Super Bock Rock

Guest Uncle Liam

We were thinking of going to this festival last July but in the end we couldn't get enough time off and we ended up flying into Porto and then going down to Lisbon for Optimus 08. This year they were offering festival camping at the Prelada campsite in Porto, however, we arrived at the campsite gates the following week, hoping to camp for a couple of nights, only to find the campsite closed - not sure whether this was for good or for renovation, but, judging by the way they've been running down this campsite for some years, I'd say it's for good! There is a campsite out by the airport but we were unable to try it because you have to stay for a minumum of a week during July and August! I think there is also a campsite closer to the sea - but I'm not sure whether the same rule applies about staying for a week or whether they'll make a special arrangement for the festival.

By the way, there is also Super Bock Super Rock in Lisbon the week after - this year it was the same week as Optimus 08. We'll definitely be going to one of these festies in Portugal, if we can raise the cash - Optimus 08 was brill! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Where do you buy tickets for this?......the only tickets i see available are the 35euro ones for the Depeche Mode day? Have the weekend tckets sold out then? Its hard to find info on this festival on the net, is Depeche Mode still the only band confirmed?

Depeche Mode seem to be the only band confirmed for any festival in Portugal at the moment, in spite of the fact that we'd already bought our tickets for Optimus 08 by this time last year. That's probably why only day tickets are available at the mo.

is optimus happening this year?! i raved about it to my mates. we all want to go! but i cant find anything anywhere! or anything on the lisbon super bock! i need my festival fix, aaaah. i need to have one to aim for! oh the pressure!

im sure i had discovered stuff online this time last year. at least on festivaispt.org they had a mention. no bands, but at least a mention. this year i cant even find superbock in lisbon mentioned!

its like a treasure hunt! if we find them, it will be worth it!

im lookin for carrier pigeons and messages in bottles turning up now with festival news! :lol:

Is it just me or has the festivaispt.org site recently become a whole lot more flashy but also a whole lot less informative? Looks like there's nothing for it but to keep our eyes out for those smoke signals?!?!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I Am Portuguese so I will try to explain everything related to Portuguese Festivals in 2009. Let me start by saying there will be, at least 4 Big Festivals (but I expect two more), and they are:

- Super Bock Super Rock (Lisbon and Porto);

- Optimus Alive 2009;

- Heineken Paredes de Coura;

- Sudoeste;

These are the four festivals that take place every year, so I can say for certain they will happen. There used to be Vilar de Mouros and Festival Ilha do Ermal, and some say these two will return this year, I am yet to see.

About the bills/bands, it is true the only band confirmed is Depeche Mode for Super Bock Super Rock (Porto). I don't know what's happening this year but it seems a lot of festivals around Europe still have a pretty poor line up (ex. Download, Rock am Ring, Pinkpop). And, in my opinion, there aren't a lot of Big bands out there - I can only think of Metallica and Motorhead.

Now, about the festivals:

- Super Bock Super Rock.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect of it. It used to be a rock/hard-rock/metal festival but since 2006/2007 they also have other styles, like in 2007 it was indie, in 2008 they had mika, etc. But I think the major bet is still metal; 2007 - Metallica, 2008 - Iron Maiden and 2009 I expect Metallica again. For the Porto version of it, well, it is brand new (started last year) so i don't know what to say...

- Optimus Alive 2009.

It is mainly a rock/alt-rock fest. Last year the promoters said they already had 'confirmed' a big band, first letter 'D'. Some say Daft Punk, other David Bowie. I say Dave Matthews Band. Dave confirmed they will be in Portugal this year, my only doubt is if they will headline a festival or if it is a solo date. There are no other Bands confirmed for 2009.

The other two are in the summer, so they only start adding bands in May/June/July...

And that's it. If you have any doubts you can participate in FestivaisPT forum (back online, for good I think), in the international subforum.

Oh, AC/DC will have a EuroFest Tour, so expect them to Headline a few big festivals.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, apparently The Killers are now confirmed for Super Bock Super Rock for 18th July. Still no news on Optimus Alive! It would be nice to have just an incy hint of what (if anything!) may be on offer, so I have the incentive to start saving my pennies!!!?!

By the way, I've been thinking about this thing about the band beginning with D - and Dave Matthews sounds very likely to me as well - unless they originally approached Depeche Mode, who then decided to do Super Bock Super Rock instead!

Do the Lisbon and Porto events have the same lineup or are they different cos i noticed The Killers for Lisbon and not Porto? Also i see Metallica have the Porto weekend free in their euro tour dates which also includes no Portugal dates.....so im guessing they could be very likely?

Another thing for the Porto event i can only find day tickets? Are weekend tickets available then and is there camping?

No, the line ups aren't the same for Porto and Lisbon. If Metallica have the Porto weekend free that would be interesting - however, in previous years bands of Metallica's ilk have usually played Lisbon, which tends to be more metal orientated (that is if you ignore the fact that Duran Duran played there last year!?!? ;) Last year weekend tickets were available and camping was available in Porto at the Prelada campsite. However, we arrived at the gates of the Prelada campsite just days after the festival had finished last year only to find that it was closed - and it looked like it was for good! :) - so not sure about this year.

Does this mean that Super Bock Super Rock Porto and Super Bock Super Rock Lisboa have now become one day festivals?

Understandable, I suppose, considering the current financial climate - and the lack of camping facilites - at least as far as Porto is concerned. Do you think that Optimus Alive is also likely to be reduced to a one day festival?

i emailed the optimus alive folk (sad but true) who confirmed the dates, the fact it is defo happening and that it will remain a 3 day event.

they have no bands, at all, as yet hence the lack of info. shouldnt be long though. i am finding it much harder to get info on the portugal festivals this year than last year.