DEFTONES

LACUNA COIL

A7X

MACHINE HEAD

Dragonforce

Enter Shikari

Bring Me The Haircuts

Scars on Broadway

But we all know AC/DC are heading to Reading, as will slipknot to make up for last year. So it will probably end up being Fall Out Boy, Nickelback and New Kids on the Block

Edited by tohellweride

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon the three headliners will be:

Nine Inch Nails - They have to do Download at some point. Plus they will be touring in '09.

Aerosmith - Would be good as the "legendary" headliner, I'm sure a lot of the crowd will enjoy them with their classics. Oh, and they're working on a new album and will be touring in 09.

RATM - Will obviously still be touring in '09 (They still have their own shows as opposed to festivals to do). I'm guessing they'll want to do a UK fest but where will they play? They've already done T and Reading, Download's the only suitable place left.

Machine Head have confirmed their headlining Wacken in 2009, so i guess if they are going to play download at all it will be pretty high up on the main stage.

FRIDAY

Fall out boy, Placebo, Biffy Clyro, Taking back sunday, The Automatic, Kids in glass houses, Youmeatsix, Innerpartysystem

Second stage

Trivium, Dragonforce, Underoath, Bring me the horizon, f**ked up, Norma jean, Chodios, Maylene & the sons of disaster, The Plight

SATURDAY

Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, Slayer, Machine head, Scars on broadway, Alexisonfire, Mastodon, Arch enemy, All that remains, The mirimar disaster

Second stage

Funeral for a friend, Opeth, Clutch, Thursday, 65 days of static, High on fire, The sword, Vessels, Flatlands

SUNDAY

Heaven and hell, Motley crue, Killswitch engage, Anthrax, Black stone cherry, Black tide, Atreyu, Bayside, skindred

Second stage

Mindless self indulgence, Lacuna coil, The Alkaline trio, The Gaslight anthem, Incase of fire, Hundred reasons, Rolo tomassi, exit ten, Secondsmile

I do quite like this line up because it has plenty of good, interesting, up & coming bands,

But, I think it represents the kind of scale download will be going for next year,

This talk of increasing the capacity is a load of shite.

It's hard to underestimate download, when their line-ups get more mediocre, year by year.

Edited by crosswillcastyourshadow

FRIDAY

Fall out boy, Manic street preachers, Panic at the disco, Taking back sunday, Kids in glass houses, Youmeatsix, Innerpartysystem

Second stage

Bullet for my valentine, Lacuna coil, Underoath, Bring me the horizon, f**ked up, Norma jean, Chodios, Maylene & the sons of disaster

SATURDAY

Slipknot, slayer, Machine head, Anthrax, Scars on broadway, Alexisonfire, Mastodon, Arch enemy, All that remains, The mirimar disaster

Second stage

Funeral for a friend, Opeth, Clutch, Thursday, 65 days of static, High on fire, The sword, Vessels, Flatlands

SUNDAY

Heaven and hell, Trivium, Dragonforce, Black stone cherry, Black tide, Atreyu, Bayside, skindred

Second stage

Pendulum, Mindless self indulgence, Incase of fire, Hundred reasons, Rolo tomassi, exit ten, Secondsmile

I do quite like this line up because it has plenty of good, interesting, up & coming bands,

But, I think it represents the kind of scale download will be going for next year,

This talk of increasing the capacity is a load of shite.

It's hard to underestimate download, when their line-ups get more mediocre, year by year.

Based on what? The whole reason I made this thread was that people just keep making wild guess's without any reason or logic. Every Download main stage line up is mainly a result of whose touring European Festivals that year....aka if theres big names (like Tool, Metallica, Iron Maiden) doing lots of shows, then Download are likely to get them, if there's not then they end up with Lostprophets and The Offspring!

There are clearly alot more bands gonna be touring next year than this one, so that will give the Download organisers alot more options!

I just don't see what kind of calibre of bands Download will be able to book. The event is now confirmed for the 12-14th at Donington Park happening in the same arena as last year. There were supposedly 46k campers last year and that arena seemed pretty full to me. THe amount of day tickets they sold was negligible, even for the Kiss day it was less than 5k. How many more people could you realistically have got in that mainstage? On that logic, even if they got 55k campers in I don't think they'll have the budget to book 3 huge headliners.

There were plenty of big names around this year but Download didn't get them. You say there's clearly a lot more bands touring next year, who?

