Sziget 2009

Guest guitarbaz

Any sniff of a rumour as to when it's going to be next year??

I've been having a trawl about but can't find anything yet.

We had such an amazing time this year we're def going again next time, and will probably bring a few more along with us.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the dates for next year are:

Zero day - 11th Aug

festival - 12th - 16th

Dont hold me to that as I only read that on a forum, but its around the same sort of time it was this year.

Better than Benni then?

Depending on how things are going I could be looking at a Euro fest as well as Latitude!

Alternatively, I could be blowing it all on a trip to Mount Fuji in Japan :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
I heard that the dates for next year are:

Zero day - 11th Aug

festival - 12th - 16th

Dont hold me to that as I only read that on a forum, but its around the same sort of time it was this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Peoples!

Pretty much been to a few different europena fests, love em all becuase they have such a different feel to English ones. I am going to Sziget this year as it falls with when I would have finished uni, moved to a new place and have a job!

I was hoping you lot who have been could tell me a bit about the fest?! It's three days, right? But it has like 6 days camping?

Also, has anyone got a Euro train ticket pass and just gone off to various countries? (We plan Berline, Prague, Slovakia or Croatia just for a laugh) If so where you get the tix from?

Cheers,

(oh any idea who will play? -Long shot I know)

Marc

Hello Peoples!

Pretty much been to a few different europena fests, love em all becuase they have such a different feel to English ones. I am going to Sziget this year as it falls with when I would have finished uni, moved to a new place and have a job!

I was hoping you lot who have been could tell me a bit about the fest?! It's three days, right? But it has like 6 days camping?

Also, has anyone got a Euro train ticket pass and just gone off to various countries? (We plan Berline, Prague, Slovakia or Croatia just for a laugh) If so where you get the tix from?

Cheers,

Marc

Edited by davidd

Hello Peoples!

Cheers,

Marc

• 1 month later...
Sziget is considered to have the best atmosphere of all European festivals since people from all over Europe and even Asia come to the fest. There are about 50 stages and 1000 acts including round about 400 bands and about 600 operas, theatres etc.

The festival usually begins with the Zero Day, where just a huge headliner plays (2008: Iron Maiden). The last years the festival was seven days plus the Zero Day (crazy, huh?), but in 2008 it was shortened to "just" 5 days plus Zero Day plus Minus One Day (where only Hungarian bands were playing).

You an enter the city-centered island, where the festival takes place two days before Zero Day, so the longest time you can stay on the festival ground is about 8 days.

The atmosphere is really hard to describe, you just have to experience it on your own.

And don't care about the line up (no band announced so far), if there is one festival out there at which the line up is pretty regardless, it's definitely Sziget! I couldn't think of that as well before I first went to the festival in 2008, because I thought the line up was quite weak, compared to the other years. But my opinion changed as I entered the island - IT'S f**kING AWESOME!

I have decided I really want to go now, wish they would hurry up and announce the line up. Esp as I dont speak Hungarian so cant join in any of the chat on the forums and read the rumours.

I have been looking into train passes for E Europe, I can find one that covers Poland, Hungary etc but only seem to be able to get it from an Australian travel agent, only ones for for Europeans are for all of Europe and are about 3X the price.

Am thinking about just coming over and booking trains on the day, is it usually cheap to book trains in advance in E Europe rather than turning up at a train station?

I might take a chance on the pass from Australia as it works out a really good deal.

Edited by ronaldo

I have decided I really want to go now, wish they would hurry up and announce the line up. Esp as I dont speak Hungarian so cant join in any of the chat on the forums and read the rumours.

I have been looking into train passes for E Europe, I can find one that covers Poland, Hungary etc but only seem to be able to get it from an Australian travel agent, only ones for for Europeans are for all of Europe and are about 3X the price.

Am thinking about just coming over and booking trains on the day, is it usually cheap to book trains in advance in E Europe rather than turning up at a train station?

I might take a chance on the pass from Australia as it works out a really good deal.

Edited by radio

Hey i might be intrested to going to Sziget this year, just a few questions...

- The fest is advertsied at 12th-17th August, so is the 12th the day you can get there and 17th the day you leave? (NVM JUST SEEN FAQ OF WEBSITE FOR THIS ONE)

- What's the cheapest way to get there?

- How easy is the festival to get to from Budapest? (And why haven't Ryanair released their flight info yet? :lol:)

- When is lineup normally released?

- What are food/drink prices like inside the festy?

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by radioshed

Hey i might be intrested to going to Sziget this year, just a few questions...

- The fest is advertsied at 12th-17th August, so is the 12th the day you can get there and 17th the day you leave? (NVM JUST SEEN FAQ OF WEBSITE FOR THIS ONE)

- What's the cheapest way to get there?

- How easy is the festival to get to from Budapest? (And why haven't Ryanair released their flight info yet? :D)

- When is lineup normally released?

- What are food/drink prices like inside the festy?

Thanks for all your help!

- fly to budapest by ryan air/ jet 2 or whatever.

- about 40 minutes by boat or on the tram/ train.

-soonish hopefully

- not so cheap....comparable to UK festival prices i.e. 5 or 6 pounds for a meal. but the watermelon and the corn on the cob is cheap, so i reccommend living of these <_<