seeing it. I always wonder if Bill never passed, Just how he would slate the war on terror and the whole iraq situaiton and also with the internet being such a big part in peoples lifes thesedays, I think he would of had so much to say.

Theres a bit in the film that I hadnt seen before regarding the armed forces that wouldve got him bottled off stage had he tried in these days. Hardcore views from the man. He was near the end and didnt give a f*ck. Won't spoil it for you but was enlightening stuff.

Theres a bit in the film that I hadnt seen before regarding the armed forces that wouldve got him bottled off stage had he tried in these days. Hardcore views from the man. He was near the end and didnt give a f*ck. Won't spoil it for you but was enlightening stuff.

Yeah, the angry "I know Im going to die" months. He would be killed maybe for saying it these days, not even bottled.

• 5 weeks later...
If you havent seen it you should check out Penelope Speeris' "The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years". One of the best films about the 80's i've seen.

Metalyears.jpg

It captures the last days of the heavy metal scene perfectly, summed up by a heart breaking but still funny scene of the lead singer of WASP guzzling down vodka in a pool with his mother watching on.

I've just starting watching some documentary films, and came to this thread for some suggestions.

The guy swigging the vodka was Chris Holmes. He was the guitarist. Blackie Lawless was the singer. He had the exploding codpeice.

Watched it last night. A bit of a mess. Some good footage I haven't seen before mind you.

Finally got round to watching it, Thought it was pretty good but could of been a hell of alot better, seemed to focus more on Morrisons antics onstage rather than the actual music. Not really anything new which we didn't already know apart some unseen footage, They did use alot of footage from An American Pastoral [Jims experimental film]. Defo worth a watch if you're into The Doors though.

Check out King Of Kong (Fistfull Of Dollars)- about a guy trying to break the donkey kong arcade world record. Its pure genius, you cannot make half these characters up!

i also wanna check out the Rush Biopic that comes out in a few weeks.

Edited by Matticus

Been watching the Monty Python doco, Almost The Truth. Great series. Really good interviewing them all seperatly and seeing how they remember some things slightly differently depending on the role they played in that story. And how they used to really niggle at each other and at times really didn't like each other. Fascinating stuff and I really want to watch the films again now. Hard to fathom now just how big a shock the series was.

Never seen it or heard of it, looks amazing! Think my evening is sorted. :D

And after I watch it I may call up a few hookers to throw my junk around.

Theres a scene at a "Christian Theme Park" that is memorable enough.

I find Bill Maher to be a pretty bog standard lapsed Irish American Catholic though. Dry & tiresome.

Theres a scene at a "Christian Theme Park" that is memorable enough.

I find Bill Maher to be a pretty bog standard lapsed Irish American Catholic though. Dry & tiresome.

I havent seen this, but I have seen some of his stand up, or on things like the Daily Show and he is a bit shit. Put me off watching Religulous even though it sounds interesting

I havent seen this, but I have seen some of his stand up, or on things like the Daily Show and he is a bit shit. Put me off watching Religulous even though it sounds interesting

The guy pontificates just as much as the Catholic Church he is knocking! Not a patch on either Colbert or Stewart. The "New Rule" stuff just grinds my gears - sorry.

He did a brilliant interview with Chris Rock once though which was great.