Tent raiders

Guest Derby_Dave

Is tent raiding still a major problem. Obviously you keep your money etc on your person at all times. Did any one have any problems with there tent being raided last year?

I learned the hard way in '93 when my wallet was removed from my tent with all my cards and money on the first night. I still would like to get hold of the tyke that did it lol.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is tent raiding still a major problem. Obviously you keep your money etc on your person at all times. Did any one have any problems with there tent being raided last year?

I learned the hard way in '93 when my wallet was removed from my tent with all my cards and money on the first night. I still would like to get hold of the tyke that did it lol.

I think there were quite a few incidents at quite a few festivals last year - it would seem that some scumbags took advatage of the ease of getting tickets to a number of festivals to go on the rob. Hopefully the b*st*rds won't do that again, but I think the free lockups are the way forward, along with not getting so monged that you can't hear a stranger opening your tent in the night!!

One option is to clip the zips together with a carabina or something similar (easily undoable in case you need to get out in a hurry) when you're in the tent.

When you're not in the tent just take anything valuable with you. Lockups are always a good idea too.

i went to latitude with major paranoia and used my put my holdall at the top of the tent b4 placing my pillow incase my tent got slashed!

i carried money, id, keys and phone in a moneybelt and had my cam on the wrist at all times. nothing happened to me or my mates or my local 'neighbours'.

i even kept my wellies inside the tent rather than the porch as i was scared they'd get nicked! i did have spare shoes but still.

I have heard that it happens but never had anything taken at a festival neither have any of my mates.

To be on the safe side I split my money some in my pocket, some in my day sack (those gym bag hings that close and tighten when you but the straps over your shoulders) and money dotted around the tent. That way not going to lose it all.

I must admit I go for the messy tent defense. It would take so long to find anything lol. I also get to know everyone camped around me and tell them to keep an eye out and point out who should be going in my tent. Have always found everyone willing to keep an eye out if I do for them.

It did happen to me this year, I heard him come in though cos I'm a really light sleeper, and him what the f**k he was doing and he just said "Sorry wrong tent" and went. Don't belive for a second he had the wrong tent, I mean you'd be a lot more apologetic if you'd done that by accident at 4am wouldn't you?

Didn't bother me too much, we go for the messy tent idea too (probably not by design though :) ), and the only valuable things I have I keep in my pillow case under my head!

There's been scumbags targeting festivals for years, it's nothing new. But the chance of it being you that's hit is pretty small.

It's down to pure bad luck if you turn out to be the victim - in 25 years of festivalling and hundreds and hundreds of festivals attended I've never once been hit, so it's not like it's the common experience of everyone. Those that are robbed tend to understandably make a lot of noise about it, so the prominence of robbing stories doesn't reflect the reality.

In the last few years the 'organised' robbers (who are attending fests only to rob, and have bought tickets) have only been interested in things that are untracable as stolen if they get caught, which mostly means money. And because people have the most money on the first night, that's when they do most of their robbing.

There's a lot of things you can do to lessen your chances of losing out. Firstly - and obviously (tho it's amazing how few actually do it!) - stash your money somewhere where it cannot be seen and where it's inaccessible; in your sleeping bag (not at the bottom) is probably the best bet.

But it's better not to be robbed in the first place. Locking your tent probably isn't a great idea because it will make people think there's something of value inside. Far better is to put bells (ones that make a lot of noise - festivals have a lot of background noise) on the inside of the tent on the zips, so that there's an audible warning for both you AND the robber of someone trying to get into the tent..... it would be a very stupid robber who carried on into the tent after setting off the bells as an alarm.

There are cash machines on site too. Not a bad idea to use them.

It is also important not to get too paranoid about this, as it will ruin your experience. Take all the care you need and protect your vaulables as previuosly specified, but dont let it ruin your festival, getting robbed is not the end of the world if you are careful with your stuff.

It is also important not to get too paranoid about this, as it will ruin your experience. Take all the care you need and protect your vaulables as previuosly specified, but dont let it ruin your festival, getting robbed is not the end of the world if you are careful with your stuff.

It was my first time at Glastonbury last year and although i wasnt robbed, there were definitely people lurking. My boyfriend and i came back to our tent at about 4am Thursday morning and were stopped by one of the campsite crew who were checking we were going to our tent(!) then told us that there had been quite a few thefts near where we were camped. We just made sure we took our valuables with us (money, camera, phone, etc) but apart from that, your in the middle of a field so its not wise to take anything easily breakable anyway!! When we went to bed we tied up the zips from the inside so that wandering hands couldnt get in. Its best to make friends with the neighbours so they know who should be going in your tent. Obviously theres going to be the odd dirty **stards who slash ur tent but if ur careful you will stand a better chance :)