Sziget 2009

Guest guitarbaz

Sorry Mullin, just spotted that the 11th is Zero day and Day -1 on the 10th. Looks like we're going to be late this year then as we're coming up through Transylvania! Still can't find anything about the Zero day band - anyone heard any rumours?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to Sziget this year! Although I’m still amazed that Lilly Allen is headlining! Yeah she’s got quite big this year ... but headlining!?

Bit of a weird question, but can anyone remember what the Hungarian name for red wine and cola is? I remember drinking the stuff by the gallon load last time but can’t remember for the life of me what the Hungarian slang name for it is.

It’s called a calimocho in Spain, but I’m sure it was something different in Sziget.

Anyway, who are people looking forward to most? For me it’s Prodigy, saw them last at Chelmsford in 97. Really like the new album so I’m hoping for a top performance.

It's VBC pronounced VeeeeBeeeeeTse... or Vörös Bór es kola.

I was really looking forward to GWAR, but it looks like they've cancelled. Gits! Other than that, Primal Scream and Pendulum are my next hot picks followed by Prodigy.

Edited by TristUK

I’ve just found some more info about Day Zero – it starting to look like it will be some kind of Rock Against Racism shindig. Franz Ferdinand, the Libertines and The Good, The Bad & The Queen are reported on Szigetnews. That would make a pretty solid line-up for this year and I might have to change my travel plans! I’m not sure about the Libertines though… would they really schedule a massive reunion gig in Hungary?? Hmmm.

I’ve just found some more info about Day Zero – it starting to look like it will be some kind of Rock Against Racism shindig. Franz Ferdinand, the Libertines and The Good, The Bad & The Queen are reported on Szigetnews. That would make a pretty solid line-up for this year and I might have to change my travel plans! I’m not sure about the Libertines though… would they really schedule a massive reunion gig in Hungary?? Hmmm.

i'd have thought that day zero would still be worth the trip up to the island, it was good last year and was totally rammed. there were only a couple of acts from what i remember tho, maiden and steve harris' daughter. be a bonus if there were a few more on tho.

it's only about 8 weeks away now, man the time has flown! best get saving some beer money...

We went on Day Zero last year specifically because we wanted to see Maiden...even though two of our group managed to sleep through the entire performance! I'm sure we'll find something to amuse ourselves with that day, I'd like to head to the island and have a wander round but I might end up having to bully the others into coming along for the ride.

Hello all,

Few questions:

We arrive in Budapest at 11pm on the Tuesday night. So it is going to be dark and probably difficult to pitch a tent or find a good spot, so would it be best to just go in to festy grounds and have a few beers until it gets light and then look for camping specs or just get on the hunt straight away?

Also as we get there 2 days in do you think there will be many prime shadey spots left? I'm thinking no, but it looks a large site with a plentiful amount of trees?

Also you can take beer into the festival I take it? Like from supermarkets and take it to your tents?

Many pikey thieves about?

I've also heard that people from diff countries seem to stick together in the camping fields, is that true? If so where are the UK people camping?

And lastly can you take flares in (candle on a stick type things)? Or is a torch only kind of place?

Cheers if you can help...

Hey Default_Route, personally i would say:

Probably better to book a cheap hostel in advance, have a warm shower and be at the gates by 8am (the queues don’t start until 9, and the showers on site aren’t always warm!)

It depends how many people/tents you have. We usually get there quite early to reserve a space in the shade, but because of the financial situation ‘we’ are only 3 this year, and there's always room for a couple of tents anywhere – Sziget doesn’t seem to over-sell like UK festivals.

Security will take away any beer/liquids that they find, and they do search. It’s not much of a search though, so you can smuggle small amounts wrapped in sleeping bags etc. To be honest though beer on site is cheapish and cold, so it’s not all that worth it.

There’s no pikeys, but Hungary is a poor country still recovering from communism. I relaxed a bit too much during my first 2 years then got my MP3 player stolen from my tent last year during Iron Maiden ^_^ They left my passport though, so as long as you keep financially valuable stuff with you it’s all good – there are also free safety boxes to put stuff in if you can be arsed.

There are always English groups scattered around, but never in one particular place - there aren’t numbered campsites or owt anyway. I have mainly met mainly French, Dutch, Irish & German people there... and Hungarian of course. Personally i think that the minority of drunk english sets it apart from most other festivals – there is very little aggression and the atmosphere is chilled.

Fire isn’t allowed, but it is a very loose rule (we kept a big campfire going almost every night last year, and it only got stamped out by security twice – but even then they weren’t that bothered!)

Hope that helps - anyone for an Efestival meet-up??

Hey Pipsim,

Ta for all the info, much appreciated.

So the campsite isnt split into named sections or areas?

We are a 3 as well, everyone else is off to Glasto, decided against it this year for Sziget instead. Went to Lowlands in Holland a few years back but that was like V and not the greatest to be honest, hoping Sziget has more of the Glasto vibe!!

Would defo be up for a meet, be nice to meet some fellow Brits over there, we are from North Wales...

Bit crap you cant stock up the tents with booze, but if its cheap on site then that will have to do! Any other pointers for Sziget virgins?

Cheers,

i can also recommend the jack daniels bar. good food from the barbie there too <_<

the tribute bands tent was also quite amusing if there's nowt else on at any particular time, a hungarian joe cocker was particularly funny!

beer is cheap (now there's a novelty) and they do sell a weaker beer which is good for avoiding getting too battered whilst still being able to have a cold beer in the hot afternoon sun.

it's just a great chilled out festival all in all really.

and if you fancy an efest meet there's a nice covered bar behind the main stage area, sponsored by arany azoc beer. always well staffed and very friendly. we'll be there mid afternoon most days for a livener!