History of rioting at Leeds?

Guest VCK

Just for all those who are a bit nervous/worried

It wasnt that bad last year. I was camped in the Yellow Bubble and yes there were a few large fires on the site but they were monitored by security who were actually getting along with the people there and talking to us. They did have a fire extinguisher and doused the flames if it got stupidly big.

I went for a walk around the camps to gauge the mood of the camps. The only one I had a bad vibe at was the Blue Valley site where all the idiots had gathered. Most of the Gazebos from the other sites ended there on the big tree fire. Green Campsite was much quieter than the others so If you are wanting to try and sleep that is probably your best bet.... Though a long way from the arena!!

Also in terms of food... I just take fruit bars (go ahead)/polony/pot noodle(get one of the food stands to fill you up for free-50p...) Thought the food is getting nicer and larger portions so I usually treat myself to an oriental feast on one of the nights.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done the last 10 Leeds and V (as it was ) , forgetting all the Temple stuff , I see it like this.

It is mainly a small group of young lads with a bit too much enerqy you could remove the problem

with two fixes.

No camera phones !

They all pull !

Since the introduction of the camp site sound systems a lot of the issues have been reduced , but

like the last day of school , you are gonna get a bit of messing about , but with fires , its not right

but it happens.

I got up close last year and its just kids chucking stuff on a fire and filiming it !

The thing is , I know the exact spot it will be this year.

If you are worried just make sure you camp well away from the area between the arena and the

fairground.

I camp in Brown and its very quiet there,

:D

• 2 weeks later...

am not going this year as me and my mates are going to Sziget in Budapest but i fing it hard to beleive that Leeds are banning Gas canisters for stove usage.

if anyone does take small canisters and they get took off them then i think its stupid, if its only a small canister then its hardly going to set off riots again if its put on a fire is it??

am not going this year as me and my mates are going to Sziget in Budapest but i fing it hard to beleive that Leeds are banning Gas canisters for stove usage.

if anyone does take small canisters and they get took off them then i think its stupid, if its only a small canister then its hardly going to set off riots again if its put on a fire is it??

It's not about riots, it's about idiots throwing them on fires, then the metal canisters exploding into shrapnel which then flies randomly around, potentially causing severe damage to whoever or whatever it hits. You may want to use them for cooking, but there are dimwits who will blow them up, and it's more than possible that if they see you cooking with one, they will steal it to blow up as well. So, to cut down on this risk, the festival have put a blanket ban on gas canisters. There are alternative methods of cooking so it's not like you're not allowed to make your own food onsite, you just can't use a gas stove.

• 1 month later...
In 2005 it all escalated because the event security had no clue about how to handle themselves. All started with a small group of people grouped around a small fire in a trash can paying drums etc. the security got a little rough getting the crowds to disperse and the disruptive element took it as a cue to set off trying to tip telegraph poles, looting of the refridgerated lorries and unbelievable trying to push a lorry into the now grown fire - we were sat at the top of the bank with a few beers watching the chaos in disbelief.

Hopefully, event security has now been taught how to control the crowds rather than set them off.

I think the majority of tent raids happened when people were in them asleep. That way the thiefs know that the valuables will be in there. I have never been a victim, nor have any of my mates, of these robbing scumbags. Touch wood.

Best advice, as already said, keep all your valuable on you when in the arena. Put all valuables in the bottom of your sleeping bag when you are in asleep. The latter rule is quite hard to remember if you get drunk. I always seem to wake up with my shorts just lying around in my tent which contains my wallet and phone! Never remember to put it all in the bottom of my sleeping bag.