Rock am Ring 2009

Guest Squig

RaR has always had "poppy" headliners. REM and Depeche Mode come to mind in recent years. Coldplay would absolutely fit in there plus they're huge in Germany.

And there just aren't that many classic rock acts: AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, Kiss, Metallica, Oasis, Guns N' Roses. The list is relatively short. Oasis are not available due to a gig in England at the time of RaR. I'm sure the organisers are doing everything they can to get AC/DC but I doubt they'll play at RaR. While festivals are relatively cheap in Germany, prices for stadium shows are ridiculously high, which makes these very attractive for stadium acts.

The organisers also said, they don't want RaR to become like a "dinosaur" festival. Therefore I'd basically rule Aerosmith, Kiss and Iron Maiden out. They're also not that huge crowd pullers in Germany. You can't have Metallica every year. I was already bored by them last year. Three RaR gigs in six years. James and Lars, take a RaR break please.

Coldplay, Green Day, The Killers are likely to play RaR from my point of view. I don't know what plans Guns N' Roses, Linkin Park and Pearl Jam have for 09. NIN could be an option, however every time Trent played at a German festivals he said how much he disliked it and that he'd never do it again.

I expect Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Alice in Chains, Placebo and Kings Of Leon as well. Maybe Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys and Stone Temple Pilots. They could make a grunge revival day with Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. :D

Korn haven't been there for one year, which is a lot in Korn at RaR terms. They're definitely possible.

Machine Head are headlining Wacken Open Air 09 so I don't think they'll play RaR.

If the rumours are true that The Libertines will reunite in 09 they're definitely an act that RaR would like to have at the festival.

Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Dragonforce, Mastodon, Funeral for a Friend, Soulfly, Enter Shikari, Anthrax with a new singer to bring the metal to RaR. Maybe Slayer again. If there are any other hot shit metal bands, they're always an option. ;)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully theyl pull a rabbit out of the hat....again with Coldplay & Killers, 1 will do 2 will ruin it! Have any other festivals around Europe released any Headliners yet apart from Nova Rock which is Die Toten Hosen and Placebo? Maybe 'Blink182' could be a long shot for headliner as i think theyv got back together? also i hope Jane's Addiction will get a spot also

Also a big memory for me at Rock Am Ring 08 was the amount of Germans who would continually ask me 'why is the English football team SO crap?' with big grins on their faces.......OH i cant wait to return! ;)

Edited by r0w

well i can collapse mine down under its sleve to prehaps 5M, it twist locks all the way up. it might not be practical on a windy day, but maybe a calm day, in a costume a reasonable ban on the alternative stage..... i can always return it when something i don't like is on ;)

Oh i also made it on WDR during Gavin DeGraw - Chariot in my shark suit, along with Dave dressed as a banana! Gabbie made it on WDR during some disturbed song, but for a fraction of a second.

Nice. Do you have all the videos from last year? Or just Youtube?

I'd be to afraid breaking the pole if it's not a short wooden one to bring it, especially considering my usual level of drunkness at RaR and also keeping in mind that I like to mosh pit quite frequently. I occasionally brought lose flags though, I think I made ot to MTV during the Strokes at Hurricane 2006.

we release all non-universal artists that were on MTV or WDR in the weeks after. im sure one dvd should house all the RAR stuff we released, just remind me closer to the time! i will put the link to the youtube vid, once its uploaded.

Edited by JoshBosh

lmao thats mad i didnt see any of them suits, i did spot a couple of you in the tent for paramore though, wearing the shirts. It's weird me and my mate lost our other 2 mates and didnt see them ALL day on the metallica day, yet we bumped into some of the same people about 15-16 times that day lol. Weird. Wouldent have been so bad if that damn t-mobile shack had more than 2 N95 charging spaces. i dunno why i decided to take it, biggest battery drinker ever lol

You could've just dropped by at our place and charged your phone there (well, if you would have had the right charger, that is), we did have a generator running.

And I didn't see any of you in front of the stages (and I always (!) lose my mates and / or girldfriends at gigs, so I basically gave up on that).

lol yeah i should've but if it wasnt id look a dick ;).

lol shit, had my charger aswell. Next year im debating driving up just so i can take more stuff, hair straighteners, charger generator etc :D. Went cheap and cheerful this year £10 return to hahn lol payed £16 extra to take our two tents but 2 of the popup tents managed to fit into one bag so it wasnt that bad, sleeping bags etc in hand luggage it was a bit mad

Ok quickie, we had euro's and and English at our tent. we had the 3pin UK sockets, but nearly all 2 pin plugs can fit into them, you just need to depress the earth with a key or something (we actually use a uk plug upside down to depress it! i ended up being a f**king legend with that little trick, saved people having to charge their phone elsewhere.

I really am considering buying a cheap ex-police volvo just for the drive to germany, it would be an estate, and faster than a van... cheaper too! i need to go to the shed and try and start the generator, its been sitting idle since RAR ended.

Don't wanna be the party pooper, but those 1000s of Beni threads annoy me. Can't they do it orderly? There were like 8 threads only dedicated to beni between this thread and the top of the page (so this is a serious bump!)

Having written that, it is time for some bands. I hope for the best (ie AC DC as the head, the Killers only as Alternahead, Coldplay on Hurricane ;-) )

Don't wanna be the party pooper, but those 1000s of Beni threads annoy me. Can't they do it orderly? There were like 8 threads only dedicated to beni between this thread and the top of the page (so this is a serious bump!)

Having written that, it is time for some bands. I hope for the best (ie AC DC as the head, the Killers only as Alternahead, Coldplay on Hurricane ;-) )