There's talk of turning the mainstage round to face the other way but I've seen nothing concrete about this. I'd like to think Download was going to book some huge bands but I've seen nothing that makes me think it'll happen.

I just don't see what kind of calibre of bands Download will be able to book. The event is now confirmed for the 12-14th at Donington Park happening in the same arena as last year. There were supposedly 46k campers last year and that arena seemed pretty full to me. THe amount of day tickets they sold was negligible, even for the Kiss day it was less than 5k. How many more people could you realistically have got in that mainstage? On that logic, even if they got 55k campers in I don't think they'll have the budget to book 3 huge headliners.

There were plenty of big names around this year but Download didn't get them. You say there's clearly a lot more bands touring next year, who?

There's talk of turning the mainstage round to face the other way but I've seen nothing concrete about this. I'd like to think Download was going to book some huge bands but I've seen nothing that makes me think it'll happen.

They've been buying alot more land around the new arena, yeah I was not happy with it this year but it's been made apparant it was only tempoary and they will be expanding alot.

As for bands...

Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Metallica, RATM, Slipknot, AC/DC all big 'headliner' bands.

All new albums and/or touring lots.

Then there's bands like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins who haven't done it yet but have done Reading recently.

Then of course the much rumoured Sepultura reunion could come to fruit any time....

Metallica will probably come back, Slipknot and NIN wouldn't headline anywhere else but suppose it would be a massive improvement on this year and all 3 are top live bands.

The rest I can't see, if Rage come back they would most likely do their own stuff as this would pay far better - as surely would AC/DC. There's always bands like Rammstein rumoured every year but it never happens.

As for SP, i really hope not. I would imagine the unbelievable number of empty seats at their arena tour in February will put LN off bothering (like the MEN being at about 15-20% capacity at best.) One of those bands that everybody thinks are a lot bigger than they are, I'm certainly not having that they'd be a big draw. Yes, they headlined Leeds the other year but that was their comeback and to be honest with you I can't recall seeing the mainstage any emptier than that for a headliner in the 5 years i've been going.

All the "we nearly got.." nonsense from the fan forum pissed me off when making excuses for the headliners. You can't nearly have a band, they either agree to play and they sign a contract or you were negotiating with them but they chose elsewhere or not to bother at all, in which case they were never booked and you shouldn't be naming them saying you nearly had them! There was almost an admittance that the headliners weren't good enough at the fan forum and they pretty much laid the blame on this year's headliners on other bands choosing not to play at the fan forum, ridiculous.

Co-incidence that Galbraith leaves and the festival turns out those bands, that layout and a 65% turnout? They need to pull their finger out this year, people might go once and put up with those bands and the layout off previous reputations but they won't do it twice. I know some on here didn't mind the situation this year but judging by the complaints of people there and a lot of stuff afterwards a massive number did and I think a lot of people who were in the "I'll never miss a Download" thinking, might well think twice this year unless it's back to the standards of a few years back.

Nine Inch Nails do headliner festivals, both in Europe and the United States.

Slipknot have been healdining the Rockstar Mayhem tour in the US, and with 4 albums and big tours I think it's reached the time for them to move up to headliner, or if not then at least 2nd billing.

Rammstein hasn't happened before because Download's not fitted in their schedule. They've only toured the UK one year that Download has been going, and did their own tour (1 in Feb and then 1 in the summer) and as their doing a new album the timing should work out right this time round. Hopefully!

I don't really want the Smashing Pumpkins either as they were pretty poor in febuary.

cos they will get ACDC, for several reasons:

1. Melvin wouldnt deny it (he did the same with RATM last year)

2. Reading/Leeds will give them more exposure (160,000 festival goers as opposed to 80,000 at download, unless it gets expanded but i doubt that)

3. Reading always gets big bands like this first, then Download if they're lucky will get them the next year, neil would argue its a business decision by CCE but i think its more to do with the superior skills of the MeanFiddler booking team or the size of the gig.

cos they will get ACDC, for several reasons:

1. Melvin wouldnt deny it (he did the same with RATM last year)

2. Reading/Leeds will give them more exposure (160,000 festival goers as opposed to 80,000 at download, unless it gets expanded but i doubt that)

3. Reading always gets big bands like this first, then Download if they're lucky will get them the next year, neil would argue its a business decision by CCE but i think its more to do with the superior skills of the MeanFiddler booking team or the size of the gig.