Suggestions for 2009 line up?

Guest andyblack

I don't think theres one of these yet (if there is, please feel free to delete this). So here is your chance to put your suggestions up for debate for your the one band you think have been missed and should be considered (so, theres really probably no need to list the doves or james, they've already been suggested to death).

i've just discovered the cribs (i know, around for years, but i cant stand listening to zane lowe, so im a bit slow).

so I'll start with them.

and edwyn collins

and utah saints

and juliana hatfield

and the house of love

and bec goldsmith

and mj hibbett

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give a +1 to Andy's shout for The Cribs - especially now Johnny Marr plays with them. And a +1 on not abiding Zane Lowe - Im not sure what the purpose of this man is.

I'll add

The Cure (I can dream!)

Alabama 3

Neville Staples or Dub Pistols or both

Hadouken

Campbell and Lanegan

I am Kloot

Zoey van Goey

Fangs

Chris Helm again please

Tom Hingley

Hobo Jones and the Boneyard dogs

Dreadzone

Levellers

Edited by llcoolphil

kevin hewick was raving about chris helme to me the other day, and said he was brilliant at ssw.

i'd like jerry dammer's spatial aka orchestra as well i think.

i watched the film of the cribs at reading. i always thought that ryan was a complete wally (and i fancied kate nash), however, they were brilliant with johnny marr.

Edited by andyblack

I posted on the facebook page about this...

My list contained:-

Alabama 3

The All New Adventures Of us

Apples In Stereo

As In Rebekkamaria

Bishop Allen

Bonnie Prince Billy

Caribou

The Cat Empire

Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip

The Decemberists

Devendra banhart (again)

Emiliana Torrini (again - new album great)

Fleet Foxes

Friendly Fires

Friska Viljor

Gogol Bordello (as a headliner)

Half man Half Biscuit

Hawksley Workman

Hello Saferide

It's a Musical

Jape

Jens Lekman

Johnathan Rice

Johnny Dowd

The Lilac Time

Lloyd Cole

Los Campesinos

The Lucksmiths

Momus

My Morning Jacket (as another headliner)

Of Montreal (again because they were so good!)

Okkervil River

Old 97's

The Polyphonic Spree

Ruby Suns

Stars

Sufjan Stevens

Truckstop Honeymoon

Vampire Weekend

Wave Pictures

Yeasayer

The Beat

Any of those would make me a happy man....

Sean

Again, I posted some of these on Facebook, but just in case, this is my slung together list:

Archie Bronson Outfit

Au Revoir Simone

Bat For Lashes

Bearsuit

Broken Records

Clinic

Darren Hayman

David Holmes

The Decemberists

Doves

Emmy The Great

Final Fantasy

Grizzly Bear

I'm From Barcelona

Jens Lekman

Jonquil

Los Campesinos!

The Lucksmiths

Lucky Soul

Mary Hampton

Mew

Misty's Big Adventure

Mumford and Sons

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds/Grinderman

Okkervil River

Port O'Brien

Sky Larkin

SixNationState

Slow Club

The Spinto Band

Stereolab

Thomas Truax

TV On The Radio

The Walkmen

The Wave Pictures

The Week That Was/School Of Language

Wire

Is there also a likelihood that after John Cooper Clarke and Henry Rollins the spoken word slot will become a regular feature?

Doves

James

Embrace

Starsailor

James Dean Bradfield (another solo album on the way i have heard)

Rodrigo y Gabriela

The National

The Music

American Music Club

Secret Machines

for the upper half of the line up anyway!

it will probs be more along the lines of the ting tings and we r scientists tho :D

but ye another call...we need David Wyatt back on the bill... :D

Edited by InMuseWorld

Doves (has to be said!)

The Only Ones

I Am Kloot

The Hold Steady

The Cat Empire

Kissmet (every year!)

Dreadzone

Soulwax

Lloyd Cole

Bellowhead

Gogol Bordello

Teddy Thompson

Duke Special (again)

Belle & Sebastian (again)

Richard Hawley (again)

Some general wishes:

-Some genuine Jamaican reggae or ska (or both). Skatalites played elsewhere this year and would have been great at SSW. We seem to have some middle-aged British blokes playing ska every year - why can't we get the real thing?

-Some African music - not very specific, I know, but let's have a bit more variety. Rise Kagona was a breath of fresh air the other year. Orchestre Baobab would be good, and there's no shortage of younger African musicians around who are doing good stuff.

-More bands who haven't played SSW before - the last thing I want to see is bands who've played before and were less than great.

-More good local bands (e.g. Her Name Is Calla, and most from this year), less mediocre ones (e.g., er, let's not go there)

-More great bands I won't have heard of before - it's always nice to be surprised

-Obviously we'll be wanting to keep the Saturday headliner theme going - maybe Hazel Dean for next year?

-Free entry (for me).

...and you can add me to the Zane Lowe list - can't be doing with him. Nearly as bad as George Lamb.

GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS, GLASVEGAS.

ed went to see glasvegas last night in brum.

im going to see them tonight in stoke.

david wyatt probably holds the records for the most ssw appearances ????

Her name is calla would probably really suit the festival nowadays, a couple of years ago they werent there yet. DWC will clearly agree on that one.

a potential saturday headliner is worth a topic on it's own i reckon.

american music club would be brilliant. they're playing the musician on sep 10th, thanks to those lovely magic teapot people.....

Edited by andyblack

yeah ssw was a little to late to get laurel aitken, which would have been pretty superb. i never had the chance to see him.

im a bit lost on the ska every year. i know people love it, and its an ace crowd pleaser. but like i said before, unless it involves a bunch of blokes from coventry circa 1979, it all sounds the same to me, and yes could someone please simply remove no doubt from the surface of the planet?

amazingly, the two acts to enquire about fringe places for next year, (and god knows where they heard of us from) are lee latchford evans from steps and EMF.......