Beer tent clearance on Sunday night

Guest mentalista

That was my fifth and last Endorse It, for me it was spoilt on Friday evening when entering the main arena. I was searched on the gate, I don't object to a quick check for weapons or concealed bottles etc. but this was unnecessarily aggressive, rude and intimidating. I don't know why I was singled out for this treatment (maybe the Pronghorn T shirt made me look like trouble), had it been carried out with a smile, a please or maybe a thank-you afterwards I wouldn't have minded, but it wasn't, it was rude and aggressive.

I spoke to a couple of stewards shortly afterwards, (a big thank you to Jed & the lady with him) who encouraged me to complain. This I attempted to do, the woman security officer with "supervisor" on her shirt wouldn't speak to me, a couple of gorillas made it quite clear they weren't interested and saw nothing wrong with their colleague's attitude, I suggested a smile might improve public relations and was told "nobody's told a joke, there's no reason to smile, do you want us to walk round grinning like f***ing idiots?" whilst about half a dozen of his colleagues glared at me intimidatingly from a few yards away.

So, that for me was Endorse It, I never went into the Arena again and left the site when it was dry enough to pack up on Sunday. I know I'm not the only one who had a negative experience with the security team, a few people I spoke to in the queues for the toilets had stories to tell.

Endorse It used to be a very friendly festival, a lot of people have worked very hard to get this festival started, keep it going and keep it bull***t free and I've appreciated their efforts greatly the last 5 years. I have no complaints about the organisers or the stewards, who as usual worked hard and did their best to keep smiling, I just think it's a shame their efforts were undermined so badly by "professional" security operatives.

For me the magic has gone and I'm sad to say I will not be coming back again.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. While I understand that the organisers have a duty to the local council to obtain the licence, and that it is in everybody's best interest to enjoy an event like this in a safe and responsible environment, I was bewildered and eventually pretty disgusted by the attitude and actions of the particular security company hired to police it this year. For example, I saw people being body searched at the gate, even after they'd promptly and happily turned out all their pockets. Is that really necessary? The guards were really rude and physically rough handed, you can forget all about customer care and P.R. All the people they did search were summoned over by an "Oi! You!", not an "Excuse me". I paid £75 to get spoken to like that?! Another nice touch was three guards descending on a small group of young men, snatching their beers off them (SITE beer, NOT smuggled beer) and throwing it away, then ejecting the blokes, who were just normal, quiet, not obviously underage (and, latterly, rather confused!) young men. I really could not see what they had done to incur such seemingly misplaced wrath. All this led me to see the security guards as an intimidating presence, and not what a festival should be about.

This is wrong. Really wrong. Don't endorse this behaviour, guys, I beg you. You all know it's not meant to be like this.

Can I at least suggest you try another security company next year, one that has been trained to do their job in a more professional manner?

Do Not Want, as they say.... kthxbai

Something went very, very wrong this weekend.

Intimidation, out of control attack dogs, poorly trained staff and assaulting women..............................just a days work for ESP Security.

My weekend at Endorse it ended at 4am this morning in an incident provoked by on-site Security that very nearly ended up with them getting a damn good kicking after one of them assaulted a young woman in the beer tent by the main stage.

The DJ had finished, time had been called, no one had asked us to leave and everyone was finishing their last drinks. Out of the blue the two Security blokes with the Attack dogs burst through the door with the dogs barking and lunging at the end of their leads. The dogs were out of control and immediately went for the people on the nearest table by the door and one girl nearly got her face badly bitten as the dog jumped to attack her. The dogs were going mental and going for anyone.

A young girl, upset with the state the dogs were in, approached one of the Security goons who then out of the blue violently double handed punched / shoved her backwards. It caught her straight on the breast bone, lifted her off her feet and she landed flat on her back inches away from cracking her head open on one of the tables with the attack dog lunging at her on the floor.

Now I'm a very peaceful man but if I see a grown man assault a woman then I will make a stand and what happened next was extraordinary. Within a second of the girl hitting the floor nearly every bloke ( and it has to be said many women ) where up and eyeball to eyeball with Security who at this stage were as out of control as the dogs and screaming in our faces to back off. They were shitting themselves and no one moved a muscle in the face of their aggressive and intimidating behaviour. The two muppets with the attack dogs were away on their toes as soon as it turned ugly. It was seriously going to kick off and if it wasn't for who I think was the Security manager arriving on the scene and pulling off the goons they were within inches of getting a good kicking.

