How was it for you?

Guest Frogger_Queen

It is interesting, however vaguely unsuprising that "16-18 year old posh c*nts" are being blamed for the campsite agression - being a 17 year old at his second Reading Festival, I can honestly say I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. The core problem I think (having only been the last couple of years) is the music the audience is aimed at. Take a quick flick through earlier line-ups - mostly alternative bands with genuinely inspiring choices of bands, especially for the smaller tents. Now, I have found myself disappointed not only for the lack of truly great bands and not ones that have popped up the the last year or so, with most of the line up having recieved some form of championing by the NME or similar (the dance tent especially being appauling - Holy f**k for me being the only true highlight, and CSS headlining? Really? UNKLE last year were fantastic). Of course, with mainstream attention comes the attention of the mainstream public and the edging out of "true" music fans (I say 'true' with a slightly prentious edge, but I'm sure most of you get what I mean).

And of course, this mixed with alcohol and Reading being the final shazam of the summer before the masses go back to their A-Levels causes the experience to be ever so slightly marred for the people who are there not primarily for the "festival atmosphere" but for the music - granted, atmosphere certainly helps, and I'm not going to be the one frowning at a bin rave, a BOLLOCKS (or buttscrather) or general japery, but when walking down the main paths mostly finds people my own age wearing near enough identical clothes (those thin head bands girls were wearing and the kayne glasses were everywhere), off their face thinking it's funny to show off to their mates by sheer rudeness and the truest form of c*ntery, it all seems like a bit of a shit drunken parade to get as many Facebook photo opportunities as possible (this goes for people taking pictures of themselves during bands as well - why? why? why?)

While I am probably going back to Reading next year, I truly hope that Reading sorts it act out - this require not only effort from the organisers (who, by this point, understandably probably care less about pleasing the minority of 'true' (sorry) music fans and rolling in the dirty fat cash), but also from the people. Which, lets face it guys, isn't really going to happen. I'm off to ATP this Chrismas, hoping that the line up choice is enough to deter away people who are there simply to blow shit up. I wish the audience of Reading was as mature as festivals such as Lovebox, but I'm finding the trend is that the younger the audience, the worse the crowd. Yep... sorry about that guys, most of us don't really have much taste.

OH, and also, next time someone jeers at me for being young at Reading, they'll get this same long, dreary speech. Take that(!).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd Reading/6th festival

Good:

The 3 headliners we saw Rage/Manics/Metallica... All downright emmense.

Our rather giddy but sweet neighbours in Brown that formed a welcoming committee on the Thurs night.

Various other acts like seasick steve/anti flag/feeder

The recycling point for equipment. Nice to see CATs going round and packing up discarded tents on Monday and the people by the collection point were very helpful and enthusiastic.

The snake I found on Monday - so cute!!

Bad:

The twat'y men that pissed anywhere. I don't mind hedgerows/walls etc (thats rather expected) but when a bloke just lets rip right behind you in the middle of main stage (just before Metallica) then calls you posh c**ts for moving away ... well I was ready to deck him.

The very wierd atmosphere that hung over the campsite all weekend. Wasn't always the most comfortable of feelings.

The D (oooh contriversial) ... compared to thier tour in 06 they seemed bored. And the "jokes" were just to forced.

It is interesting, however vaguely unsuprising that "16-18 year old posh c*nts" are being blamed for the campsite agression - being a 17 year old at his second Reading Festival, I can honestly say I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. The core problem I think (having only been the last couple of years) is the music the audience is aimed at. Take a quick flick through earlier line-ups - mostly alternative bands with genuinely inspiring choices of bands, especially for the smaller tents. Now, I have found myself disappointed not only for the lack of truly great bands and not ones that have popped up the the last year or so, with most of the line up having recieved some form of championing by the NME or similar (the dance tent especially being appauling - Holy f**k for me being the only true highlight, and CSS headlining? Really? UNKLE last year were fantastic). Of course, with mainstream attention comes the attention of the mainstream public and the edging out of "true" music fans (I say 'true' with a slightly prentious edge, but I'm sure most of you get what I mean).

And of course, this mixed with alcohol and Reading being the final shazam of the summer before the masses go back to their A-Levels causes the experience to be ever so slightly marred for the people who are there not primarily for the "festival atmosphere" but for the music - granted, atmosphere certainly helps, and I'm not going to be the one frowning at a bin rave, a BOLLOCKS (or buttscrather) or general japery, but when walking down the main paths mostly finds people my own age wearing near enough identical clothes (those thin head bands girls were wearing and the kayne glasses were everywhere), off their face thinking it's funny to show off to their mates by sheer rudeness and the truest form of c*ntery, it all seems like a bit of a shit drunken parade to get as many Facebook photo opportunities as possible (this goes for people taking pictures of themselves during bands as well - why? why? why?)

While I am probably going back to Reading next year, I truly hope that Reading sorts it act out - this require not only effort from the organisers (who, by this point, understandably probably care less about pleasing the minority of 'true' (sorry) music fans and rolling in the dirty fat cash), but also from the people. Which, lets face it guys, isn't really going to happen. I'm off to ATP this Chrismas, hoping that the line up choice is enough to deter away people who are there simply to blow shit up. I wish the audience of Reading was as mature as festivals such as Lovebox, but I'm finding the trend is that the younger the audience, the worse the crowd. Yep... sorry about that guys, most of us don't really have much taste.

OH, and also, next time someone jeers at me for being young at Reading, they'll get this same long, dreary speech. Take that(!).

• 6 months later...
Was in Indigo and was carnage there too.

f_reading0810m_4ba0d29.jpg

f_reading0811m_71d0f70.jpg

I have a photo of the green toilets....

f_reading0811m_dbd7103.jpg

The Angry mob did seem to me to be quite good natured but I guess I was lucky.

However the over crowding is an issue, there was a lot more people than the arena could have ever coped with and add to that the useless toilets made for an interesting evening of milling about in piss mud caked boots.

However over all it was brilliant and I absolutely enjoyed myself.