Went to Temple Newsam today

Guest VCK

Well I had a bit of time to kill before College today so I decided to hop aboard the 18A and visit the former site of Leeds fest. I didn't start going to Leeds fest until 2005 so obviously I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to Newsam but I've seen plenty of pictures and maps so know rougly where which bit is which. I also have three pics - One of the big hill overlooking the main stage, one stood on top of the big hill overlooking the stage and one of what I believe is Jimmy/Timmy Hill. Will upload them later.

Well one half of the arena, leading to red camp and pooh bridge has been shut off by barbed wire. What is noticeable is how much smaller it is than Bramham. The newer looking Main Stage is massive and would probably struggle to fit in the field. And I know what people mean when they say the campsites at Bramham are better as the former yellow camp seems to have been connected to the arena via a dirtpath only.

But yeah. The place was so quiet and serene, and the only noise was from the M1 in the distance. So it's hard to believe that this was the scene of such horrific rioting.

Really? I seem to remember the arena being bigger there. Maybe it was just because it was more cleanly laid out, or maybe it was because I was smaller =)

I think one of the campsites stretched pretty much up to where the M1 is. And (without any disrespect to anyone that did end up of the wrong end of it) there was never 'horrific rioting'. Aside from a few easily avoidable pockets of w*nkers fighting with the authorities (or more frequently w*nkers FROM the authorities beating up kids) it really wasn't much more extreme than what happens these days, just the fires were bigger because of the massive blocks of portaloos. It was always possible to sit on the hillside, watch everything burn in the distance and enjoy finishing off your alcohol supply =)

I remember a while back someone posted an outlined map of the site using Google Earth, marking where the campsites were, including where Yellow was in both 2001 and 2002. Would it be possible for this to be posted again? For some reason all posts before 2007 have recently been deleted...

• 6 months later...