I do have to say that the Security manager was a total professional and diffused the situation on his own within minutes and I cannot fault him on his quite extraordinary skill at dealing with what could have turned out to be a very ugly situation, caused, provoked and fuelled by his poorly trained, intimidating ( yeah, right !!! ) and out of control staff.

What the hell are attack dogs doing at a Festival anyway. These are not the same dogs as Police use at Football matches, they are mostly " bluff dogs " trained to be intimidating but never to bite. The dogs used this weekend were Personal Protection dogs, trained to bite and hold on command. Only it was more than obvious that the muppets with the dogs were not their actual handlers and were scared of the dogs and had no idea how to control them. Which is why they spent most of Sunday " guarding " the Cornfield by the Campervan area. Dogs used in Security should be highly trained in conjunction with their handler, they should bark on command and bite on command not lunge and bark and snap at the end of a leash. What really makes me shudder is the fact that so many children are at risk in a situation like this, an out of control attack dog in the hands of a poorly trained handler is a lethal weapon.

And handcuffs, what's that all about ?? My word didn't Security love the fact that they had them hanging from their belts.

What were they for ? Security have no more legal powers than the man on the street, all they have is Citizens arrest just like we do. The use of handcuffs in a Citizens arrest is on the borderline of being illegal and Security staff wear them only for " intimidation " purposes due to the financial consequences of actual use resulting in charges of common assault and injuries caused by handcuffing.

Up until this year Endorse it has been " Old School " but badly trained Security staff, with out of control attack dogs and some " lets pretend " handcuffs at a festival is a new one for me, wasn't like that back then, shouldn't be like that now. I hope I never go to a Festival again where this firm is on-site Security. We had a huge posse of peeps who came down from all over the country to try Endorse it for the first time on our recommendation this year and wont be coming back because of these arseholes. Embarrassed us good and proper they did.

To the girl that was assaulted..... I really hope you report it to the Police, your mates helped you away before I had a chance to talk to you, after what we saw I think every witness to what went on would take the stand for you. I hope you are OK and were not seriously injured.

And a huge BIG UP to every man and woman in that tent at the time that stood up shoulder to shoulder and faced off those w*nkers.

We were the only Old School thing in that tent last night.

And we were magnificent.

Edited by elfskin

Bloody hell mate, sounds a bit nasty.

Having worked in the securtity industry at festivals and events for 16 years, you get the odd arsehole but that just sounds damn right dangerous.

Never really crossed paths with ESP, not familiar with their event profile.. and hopefully going by that I never cross them :rolleyes:

WTF indeed! Wrong wrong wrong. I'm really too old for all this bo770cks. I can't stress enough how much respect I have for Flounder et al, and how much I owe them for some truly fantastic memories. I've been coming for 4 years, and it's been perfect, brilliant. But I WILL NOT tolerate police state mentality on, of all places, a little pocket of people celebrating the ideals of the old community spirited free festivals. Endorset was one of the last venues to survive the rape of the corporate sponsored outdoor events that are laughingly still referred to as festivals. F"[k1|\|g attack dogs and handcuffs. Huh????

Firstly let me start by saying that we are on this and looking into these allegations -. I personally have spoken to the heads of the security and will be doing so again in the morning, as we want to be very clear about both sides of any incident. Then hopefully we'll be able to marry your information with theirs, see the incident book and get a clear picture.

ESP do a lot of festivals and are very experienced. It's never a popular job ejecting people when they want to stay on in the bar at the end of a festival.

I'm by no means dismissing what has been said ( and it is being looked into), but these are quotes from another website....

mr moose wanted to add something about the good selection of well priced food, cheap, rapid towing service and relatively low-key security.

loos great, security very friendly whenever I spoke to them,

There was more food this year too, and the crowd were as friendly as ever and sound security. The only time I really saw the security guards 'active' they were helping out casualties

I never saw any heavy-handed security at all. I heard they were searching people's bags fairly thoroughly on Friday, but that's their job. They were also keen to stop people taking their own drinks in, which is also their job, but I neither me nor any of our group saw anything which made us think they were being over the top.

