Which is Best.

Guest Topcat

As a festival newbie I was wondering if any of you can shed any light as to which festival out of Glastonbury and V is the best to go to. I had a fantastic experience at V at the weekend, and have already got booked up ready for next year, and I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into doing Glastonbury as well but she has got it in her head that V is a far more superior festival as opposed to Glasto.

Can anyone help me get some reasons together as to what I can say about Glasto to convince her to go to next year, or basically any reasons why Glasto is the same as, or better than the V fest........I know it's a bit of a long shot, but any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.

Glasto is definitely a must if you haven't done it before, but completely different to V. Much bigger and with a huge variety of entertainment. Expect a more chilled out festival where you can wander around for hours seeing something new each day. Obviously its longer and there is much more music on offer. Me and the wifey split on this one, I prefer Glasto but she prefers V. Not a case of which is best, more a different experience . Tell her to give it a go though, she wont regret it !

I don't think you can really compare the two as they are both so different.

Glastonbury is huge and you could easily go the whole weekend without seeing any Bands as there is so much to do there, whilst V is centred around the music.

All depends on what you want from a festival really.

V festival is tiny compared to Glastonbury but it manages to pack a lot into that small space. If you found it hard work getting about at V then your in for a shock at Glasto, even in the dry it takes forever to get from one stage to another. That said, while V is all about the music I could happily go to glastonbury if there were no acts I particularly wanted to see as there is so much else going on, in fact the reason I did V this year as well as Glasto was I missed so many acts because of all the other stuff.

Where everything is about making money at V and providing the bare minimum they can get away with, at Glasto they go the extra mile doing stuff they really don't have to just to make the place nice. The campsites are a bit rammed to breaking point but there are still enough toilets, I never queued once this year for the toilet nor for very long at the bars. it does help that you can take whatever you like in (no glass) At V it's all "you can't do this you can't do that", at glasto you can pretty much do what the hell you want.

Have a look at these guys on youtube, they just about sum up the fun Here

My mate wrote this after V last year. warning sarcasm alert

don’t even think about buying a ticket for next year’s Glastonbury. It’s rubbish and after experiencing V last weekend I can’t believe people actually consider going all the way to Somerset for Glasto.

Here’s a dozen reasons showing what’s wrong with it.

1. There’s no arena. Honestly. Once you are through the gates you never have to show your fancy wristband or get searched again, ever. Stupid!

2. Because there’s no arena, it can’t close. So you have to keep on having a good time for as long as you want. Crazy!

3. The cheeky sods actually let you take your own booze into the arena, because er, there isn’t one. No more fun stuffing it up your jumper and feeling cute when you get past the friendly security chaps. Bonkers!

4. There isn’t a Gazebo Gestapo, you are stuck with the option of having to buy one and keep dry outside your tent if it rains. Lunacy!

5. You run a serious risk of keeping warm next to your tent at night because you can light a fire. To make it worse, they even give you the wood, free. Madness!

6. They insult your cleanliness by giving you bog rolls, free, as many as you want. Unreal!

7. They make you watch bands for an extra day but make sure that you miss lots of them by providing umpteen other tents for Cabaret, Comedy and Debating etc. The swines.

8. You have to take 2 extra days off work because they make you go on the Wednesday. You have to spend all day Thursday finding your way round and chilling out. Good Grief!

9. You can’t have a moan at the Programme/Lanyard price because there aren’t any people selling them. The boring sods make the programme part of the ticket price. Sheesh!

10. Those enterprising chaps the touts go hungry because your mug shot and personal details get printed on the ticket. You can’t even pay a big mark up on ebay. Drats!

11. Kids under 12 get in for nothing, nowt, bugger all. They get really upset coz they don’t get a wristband. It’s a nightmare.

12. You keep bumping into toilets coz there are too many of them, and urinals, and even special ones that actually don’t fill up. It’s boring not queuing for ages.

I’m sure you’re shocked yet glad that you helped line Richard Branson’s pockets, I mean, he does need the money doesn’t he! So there you go, Glasto Rubbish, V great. It’s so simple!

don’t even think about buying a ticket for next year’s Glastonbury. It’s rubbish and after experiencing V last weekend I can’t believe people actually consider going all the way to Somerset for Glasto.

1. There’s no arena. Honestly. Once you are through the gates you never have to show your fancy wristband or get searched again, ever. Stupid!

2. Because there’s no arena, it can’t close. So you have to keep on having a good time for as long as you want. Crazy!

3. The cheeky sods actually let you take your own booze into the arena, because er, there isn’t one. No more fun stuffing it up your jumper and feeling cute when you get past the friendly security chaps. Bonkers!

4. There isn’t a Gazebo Gestapo, you are stuck with the option of having to buy one and keep dry outside your tent if it rains. Lunacy!

5. You run a serious risk of keeping warm next to your tent at night because you can light a fire. To make it worse, they even give you the wood, free. Madness!

