Will Metallica Headline Next Year?

Guest jammy2211

Well, I think alot of people now see it as a given that Metallica will once again be returning to Download. OBviously they've already got a reputation with the festival for playing it numerous times, and a 3 year gap seems far too long for them not to return, plus they're probably gonna be the biggest headliner LiveNation can book so they'll no doubt be desperate to get them signed up, right?

Well I've been thinking if perhaps Metallica might not be interested in Download next year, should the album be a reasonable success and Metallica are of notable size again, you start to think would they really play Download when they can obviously get more money from doing their own stadium shows? Obviously it depends on how the album is received on in the UK, but their current Download headline shows have been off the back of a poorly selling St. Anger and a sick of the studio show.

LiveNation I think will want them to play and they'll sell more tickets if they do headline this year then any other year, I'm just not sure they won't see it as a better option for themselves in 2010.

Obviously it depends on what actually happens to Download next year, I'm just racking my brains for potential headliners at the moment and not finding many.

If they want the so called 120k people the they will need big headliners that will sell tickets... Prob something along the lines of

Friday = Muse

Saturday = Green day

Sunday = Old school band (i want AC/DC but i've been wanting them since 03) so no doubt Maiden/Metallica/ozzy?

Something along those lines unless bookings go tits up again.

If they want the so called 120k people the they will need big headliners that will sell tickets... Prob something along the lines of

Friday = Muse

Saturday = Green day

Sunday = Old school band (i want AC/DC but i've been wanting them since 03) so no doubt Maiden/Metallica/ozzy?

Friday = Muse

Saturday = Green day

Rammstein are very big (for a metal band)...kinda band that would draw people from abroad as well as the UK (as they only seem to tour selected places)...plus they have very wide appeal...aka lots of people would want to see them at a festival even if they wouldn't normally buy their cd's.

As for Metallica....yeah I expect they will be there!

Oh and as for this 120k thing...you can't just base it on headliners, the suporting bill and headliners on other stages would be a major factor as well....

Edited by Spiral_Low

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be happy with Metallica again, they kicked ass in 2006 and again at Reading on sunday just gone, i've seen 'em 5 times now and i'd happily see them more.

Friday = Muse

Saturday = Green day

these headliners would be amazing

Rammstein

ACDC

Metallica

It looks though with the amount of whoring that was going on at Leeds for ACDCs new album that they could be one of the headliners next year, in which unless the rest of the line up is amazing I'll probably just buy a day ticket

2)There are f**k loads of metallers and alternative people in this country just begging for a line up with the likes of Rammstein, NIN, Metallica, Machine Head, Slipknot, Slayer etc all on the same bill. That would sell bucket loads of tickets.

Just look at how bands like Opeth and Arch Enemy have taken off in recent years, before they were very underground now they are doing big tours and selling lots of albums, this just shows how metal has become rather big and how demand for 'harder' rock is expanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Metallica at the O2 last night were amazing. ;)

What was up with the crowd?Four rows from the front standing and no crowd atmosphere at all. :P

And the pit for seek and destroy last song people were going down and being trod on me included come on someone goes down you pick them up not stomp on them some right w*nkers in there last night. :P

after seeing metallica at leeds this year, and wembley last year, it makes me laugh that everyone complains when they come back. They should take a page out of the levellers book and have their own festival, even though i'm nowhere near as big a fan as i used to be as an angry teenager :P they shit on on every big metal act i've seen from a big height (this may change when tool finally decide to regroup, give or take 5 years lol).

Metallica at the O2 last night were amazing. ;)

What was up with the crowd?Four rows from the front standing and no crowd atmosphere at all. :P

And the pit for seek and destroy last song people were going down and being trod on me included come on someone goes down you pick them up not stomp on them some right w*nkers in there last night. ;)

both times i've seen Metallica have been f**king FANTASTIC - they're a brilliant band, with shaky points obviously, but what massive band doesn't have 'em? it seems like its somehow become 'trendy' to bitch about Metallica, and erm, why exactly? napster debacle aside that is! i find it f**king laughable. they're still amazing in my opinion, why complain about seeing them again? you're telling me a headline Metallica show is gonna be shit? oh yeah, cos its the in thing to say it. i think they've weathered worse storms than this current trend. grow up.

(and before anyone slags me off, this isn't aimed directly at people here, just at the general climayte about them online and in media! and i'm not being some Metallica super-fan arse-licker, i've never even bought one of their CDs, i have a few copied tapes and CDs of theirs, but i can appreciate they're awesome)

but anyway, i doubt they'll play, as an article i read claims a European arena tour lasting till summer (i'll post it when i find it) - so i see 4-5 big arena dates rather than 1 festival.

Edited by Salt_On_Everything

both times i've seen Metallica have been f**king FANTASTIC - they're a brilliant band, with shaky points obviously, but what massive band doesn't have 'em? it seems like its somehow become 'trendy' to bitch about Metallica, and erm, why exactly? napster debacle aside that is! i find it f**king laughable. they're still amazing in my opinion, why complain about seeing them again? you're telling me a headline Metallica show is gonna be shit? oh yeah, cos its the in thing to say it. i think they've weathered worse storms than this current trend. grow up.

(and before anyone slags me off, this isn't aimed directly at people here, just at the general climayte about them online and in media! and i'm not being some Metallica super-fan arse-licker, i've never even bought one of their CDs, i have a few copied tapes and CDs of theirs, but i can appreciate they're awesome)

but anyway, i doubt they'll play, as an article i read claims a European arena tour lasting till summer (i'll post it when i find it) - so i see 4-5 big arena dates rather than 1 festival.