Having left on Sunday I was not aware of this incident, but after my experience (see separate post) it doesn't surprise me. The "security" operatives I encountered were looking for trouble, and if you look for trouble like they were you will find it (even if you have to start it yourself).

Apparently this was the same security firm as last year, but seemingly working to a different agenda.

This is why I stayed out of the main arena after my experience and went home as soon as I was able too, I didn't want to be anywhere near these thugs.

Loodlini's post in this thread sums it up for me, I've been to every Endorse It, I've always brought people with me and sold it to them on on Endorse it being an old-school, friendly, laid back festival. I can't do that again and I wont be coming back.

I would be more than willing to give a statement.

There was no excuse for what we saw.

A young woman was assaulted by inexperienced Security, out of their depth, with out of control attack dogs.

What are attack dogs doing at an " Old School " Festival ?

What are Police rejects with inferiority complexes doing working for Security Firms ?

Why have they got Handcuffs ?

If you had seen the way that girl had been smashed the the floor, you would have faced off those cowardly pricks.

Get rid of that firm, they are a boil on the face of the best Festival in the UK.

Serious, Attack dogs, handcuffs and Women beaters.

It just aint Rock and Roll !!!

I work security sometimes at festivals as well. Luckily I am able to keep my mobile charged at all times and when I am approached by security I have it at the ready with the sound recorder or camera. I do that from experience of the odd inexperienced dick you can work with.

I would really get in touch with ESP and the festival with as much information as possible.

BUT in my opinion dogs at a festival are just a no no. I for the life of me cannot think of a circumstance when they could be of any real use.

edit> I was going to say i hope it didn't spoil a good time, but lets face it, it's all you are going to remember.

Edited by Planet Dave

I was there and observed the lot and wasn't drunk.

Only these two (and then a third incompetent other) seemed to be out for mischief, and had already brushed up with a few people out by the wheat field and by the disabled toilets. Great de-escalation skills guys..not.

However......

It didn't spoil my weekend...i had a fantastic time, i have nothing to complain about (apart from paying £20 extra to park in a field with no toilets or facilities???), everything was perfect...even with the rain! and the security up until then had been ok, no problems at all.

Thank you for a great time.......still my favorite stomp!

Edited by MsElf

I know the girl and fortunately she is ok. The two guys with the dogs were however completely out of order and very intimidating. I had been in the bar at closedown the previous two nights and when we were asked to leave everything was fine. On the last night the bar was shutting down in the usual fashion and we were expecting security to ask us to leave as they had before. Suddenly without warning the two men with the dogs stood in each exit and the dogs were barking very aggressively. I would like to know what there agenda was as if it was to empty out the bar why were they blocking us in? And why did he have to punch her away was he afraid he couldn't control the dog? There was a complete lack of communication and sheer intimidation and violence, and I am very interested in hearing their account of what happened. It is a real shame as the festival had been great up to that point, I hope that it doesn't put people off going next year.

i have to reply to this one sided convo, i was also in the bar when this happened and also sober as driving home early, but my take on things slightly diff, ppl had been asked to leave loads of times, hands up, me too, and the 2 security guards where getting some right grief, as for the incident with the woman getting pushed over it looked to me like the dog man was protecting her when she dashed towards the dog, a few friends of mine had already left the bar after behaviour of a group of people in there, they felt really uneasy in there.

I have no problem with the security what so ever, it seemed to me they where run ragged all weekend with fence jumpers etc, i saw at least 10 come over, and it pisses me off when i spend my hard earned and they just jump in.

Also my mate lost his moby and the bloke from security took time to ring the names in his phone book until phone was reunited with him.

As in the other thread about searching, doesnt bother me , nothing to hide, and if it keeps scumbag dealers and ketamin users at bay then im all for it.

We had a great weekend, anyone see the 2 guys mudwrestling on sunday? brill

Cheers to everyone concerned

Yeah mate, God help your daughter, wife, girlfriend, friend in the same situation.