6. They insult your cleanliness by giving you bog rolls, free, as many as you want. Unreal!

7. They make you watch bands for an extra day but make sure that you miss lots of them by providing umpteen other tents for Cabaret, Comedy and Debating etc. The swines.

8. You have to take 2 extra days off work because they make you go on the Wednesday. You have to spend all day Thursday finding your way round and chilling out. Good Grief!

9. You can’t have a moan at the Programme/Lanyard price because there aren’t any people selling them. The boring sods make the programme part of the ticket price. Sheesh!

10. Those enterprising chaps the touts go hungry because your mug shot and personal details get printed on the ticket. You can’t even pay a big mark up on ebay. Drats!

11. Kids under 12 get in for nothing, nowt, bugger all. They get really upset coz they don’t get a wristband. It’s a nightmare.

12. You keep bumping into toilets coz there are too many of them, and urinals, and even special ones that actually don’t fill up. It’s boring not queuing for ages.

I’m sure you’re shocked yet glad that you helped line Richard Branson’s pockets, I mean, he does need the money doesn’t he! So there you go, Glasto Rubbish, V great. It’s so simple!

im goping to do both next year. never done glasto but have always fancied it. like V because it is compact 2 days of fun, however there are lots of clashes (am sure glasto has plenty too).

am moving to south west this year and will only be 20mins from glasto so will become my 'local' festival

I went to both this year and you cant really compare as they are two totally different experiences. Having said that I wont be back at V next year (unless the line up consists of every single one of my favourite bands! :P), Glasto blows it out of the water. I got sick and tired of feeling like V was just trying to drain my bank balance, never felt like that once at Glasto! Loved the relaxed, chilled atmosphere at Glasto never felt like that once at V!

Daggermouth - that list your mate did is hilarious!

Seriously I agree wholeheartedly with the fact you can't compare the two. Personally, V is a big gig in a field, Glastonbury is a whole lot more. The downside is the fact that you may feel going back to V is a bit of a letdown because Glastonbury spoils you!

If it is just music you and your girlfriend are after then probably V is your best bet because there is nothing else to do there.

For an example, this year at Glastonbury on the Sunday I went from Leonard Cohen on the Pyramid Stage to chilling out with the hare krishnas and finally ending up in Downlow in Trash City (an all night area and a 1970 New York Tranny themed disco club) and dancing with two 6 foot transvestites dressed in gladiator outfits, high heels and suspenders until 4.00am.

At V this year on the Sunday I went from watching Muse on the main stage, getting kicked out of the arena and back to my tent before midnight! Nothing else to do/see.

Many thanks to all of you for getting back to me on this thread with advice and tips.

After reading your all of your replies (some of them were really funny as well as very helpful) I now have plenty of ammo to leave work with and I will be printing your replies so I can show my girlfriend that Glasto is definately worth going too. Once again thanks to all, your now all superstars in my book, much apreciated.

everyone should experience Glastonbury at least once in there life, it is absolutly amazing. I went to both this year and while i wasnt looking forward to much to V (only really got tickets cos i didnt know if i would get Glasto ones :P ) i still had an amazing time. This was definatly due to the company i was with tho, i see V as a pee up with your mates in a field with bands. Glasto is a proper festival experience.

The arena and all the rules do my head in, but i know they are there when i get my ticket, so cant complain, but with Glasto you are so free, no one hearding you about or telling you what to do, you can take all your own alcohol and food and not spend a penny there if you so wished. The Hare Krishnas even give u free food, and guess what THEY ACTUALLY HAVE BINS THERE - just another gripe sorry :lol: At night you are not sent back to your tent by men with mega phones, it is party all night, but the best parties are to be had around the campfire at your tent - under a gazebo lol, its just so much more sociable and friendly, you get to meet tons of really nice people.

i did say this would be my last V, but after the weekend i just had, i will definatly be up for it again last year, but that said if i had the choice it would be Glastonbury every time, even if V was free and Glasto was £300 lol - hope that helps :P

Have done both and I wasn't impressed with Glasto @ all (although it was in 07, one the the wettest muddiest years on record) saying that I wasn't impressed with V this year either!!

I would say V for the music/bands & Glasto for the atmosphere (simple as that)

Just a thought.....

Why not try the Leeds/Reading festival? (I have been to countless festivals all over the UK and still consider this to be one of the best all around festivals at the mo)

• 6 months later...

Glasto is a superior experience and cannot really be compared to V musically either. Whilst there are bands that will play both festivals V cannot compare to the depth and variety offered by Glastonbury. Glastonbury really is an eperience in and of itself, from the size and scale of it, the the variety of experiences on offer, to the food, the drink and the people. Second to none for me.

As people have said, V is a bit of a "big gig in a field", I enjoy it but for totally different reasons than I enjoy Glastonbury