2009 Headliners - Place your bets now

Guest Ed209

I still dont get glasvegas, they sound the same as well most indie bands but are given this "special" status.

This isnt something ive found with klaxons, foals, arctic monkeys, mgmt or mystery jets. Other bands given a special status.

But some people talk about them as if they are going to be the greatest band ever...i just dont get it.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still dont get glasvegas, they sound the same as well most indie bands but are given this "special" status.

This isnt something ive found with klaxons, foals, arctic monkeys, mgmt or mystery jets. Other bands given a special status.

But some people talk about them as if they are going to be the greatest band ever...i just dont get it.

NME bum the arctic monkeys, but which publication doesnt?

Im suggesting its going to be an odd year, with Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Green Day.

Id rather Kings of Leon instead of Muse though. I think the Monkeys and Green Day are dead certs, with the last position well...anyones.

Id love, love love love love love REM. But i just cannot see it happening.

Does annoy me that bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Pixies, Iron Maiden; all get a definite look in, despite them not making any real music any more, whilst older bands like REM do not. The sunday has been reserved for the legendary hard/alternative rock acts, yet bands just as good and probably more popular amongst the current reading crowd do not. REM, the Who, etc.

Iron Maiden are still releasing albums that are pretty successful.

REM would be an interesting choice - and I don't know how big a crowd they'd attract. Their main fanbase (based on Twickenham yesterday) seems to be very much in the 30 - 40 year old age bracket which is pretty obviously not your average Reading festival goer. If they were to do solely a greatest hits set then I think they'd go down well, but I don't think they've got either the youth mainstreamness of a Killers or a Franz or a heavy alternativeness of a Metallica or Smashing Pumpkins to really work.

I reckon AC/DC are nailed on for either Sunday at Reading or Download next year.

As for the rest; I don't reckon you would get 2 bands as big and expensive as Green Day and DC at the same Reading Festival Weekend. Either or.

As for the rest, my money is on any 2 from; Kasabian, Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Muse, Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand.

All these will have 'product' to promote and unless any go down the track of their own big gig, you can guarantee they will occupy headline slots at reading, V and Glasto.

I too would like REM, and would say they are a Saturday band rather than Sunday. That would probably screw the budget for the Sunday headliner mind!

You can bank on Weezer, Slipnot, Glasvegas, Soulwax/2ManyDJs and Gallows somewhere on the bill as well I reckon.

Iron Maiden are still releasing albums that are pretty successful.

REM would be an interesting choice - and I don't know how big a crowd they'd attract. Their main fanbase (based on Twickenham yesterday) seems to be very much in the 30 - 40 year old age bracket which is pretty obviously not your average Reading festival goer. If they were to do solely a greatest hits set then I think they'd go down well, but I don't think they've got either the youth mainstreamness of a Killers or a Franz or a heavy alternativeness of a Metallica or Smashing Pumpkins to really work.

Edited by VCK

AC/DC seem to be certs.

And it's about time Oasis played Reading again too.

Aslong as it ain't Foo Fighters or Green Day - ie exactly the same f**king thing we've seen them do time and time and time again.

Edited by MM Punk

AC/DC seem to be certs.

And it's about time Oasis played Reading again too.

Aslong as it ain't Foo Fighters or Green Day - ie exactly the same f**king thing we've seen them do time and time and time again.

Main Stage;

Oasis

Arctic Monkeys

Kaiser Chiefs

NME / Radio 1;

Klaxons

Maximo Park

Biffy Clyro

Although i would love The Cribs to have a permanent headlining slot in the tent as they were the highlight of my festival again !!!!

They'd draw a decent crowd, but I think it'd be reminiscent of Pearl Jam or Pixies (both at Leeds) where the field was very empty compared to other headliners - and in Pixies case, compared to The Killers beneath them. I'd also be concerned like I said that if they played a reasonable amount of pre-Green early in their set that people would just wander off as it'd be very unfamiliar.
Edited by VCK

But Pearl Jam and Pixies (and Smashing Pumpkins) are all cult-sized bands who basically belong at Reading and Leeds more than anywhere else, whereas R.E.M. are internationally huge and would suit headlining any UK fest (except Download, of course!), they've been playing their own outdoor gigs this year, a lot of which had sold out. Maybe the field won't see an RATM/RHCP-sized crowd but I can imagine it being pretty packed.

Main Stage;

Oasis

Arctic Monkeys

Kaiser Chiefs

NME / Radio 1;

Klaxons

Maximo Park

Biffy Clyro

Although i would love The Cribs to have a permanent headlining slot in the tent as they were the highlight of my festival again !!!!

Im not a massive fan of the Kaiser Chief's, but they will have a Third Album out early next year.............Razorlight headlined after 2, and i think the organisers will try and get as many British headliners as possible after this year.

... Ok... Maybe if that was one day... Actually no, not even then.

That would be a fail of epic proportions. Thankfully there's no chance of that happening, as FR will more than likely get GOOD bands to headline the main stage. You might be right about the NME stage though, as that's where the overhyped shit usually likes to hide itself.