Sziget 2009

Guest guitarbaz

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the karaoke bar - sounds like a good place to try to meet up one sunny afternoon :P Time seems to go out the window on that island, so we’ll probably just keep our ears open for english voices, and shout out efestivals now and again!

Ah yes, the karaoke bar - sounds like a good place to try to meet up one sunny afternoon :D Time seems to go out the window on that island, so we’ll probably just keep our ears open for english voices, and shout out efestivals now and again!

that is more than likely the one - it was also next to the bucket cocktails. And more or less opposite the internet tent. (not sure if layout will be same this year!!

I am getting very excited now - less than 7 weeks till I fly!!!

The stage times are up now:

http://sziget.hu/festival/programs

I'm a bit sad to see that Lily Allen is up against Calexico because - I think she'll be fun, but it has to be Calexico for me.

Squarepusher in the WAN2 on the last night makes me happy :O

Not so impressed with the dance tents this year though - anyone got recommendations?

Dance Arena looks WEAK!

Will be seeing Grooverider n Dillinja definitely and Eric Prydz . Will def be avoiding Paul Oakenfold , i cant believe they booked him , he's admitted in an interview he doesnt really care about djing and he'd rather get paid a fortune to do film scores etc.

We have a couple days either side of festival i think , does anyone have any recomendatios of a place to stay? We havnt booked anything yet n its getting closer n closer

Edited by MiniMarc

Dance Arena looks WEAK!

Will be seeing Grooverider n Dillinja definitely and Eric Prydz . Will def be avoiding Paul Oakenfold , i cant believe they booked him , he's admitted in an interview he doesnt really care about djing and he'd rather get paid a fortune to do film scores etc.

We have a couple days either side of festival i think , does anyone have any recomendatios of a place to stay? We havnt booked anything yet n its getting closer n closer

Edited by guitarbaz

You stole my apartment? Sir, you are a cad and a bounder!

We rented through holidaylettings.co.uk and got a good deal with the guy who owns the apartment we rented. They're worth a look if you want an apartment rather than a hotel/hostel type of thing.

Edited by guitarbaz

Not so much pointers, but a few things it's handy to know - all the bars around the site are supposed to be fixed price bars so you should pay the same for your drinks where you get them from. If you find a bar charging more than the rest, buy from elsewhere.

Try the local food - the gyros are great, pretty much the same as kebabs but you can get them either on a plate or with pita bread. Also, look out for langos (pronounced lahn-gosh) which is just a heart attack waiting to happen. It's deep fried flatbread usually served hot with grated cheese, onions and sour cream on top. It's usually fried with garlic in it and rubbed with garlic as well so make sure you're not planning to kiss any strangers who might be offended by the smell! It's relatively cheap, and delicious but extremely filling.

Also when you're buying food, as in many other countries, you pay by weight rather than a price for a certain dish. There are loads of food outlets and around the mainstage area there's usually a load of them distinguished by country. Have a good wander round and try as many of them as you have room for 'cos they're all fantastic.

The only other thing I would recommend is that you look out for the daily festival guide, you'll find lots of stands giving them away but last year we had a hard time finding one in English - not so bad if all you're after is band names and times but the extra info inside is sometimes useful.

Finally, if you have a bit of spare time and you fancy a swim, head to Margaret Island and the Palatinus water park. It's open from 9am-7pm and entry is about 1900HUF including the use of a locker.

Other than that, enjoy yourself and try not to fall over me when I'm passed out drunk in the shade!

i can also recommend the jack daniels bar. good food from the barbie there too :lol:

the tribute bands tent was also quite amusing if there's nowt else on at any particular time, a hungarian joe cocker was particularly funny!

beer is cheap (now there's a novelty) and they do sell a weaker beer which is good for avoiding getting too battered whilst still being able to have a cold beer in the hot afternoon sun.

it's just a great chilled out festival all in all really.

and if you fancy an efest meet there's a nice covered bar behind the main stage area, sponsored by arany azoc beer. always well staffed and very friendly. we'll be there mid afternoon most days for a livener!

As Sionell mentioned, the Szecheyni baths are essential. There's no better way to recover from a heavy night of shape throwing that a soak in the hot pools. This will be my 4th trip to Budapest and I can honestly say that I never get tired of the Szecheyni baths.

Budapest is a lovely city, the very center is pretty touristy now and prices have shot and IMO quality down (as you'd expect for a tourist trap). Still you don't have to travel far away from the middle to get into the nicer more local areas where prices are very reasonable and you'll get a much nicer experience overall.

Went with District V right opposite the museum. The site says theres a bus that stops at madach square which isnt far from us that goes to buda bridgehead and then another bus from there to the festival. Anyone got this bus before? Any idea how frequent/packed it is? Any alternative routes using public transport to the festival from where we are?

Also as Glasto reduced me to a pool of immobile sweat I think I need to prepare better for heat this time around. Any advice on what to bring to keep cool? Any where in the festival that is recommended for chilling in the day time? I assume the nights are pretty warm as well yeh? Thanks for any info people have. I'm already starting to get excited for this.

Edited by snipe

is it very hard to get fro the airport to the festival?

are there shuttle buses that run regularly?

and sre they really that strict on bringing booze into the campsite area?

cheers baz.

been to budapest before and used the trams but didnt pay for any and on our 2nd last day got caught and had to pay a canny fine. was well gutted :lol:

learnt me lesson like!

is the festival on the island with the waterpark on or am i getting mixed up?

cheers baz.

been to budapest before and used the trams but didnt pay for any and on our 2nd last day got caught and had to pay a canny fine. was well gutted :)

learnt me lesson like!

is the festival on the island with the waterpark on or am i getting mixed up?

we are going to be getting there on tuesday afternoon i think. is there any decent shady spots left by then or is all the good places taken?

i reckon theres going to be a few bottles of spirits sneaked in me sleeping bag!!

plus that waterpark on the next island is mint, last time we went there it was full of sexy ladies. none of them could understand i word i said but i tried me heart out! :D