Rock am Ring 2009

Guest Squig

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is quite hilly, and if I remember correctly to the left of the stage it was fairly steep. Not a good position for a gate (plus, you could leave on the left anyways but it wasn't a big gate or something).

We'll see. When it comes to organization Hurricane and Wacken set the trigger quite high for German festivals, I think its is likely that RaR has to react on that.

I reckon i'l be making it a hat trick of rock am rings for me.

Did anyone camp at the fot of the MASSIVE hill?Section B i think?

I had so many people come up to me and chat because I had a Celtic top on the whole time, Id bet someone on here spoke to me haha.

RaR was amazing, far too many barriers to get to the front. I ended up in the middle for rage but got right to the front left pit for Metallica, some of the pits were pretty ace!

The hill was a BEAST, walking up it everyday, hungover - was pretty bad. Not only that hill but then there was another hill to go up that wasn't as vertical but still a beast. Only good thing bout that was a good walk downhill on the way back to the campsite.

Beast hill was also a nightmare on the Monday when you had to hike up it with all your stuff, definately not camping at the bottom of it this year!

They may change the parking and camping situation so I won't give any specifice details yet but as a general rule you'll get a parking lot assigned that will be close to a camping spot where they have enough space for you so walking forth and back won't be a problem.

A problem could be that the camping sides are quite spread out due to the hilly and foresty nature (which makes a great scenery though) of the Eifel region. Until 2006 on wednesday night you'd get a decent spot within walking distance to the main entrance, but last year that was harder already and, if that development continues, may be impoosible this time. They do have a good shuttle bus system though who get you from the campings that are further away to the stages, of course going to your tent in when an act is on you don't want to see will take much more time.

If that is really important for you you should aim at another festival, Hurricane for example last year was excellent, also at Rock im Park everything is, while having the same line up as RaR, much denser (but also stricter rules: No glas bottles, camping onl from thursday on...)

We'll see once the maps are online, but that will be some time in May, so nothing to plan so far. And plenty of time.

This may be of interest. According to Ringrocker.com are

AC / DC, The Killers, Guns 'n' Roses, Kings of Leon, Shinedown and Ich bin bunt (who announced themselves they would play, personally never heard of them)

rumored and

Fräulein Wunder, Oasis and Depeche Mode ex-rumors (as in they won't play).

They are quite reliable as they have connections to MLK (that's the organizing company). At this point of time though these bands are the ones MLK mentioned in interviews (AC / DC and The Killers for example) or which anounced they'd do festivals in Europe (AC / DC as well).

Kings of Leon and the Killers are significantly smaller in Germany than in the UK, unless they overstretch their budget with AC / DC and have to find a 'cheaper' international headliner (the Germans are usually cheaper as well, DTH don't cost nearly as much as 'Tallica or RATM) neither bands would be bigger than alternahead (which is quite something still, just look at last year's line up). Dunno how much € those bands would want at a German festival though.

About AC/DC: What really speaks against them is that they have a massive German tour planned with gigs close to RaR and RiP and said they wouldn't play pinkpop because they planned gigs in Holland already and want them to sell out. I have my fingers crossed, though.

Edited by Squig

The hill was a BEAST, walking up it everyday, hungover - was pretty bad. Not only that hill but then there was another hill to go up that wasn't as vertical but still a beast. Only good thing bout that was a good walk downhill on the way back to the campsite.

Beast hill was also a nightmare on the Monday when you had to hike up it with all your stuff, definately not camping at the bottom of it this year!

Oh god, that hill was evil!

I camped down the end of it in C6a in 2007, and walking up it every morning was pure torture... and walking down it in the dark at the end of the night through the trees wasn't much fun either!

I swore i wouldn't camp there again in 2008 but where did I end up?

eh... C6b... ahem