2009 Rumours

Guest Spiral_Low

Ok, now we know there will be a Download 2009 and because we are bored lets get a list of bands that we think will play, listing actual evidence/reasons for them.

And no, don't just list headliners of wild guesses! You have other threads for that :lol:

I'll get the ball rolling.....

Rammstein - New album being worked on, festival organisers talk of 'big band that hasn't played before', have been asked every year

Machine Head - Say they are touring all next year, mentioned 'summer festivals' http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=48911

Nine Inch Nails - Touring new album with kinda new line up, doing America this year so likely to do Europe next year. On downside Trent not fond of festivals.

Metallica - obvious reasons

Slipknot - obvious reasons, though may do Reading/Leeds to make up for no show

Mariyn Manson - Working on new album so will likely tour it, have Twiggy back in the band etc

Arch Enemy - Touring new album, played 3 times before but not this year

Devildriver - Have basically said they want to play whenever they are allowed! Due a main stage after big sucess in the tent

Lacuna Coil - new album due before then

Lamb Of God - new album due before then

Added since:

Ashes Divide - New band from APC guitarist/songwriter Billy Howerdel, touring loads in US at moment

Deathstars - new album

Trivium - New album

Edited by Spiral_Low

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone?.... no?......AC/DC?

Fall Out Boy are a good shout very headliner / second headliner, new album due out and Download is trying to expand it's appeal with that sort of market. Could see them top 2 with Panic! or 30STM's or someone.

Ermmmmmm, Mastodon are due an appearance with a new album, Avenged Sevenfold haven't returned since their 4th and Trivium are dead-certs for a top 3 slot too with the new album and all. I reckon Funeral For a Friend will play 4th or 3rd mainstage too, hmmm.

Ok, now we know there will be a Download 2009 and because we are bored lets get a list of bands that we think will play, listing actual evidence/reasons for them.

And no, don't just list headliners of wild guesses! You have other threads for that :lol:

I'll get the ball rolling.....

Rammsein - New album being worked on, festival organisers talk of 'big band that hasn't played before', have been asked every year

Machine Head - Say they are touring all next year, mentioned 'summer festivals' http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=48911

Nine Inch Nails - Touring new album with kinda new line up, doing America this year so likely to do Europe next year. On downside Trent not fond of festivals.

Metallica - obvious reasons

Slipknot - obvious reasons, though may do Reading/Leeds to make up for no show

Mariyn Manson - Working on new album so will likely tour it, have Twiggy back in the band etc

Arch Enemy - Touring new album, played 3 times before but not this year

Devildriver - Have basically said they want to play whenever they are allowed! Due a main stage after big sucess in the tent

Lacuna Coil - new album due before then

Lamb Of God - new album due before then

I think we'll get:

Billy Talent - New album out soon, went down extremely well headlining the 2nd stage in 07

Enter Shikari - Same as BT with new album out soon.

Airbourne and Stone Gods will play again cos they had massive crowds this year

Personally i hope Less Than Jake will play, they were awesome at Leeds!

placebo? haven 't they got a new album due out soon.

& I was thinking a perfect circle might give it a go, what with tool being a bit redun dant atm

I'd have thought ISIS might give it a go aswell.

along with, Circa survive, The Ocean, Mirimar disaster, The plight, Ghost of a thousand, These monsters, Johnny foreigner.

I think the following are dead certs:

Scars on broadway, Youmeatsix, Black tide, Black stone cherry, bring me the horizon, Underoath

I reckon the likelihood of AC/DC headlining is slim at best- they're most likely to be at Leeds & Reading with Arctic Monkeys and Green Day. Realistically, my guesses would be:

Friday

------------------

MUSE

MARILYN MANSON

TRIVIUM

Saturday

------------------

SLIPKNOT

AVENGED SEVENFOLD

GLASSJAW

Sunday

-------------------

DEFTONES

WEEZER

COHEED & CAMBRIA

I reckon the likelihood of AC/DC headlining is slim at best- they're most likely to be at Leeds & Reading with Arctic Monkeys and Green Day. Realistically, my guesses would be:

Friday

------------------

MUSE

MARILYN MANSON

TRIVIUM

Saturday

------------------

SLIPKNOT

AVENGED SEVENFOLD

GLASSJAW

Sunday

-------------------

DEFTONES

WEEZER

COHEED & CAMBRIA

Gotta agree, don't think Deftones would headline either.

Plus Glassjaw that high up? Coheed And Cambria again? Avenged Sevenfold after the amount they've pissed off UK promoters? Muse who are on a 'break'? Weezer who wanted to do Reading this year so will most likely do it next? Can't really see that line up happening....

Why not have Trivium headline one night, depending on the reception of Shogun I think they could be absolutely massive. I have a feeling Metallica won't play download until 2010 when they finish the touring cycle for Death Magnetice I think they might headline to give the album a send off before they take a break and start the next record.

Also I think AC/DC or Aerosmith will be the "Monsters of Rock" band for one night depending who Reading/Leeds get and the other headliner I'm not too sure on...Maybe Rammstein or Tool...or Green Day! That would be a nice balance:

AC/DC or Aerosmith...Green Day...Trivium

I'm not sure who the "legend" headliner would be, but i woudln't be surprised if the other two were Trivium and Machine Head

I would. I would be very surprised. Neither have much chance of headlining Download. Neither have enough mainstream appeal. Machine Head have an outside chance of fitting into a Tool style "cult" headlining spot. But Trivium are just a metal band for people who don't actually listen to alot of heavy music, and therefore can't see how poor they are.

"Mainstream" appeal? Since when do people go to download to watch "Mainstream" bands?? Its sad times.... :rolleyes:

Also, out of all the metal (if you can call Trivium metal..) bands, Trivium are more mainstream than most???

Which "Mainstream" bands would you think are possible headliners for Download??

Edited by Lithium05

Maybe mainstream was the wrong word. But it's all about crossover appeal, a band like Tool can only headline when the other headliners are as big as GNR and Metallica.

If it was (eg.)

Machine Head

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Then the other bands would sell the weekend to the more casual fans, and the sort of people who go every year regardless of line-up get the "cult band" they've been screaming for, that wouldn't bring in enough punters if you had just that sort of band.

(Edit: I hope I'm making sense, I'm a bit knackered right now, and can't tell if I'm accurately getting my point accross!)

I'm just going to throw this out there, but what about Motley Crue?? (just suggesting because i've really been getting back into them lately).

Possibly high up on the mainstage? I know most of their fanbase are America based, but they've had a new album out and has been raved about in American press? :rolleyes:

I agree with the cross-over appeal point, you can only have a band that has a "cult" following healine if the other two are largley successful bands