The Cure

Guest twenty_foot_chickens

"That doesn't imply that I thought they wouldn't do a 90 mins or less set. Just that they'd want to play for longer.

I'm starting to think I might be really out of touch with the festival demographic. Makes me feel old."

What you said implies that you thought they would play if they got only an hour set. Which isn't the case. And so obviously they don't want to play longer; they'll take what their offered (money speaks volumes - doesn't it?)

How come you think you're really out of touch with the festival demographic? Because The Cure aren't headliners anymore? Or, are you having a dig at me?

NME Awards Tour: Glasvegas, Friendly Fires, White Lies, Florence & the Machine - dates on NME - safe to say that Glasvegas will headline NME tent next year; with Friendly Fires high up. Poor line-up; Friendly Fires the only good one.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really cant sense them playing to be honest, though if they did play there would be a good chance id go back to leeds...especially if you throw in rammstein.

I think its almost impossible that they'd play the nme tent though being realistic, just because manics did so

comparing them to the manics is sort of comparing Led Zeppelin to Soundgarden

no-one would argue that led zeppelin would headline the main stage right ? when was there last number 1 album ?

That wasn't intended as having a go at you, sorry if it came across that way. In my eyes The Cure are headline worthy, but opinion on this board says otherwise, which usually tends to be in favour of the older bands (Manics, Ash etc). Which would indicate that I'm falling outside of the demographic. For example, I've only ever heard anything by Friendly Fires from that line up, when in previous years (up to about 06) I'd have been at least a fan of 2 or 3 of the bands.

Money does speak volumes, I'm not even going to start on that after the RATM thing last year. I still think what I wrote claimed that giving them an hour would make them less likely, not completely unlikely. Giving them 2 hours would make them more likely. They like playing longer sets, but will play shorter sets. Plus, I still think they're too big for the NME tent. Popular opinion claims otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
Once upon a time yes. You are obviously a fan of the band so are bound to be biased, I have no opinion on their music so am completely objective and can honestly say there is a lot more chance of them headlining the NME stage than the main stage. And Razorlight played of the back of a number one single and album, something the Cure haven't had in years. You're right about them being more likely to be at Lattitude though.

Looking at the crowd the last few years it seems that at the age of 24 i'm one of the 'older' people who attend the festival.

I think i'm probably too young to have 'got' The Cure when they were around and i haven't been tempted into familiarising myself with their work.I know of them and the fact that they were quite seminal but they don't interest me.

I can't see them appealing to the younger crowd who attend the festival much like the lack luster turn out for Smashing Pumpkins afew years back,also Nine Inch Nails never had a large audience to perform to and i would say they are far more relevant these days than either Pumpkins/Cure.

So my point was i don't see The Cure as a 'draw' and not a very likely choice off mainstage headliner.

Looking at the crowd the last few years it seems that at the age of 24 i'm one of the 'older' people who attend the festival.

I think i'm probably too young to have 'got' The Cure when they were around and i haven't been tempted into familiarising myself with their work.I know of them and the fact that they were quite seminal but they don't interest me.

I can't see them appealing to the younger crowd who attend the festival much like the lack luster turn out for Smashing Pumpkins afew years back,also Nine Inch Nails never had a large audience to perform to and i would say they are far more relevant these days than either Pumpkins/Cure.

So my point was i don't see The Cure as a 'draw' and not a very likely choice off mainstage headliner.

Exactly. The majority of Reading goers attend regardless of headliners. And the majority of punters are in the 16-24 area. It'd be a shit business decision to book a (albeit excellent) band that the customers hardly know.
Edited by worm