The Cure

Guest twenty_foot_chickens

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. So The Smashing Pumkins headline over someone like NIN, yet you think a band with the pedigree of Soundgarden would not? Is that what you believe? The Billy Corgan and his dummer carry more weight than Chris Cornell and the band that began grunge music after 11 years apart? A band that has already joint headlined Reading before?

I believe Soundgarden to have no bigger fanbase than NIN. That is my opinion. It doesn't matter whether they've headlined or not before. The Charlatans did it in 1999; then played 4th from top in 2005. Soundgarden are not at the forefront of todays music and I feel that bands like Smashing Pumpkins are more well known than Soundgarden.
Edited by worm

No, but they are at the foreront of alternative rock. Quite at the very top. And that is the fan base we're talking about. Smashing Pumpkins have no where near the pedigree. Though NIN have a panthion of subsequent work and pedigree, they did not have the pulling power of a return. And The Charlatans are from another genre, so not comparible. Add to this Chris Cornell's recent publicity as an international (though I hate to say it) rock-pop artist and his collaboration with RATM (also headliners) and you've got a definite headliner.

Smashing Pumpkins were better know by children. Children are impressionable. A nod to NME and MTV2 and you'll generate the following, especially with all of the aforementioned kudos to play with.

Exactly; Smashing Pumpkins are better know by children. NME & MTV2 is what makes these bands big in today's culture; you'll not find Soundgarden on these. I have previously stated that I believe Soundgarden to be a worthy headliner; they're a very good, talented, influential band - but they're just not as popular as someone like Kings of Leon. If they reformed I also doubt they'd curate the same amount of hype as Rage etc...
Edited by worm

• 4 weeks later...

On the current topic...

If Soundgarden reformed, I would expect them to be put in as Sunday headliner or second down on the bill.

They were better than Smashing Pumpkins, but not as well known...but Melvin Benn knows what's what...hence putting Pearl Jam as weekend headliner - which is exactly where they should've been. And I think he'd do the same with Chris Cornell, Kim Thayill, Ben Shepard and Matt Cameron.

Oh, and MTV2 is a shite channel these days...

On the current topic...

If Soundgarden reformed, I would expect them to be put in as Sunday headliner or second down on the bill.

They were better than Smashing Pumpkins, but not as well known...but Melvin Benn knows what's what...hence putting Pearl Jam as weekend headliner - which is exactly where they should've been. And I think he'd do the same with Chris Cornell, Kim Thayill, Ben Shepard and Matt Cameron.

Oh, and MTV2 is a shite channel these days...