Rock am Ring 2009

Guest Squig

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are all the rumours they add headliners though? Presumably some are just names on the bill? Personally, I would happily watch Placebo and Motley Crue whilst having a few beers during the day - particularly if I've got GnR/Green Day/Someonelsegreat as a headliner.
Edited by r0w

Beatsteaks would be Alternahead I think, but I don't live in Germany anymore, so I may be wrong. didn't predict them headlining Hurricane last year neither (even though Radiohead would not be headliner on the main stage at Rock am Ring I think).

Don't really need placebo, I do like their albums but live they just suck. Coldplay I wouldn't mind, even though I don't think they fit RaR that well.

I hope for: AC / DC, Pearl Jam and Rammstein as headliners. That would be awesome (a bit unrealistic, but cool ^^).

Beatsteaks would be Alternahead I think, but I don't live in Germany anymore, so I may be wrong. didn't predict them headlining Hurricane last year neither (even though Radiohead would not be headliner on the main stage at Rock am Ring I think).

Don't really need placebo, I do like their albums but live they just suck. Coldplay I wouldn't mind, even though I don't think they fit RaR that well.

I hope for: AC / DC, Pearl Jam and Rammstein as headliners. That would be awesome (a bit unrealistic, but cool ^^).

My guesses would be Coldplay, Rammstein and The Killers or Green Day as the three main stage headliners.

Mmm....the other German guy on this forum seemed to think 'The Killers' wernt big enough to headline RaR?? now im worried again....please dont let it be!

And to the 'English Goalkeeper' situation.....we have David James who i highly rate however he will be approaching 40 come the World Cup in 2010....but it looks like Arsenal's Manuel Almunia may be getting an English passport as hes lived here for 5 years now so that may help us out....but yes England's 2 main downfalls in the last 30 years....Dodgy Goalkeepers and Penalty Shootouts! tho i have to say the German goalkeeper (Adler) also looked pretty hopeless lastnite :ph34r:

Apu is in general better informed than me. And the killers not being big enough was a bit wishful thinking as well too be honest, they may not be this year but they are also getting bigger for sure.

I won't comment on the football. Don't care for Germany anyways, hannover 96 all the way!

Actually I'd like getting Coldplay and the Killers as headliners. Means better bands on the other two stages and watching a bit if their show from far away. The main stage sucks to get to and from, ith those two on I could avoid that.

Plus Hurricane also needs some headliners out of the June pool, and I am sure they'd love to get either band.

Rammstein posted a message on their website stating they're working on their next album. They're planning to release it in autumn of 2009 and start touring somewhere around that time. This basically rules Rammstein out for RaR 09.

The list of possible and somewhat fitting headlining bands is getting shorter.

I still think Coldplay are most likely one of the headliners. Awful band if you ask me but unfortunately they're bloody successful with what they're doing.

The other two, I have no idea, could be anyone. Pearl Jam played RaR last in 2000 (brilliant gig) but I have my doubts they're available. GnR? Who knows what's going on in Axl's band right now. Usually I would have thought a tour announcement would follow the release of the album. On the other hand, what's normal in GnR? Green Day? They're due to release a new album and a tour's looking likely. NIN? Surprisingly they've never played RaR, so they could be an option. I doubt they'd headline though. Maybe second stage headliner or cohead on the mainstage. The Killers? Andre Lieberberg (the booker) highly praised the band in an interview after RaR 08 and I'm sure they'll tour with their new album. They're not that huge in Germany but lately the band has headlined every festival in Europe so it could be that they'll only play if they're offered a headlining slot. I like them so I could live with them headlining one night.

I still think Beatsteaks will either pause or play some select gigs in 09 but not at RaR.

Linkin Park, REM, Iron Maiden, KISS? I don't know what they're doing in 09.

Talking about the traditional Hard Rock/Metal headliner, for the european festivals this year will be hard to get decent headliners. Not many massive bands will be touring, or they'll do their own gigs. Two choices could be Aerosmith and Kiss. Both bands are planning to tour Europe this summer.

For the list above, none of them will make me travel to RaR this year.

¿Any idea of when the first announcement will be? Last year was on December 6th.

Kiss and Aerosmith would be weird in that they don't draw that many people in Germany I think (look at the Smashing Pumpkins last year).

We'll see. I actually wouldn't mind smaller headliners as Hurricane had in 06. That was still a very decent festival.

And still think Lieberberg is gonna do everything they can to get AC DC. Wishful thinking (as Pinkpop's Jan Smeets ruled them out because of the same reason they are unlikely to play at RaR: Gigs in stadiums), but they have been on the wish list for so long and they said they'd play European festivals (even though they only named Scandinavia and England), so I have my fingers crossed.

Listening to the new Kilers album... I just don't like that band, I'd rather have Coldplay to be honest.

I wish people would stop saying Coldplay.

I cant see them going down in RaR, they are more pop then rock when compared to Rage & Metallica last year. I can see the whole crowd just standing still and not moving during their set, thats not a rock festival man.

You need a headliner with balls to get the crowd going mental like Rage last year. Still there is nothing confirmed yet.