You can sit on your hands while a woman is assaulted in front of you and do f**k all, i probably saw you hiding at the back when it all kicked off.

Nobody told us to clear the bar and every real man in that tent stood up and faced off the goons.

Shame you weren't up there with us.

i have to reply to this one sided convo, i was also in the bar when this happened and also sober as driving home early, but my take on things slightly diff, ppl had been asked to leave loads of times, hands up, me too, and the 2 security guards where getting some right grief, as for the incident with the woman getting pushed over it looked to me like the dog man was protecting her when she dashed towards the dog, a few friends of mine had already left the bar after behaviour of a group of people in there, they felt really uneasy in there.

I have no problem with the security what so ever, it seemed to me they where run ragged all weekend with fence jumpers etc, i saw at least 10 come over, and it pisses me off when i spend my hard earned and they just jump in.

Also my mate lost his moby and the bloke from security took time to ring the names in his phone book until phone was reunited with him.

As in the other thread about searching, doesnt bother me , nothing to hide, and if it keeps scumbag dealers and ketamin users at bay then im all for it.

We had a great weekend, anyone see the 2 guys mudwrestling on sunday? brill

Cheers to everyone concerned

Theres no need for any of this. every one will have an opinion, and everyone saw it from a different angle.

it was the dogs which caused the problem....and lifted it to something more.

Yes she shouldn't have gone to pet the bloody dog...anyone with any real age and experience knows that.

As for uneasiness in the bar all i saw was people drinking up and finishing their stories and saying goodbye to their mates, just like the other nights in there.

but the guys at the door where quite politely asking them to back off with the dogs...which was impossible to hear above the barking and them shouting. If he hadn't have belted her across the floor the dog would have ripped her arm off.....WHICH really is the whole point isn't it

Security dogs at festivals?

and with staff who are not competent to control them and who cannot risk assess and have no crowd management skills.

Edited by MsElf

I work security sometimes at festivals as well. Luckily I am able to keep my mobile charged at all times and when I am approached by security I have it at the ready with the sound recorder or camera. I do that from experience of the odd inexperienced dick you can work with.

I would really get in touch with ESP and the festival with as much information as possible.

BUT in my opinion dogs at a festival are just a no no. I for the life of me cannot think of a circumstance when they could be of any real use.

edit> I was going to say i hope it didn't spoil a good time, but lets face it, it's all you are going to remember.

lol! sounds all a little bit too dramatised..

If there is a dog handler, security , police, military which ever then unless your a complete idiot then its obvious thet any sudden moment , aproach toward the dog is going to result in the dog going for you, its wht there trained to do.... wave around on the end of the lead and bite anything that moves basicaly, they bark and snarl and jump and normal people put 2 + 2 together and come up with 4 and know to back off. They wouldnt be so effective if they sat obedient looking cute and boy would you moan if you unwitting stroked it being cute and then it bit you.

so girl or boy.. approaching the dogs was stupid and if she got shoved out the way it possible was a better option than leting her carry on and get her arm ripped off.

I dont belive fot a minute that they bothered to bring dogs in for no reason, Ive been moaning about the lack of secure presence at the endorset festival... meaning they seemed to be run ragged because enough werent hired.

I think youve just had your nose put out of joint by being told to sling your hook and on here trying to drum up sympathy.

personally I have a lot of respect for the dogs and there handlers and whether you think the dogs seemed out of control and there handlers looked like dicks un-able to handle them seems a bit silly, I should think there highly trained and the presence of the dogs obviously worked and cleared the place and no one got ripped to shreds ... job done .. and if I was that handler and the woman approached my dog barking and going I would be rude and imtimidating to to get her the f**k away before she got bit too

hats off to the man who floored her to stop her getting bit.

lol! sounds all a little bit too dramatised..

If there is a dog handler, security , police, military which ever then unless your a complete idiot then its obvious thet any sudden moment , aproach toward the dog is going to result in the dog going for you, its wht there trained to do.... wave around on the end of the lead and bite anything that moves basicaly, they bark and snarl and jump and normal people put 2 + 2 together and come up with 4 and know to back off. They wouldnt be so effective if they sat obedient looking cute and boy would you moan if you unwitting stroked it being cute and then it bit you.